Oil Choice, oil consumption

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
Well, slightly different thread from my last one.

I am about 500 miles away from my next oil change which will be 7500 miles since my last one. I was not particularly happy about having to add a quart of oil at 6000 miles.

Thinking of the following options:

• Stick with 0w20 and go back to a 5000 mile interval.
  • Try 5w30 and see if I reduce the oil loss.

Last oil change I did was around a 6500 mile OCI and likewise was almost down a whole quart and when drained it only reached up a bit over the 4 qt mark on the empty 5 qt jug. I always add 5 qts every oil change. Having to add another quart during this OCI around the same mileage seems to confirm that wasn't a fluke and I burn off a quart of oil every 6000-6500 miles. Not sure if it's always done that or not, but seeing as I only DIYed since last year and only actually tracking how much was drained the previous change, not really sure.

Does a quart every 6000-6500 miles seem excessive? It does to me. Anything else I should be doing or looking for? Have never observed any evidence of oil leaks so I wonder if it's the 0w20 combined with my spirited driving style but also a transition to mostly city driving with very little highway these days.

Or, you could keep doing what you're doing, and just add a half quart at about 4k. Consider your consumption "normal for you", and just keep an eye on your level.

Or, you could keep doing what you're doing, and just add a half quart at about 4k. Consider your consumption "normal for you", and just keep an eye on your level.

x2

1qt in 6k miles is perfectly acceptable. Most manufacturers raise the red flag at 1qt every 700-1,500 miles. Add 1/2 a quart when you're 1/2 a quart low then let it be until the end of your OCI.

0w20, 0w30 and 5w30 will treat this engine well.

x2

1qt in 6k miles is perfectly acceptable. Most manufacturers raise the red flag at 1qt every 700-1,500 miles. Add 1/2 a quart when you're 1/2 a quart low then let it be until the end of your OCI.

0w20, 0w30 and 5w30 will treat this engine well.

Alright. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Will just keep doing what I am doing and topping off as needed.

Alright. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Will just keep doing what I am doing and topping off as needed.
Hot weather is coming up, it's a perfect time to use 5W-30 oil and see.

Consuming a quart of oil every 6000-6500 miles isn't excessive but not good either. My 185,000-mile 1998 Honda CR-V consumes very little oil for each oil change at 5,000~7,000 miles interval but it uses 5W-30 oil which is recommended viscosity by Honda.

Hot weather is coming up, it's a perfect time to use 5W-30 oil and see.

Consuming a quart of oil every 6000-6500 miles isn't excessive but not good either. My 185,000-mile 1998 Honda CR-V consumes very little oil for each oil change at 5,000~7,000 miles interval but it uses 5W-30 oil which is recommended viscosity by Honda.

Well summer is coming up. May just give the 5w30 a whirl and see.

Thanks for the advice all!

I like the idea of adding 1/2 quart at ~ 4,000 miles and change at 7,500 when it is down again. My CX5 touring oil level is down about 1/8-1/4 quart in 6,000 miles but, I am a conservative driver about 90% but, go bouncing off the red line frequently the other 10%. Ed

I like the idea of adding 1/2 quart at ~ 4,000 miles and change at 7,500 when it is down again. My CX5 touring oil level is down about 1/8-1/4 quart in 6,000 miles but, I am a conservative driver about 90% but, go bouncing off the red line frequently the other 10%. Ed
I'm a pretty spirited driver. I redline it a lot.

Well if you redline it alot your oil consumption is not surprising and actually probably quite good for running a thin oil.Drive with only occasional redline and consumption should drop.Actually I'd be more worried about timing chain wear by redlining alot with a thin oil.Summer is coming and the way you drive I wouldn't be running a thin 0w-20 oil. JMO Jmaz

Perhaps the high elevation is causing engine oil burnoff? Might want to consider using Amsoil since it has stout NOACK numbers. Pricey but may be worth it especially if you experience no oil consumption in say 8k miles.

Perhaps the high elevation is causing engine oil burnoff? Might want to consider using Amsoil since it has stout NOACK numbers. Pricey but may be worth it especially if you experience no oil consumption in say 8k miles.
We'll see. I grabbed some Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart and OE filter arrived yesterday.

Going to try the 5w30 and see what a report with that looks like and if it burns off less.

Old post but I wanted to say this is likely the source of your oil consumption. Have you tried Red Line or Amsoil? A 5w-30 or 0w-30 also may help.

No, I seem to still need to add oil periodically. I never find any leaks or anything under the car, so guess it just uses it.

No, I seem to still need to add oil periodically. I never find any leaks or anything under the car, so guess it just uses it.
Try to use an oil which meets or exceeds the latest SP / GF-6 standard such as Idemitsu 5W-30 full synthetic. It claims 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer oil life.
I recommend the Idemitsu 5w-30. Idemitsu makes (made?) the Mazda high moly 0w-20

71Yf-H2guNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The best part of this oil is it meets or exceeds the latest SP / GF-6 standard.

It claims the following improvements over GF-6:
  • 30% more protection against engine wear
  • 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer life
  • Up to 24% improved fuel economy
  • 90% more resistant to viscosity increases
  • Three to four times more protection against cold startups
  • 91% reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
  • 6% cleaner engine

What are people considering as oil consumption? For example, over 8 to 10 thousand miles, does the oil level still hit the top hole on the dipstick? Some people don't consider it oil consumption if it moves down from the top hole, but never goes below the lower hole.

Back