Oil Choice, oil consumption

I should probably do another Blackstone test.. haven't done one in years on the CX-5... I'm not easy on my CX-5 and like I said before if there is consumption it is trivial. At this point just sticking with the Mazda moly ..whether worth it or not really have no need to experiment at this point. I totally understand if one has consumption though and trying different oils.
I didn't have luck with that oil in either of my Mazdas. Damn shame, looked to be really good oil.

Warranty requires 0w-20 so I'm not doing the 5w-30. $13.25 per quart...with shipping. Yes, pricey, but not 3X the price. Actually, it was per liter so you're getting more than a quart...
If it makes you feel any better the bottle has a built in spout...lolView attachment 305847
Oh wow, the 5-liter Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 oil comes with a built-in spout! I hope it doesn’t have the foil seal on top and I really hate it since the oil companies started using it. This foil seal is hard to remove cleanly, and it may fall into the container or engine if you aren’t careful. People have been having such problem form time to time, and there’s nothing we can do about it if the pieces of foil been poured into the engine. Have been told by several mechanics that they found pieces of foil frequently when they open up the valve cover.

Foil seal from oil bottle in engine

Speaking about the price, the best I can find for Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 oil is $60.95 / 5-liter + shipping at Blauparts which is about 3X more than 5-quart Castrol Edge ($21.97 at WalMart). Is this oil made in Germany (and that’s why it’s so expensive)?

Oh wow, the 5-liter Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 oil comes with a built-in spout! I hope it doesn’t have the foil seal on top and I really hate it since the oil companies started using it. This foil seal is hard to remove cleanly, and it may fall into the container or engine if you aren’t careful. People have been having such problem form time to time, and there’s nothing we can do about it if the pieces of foil been poured into the engine. Have been told by several mechanics that they found pieces of foil frequently when they open up the valve cover.

Foil seal from oil bottle in engine

Speaking about the price, the best I can find for Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 oil is $60.95 / 5-liter + shipping at Blauparts which is about 3X more than 5-quart Castrol Edge ($21.97 at WalMart). Is this oil made in Germany (and that’s why it’s so expensive)?
All their bottles have built in spouts, no foil. You have to watch for specials at Blauparts to get it cheaper. Like I said, it was just an experiment to see if I would get better oil mileage from an 0w-20, not that the engine was going south. Gas mileage is better for this time of year considering that I'm now running winter tires in cold weather. Usually I'm around 26 mpg with my winter setup, I'm averaging close to 28. I usually average 29 with the regular all seasons in warmer weather. Also noticed with the Amsoil and this oil the engine was considerably quieter. I share your same phobia with the foil.

All their bottles have built in spouts, no foil. You have to watch for specials at Blauparts to get it cheaper. Like I said, it was just an experiment to see if I would get better oil mileage from an 0w-20, not that the engine was going south. Gas mileage is better for this time of year considering that I'm now running winter tires in cold weather. Usually I'm around 26 mpg with my winter setup, I'm averaging close to 28. I usually average 29 with the regular all seasons in warmer weather. Also noticed with the Amsoil and this oil the engine was considerably quieter. I share your same phobia with the foil.
It’s great not to have foil seal on the Ravenol jug. Is the Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 made in Germany? Once there’s a German Catstrol Syntec 5W-30 oil which has much better performance then regular Castrol Syntec 5W-30.

In addition to better MPG by using Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20, may be you can try to keep the TCS off as much as possible to save even more gas.

It’s great not to have foil seal on the Ravenol jug. Is the Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20 made in Germany? Once there’s a German Catstrol Syntec 5W-30 oil which has much better performance then regular Castrol Syntec 5W-30.

In addition to better MPG by using Ravenol Eco Synth ECS 0W-20, may be you can try to keep the TCS off as much as possible to save even more gas.
Yes made in Germany, wording on the bottle is even in German. Will try the TCS off method, I saw that post.

There was one YT video that South Main Auto Repair made, but I can't find it. He said the customer had valve noise practically from when the car was brand new. He took the valve cover off and found a small piece of tinfoil from an oil container that got in it.

There was one YT video that South Main Auto Repair made, but I can't find it. He said the customer had valve noise practically from when the car was brand new. He took the valve cover off and found a small piece of tinfoil from an oil container that got in it.
This’s exactly the same story several mechanics told me before. This foil seal design is on every auto fluid including brake fluid、power steering fluid、ATF、and gear lube nowadays and it has to go!

Checked my oil today and my consumption is pretty good. My last oil change was at 103,640 miles in mid August with 5 quarts of 5w30. Levels still showing within acceptable levels. Maybe half a quart would be warranted (I am at 108k miles now) since 5 quarts doesn't put you at full, but pretty close. All in all, yeah still having oil consumption, but not like before where I checked and it was unacceptably low.

What kind of 5W-30 oil? Castrol Edge?
Pennzoil Platinum right now. But I had been using Castrol Edge, and will probably go back to that. Was thinking of using a high mileage version next oil change.

Was also looking at the GF-6 stuff. Been a while since I looked at anything. Looks like Castrol Edge is rated for that now?

Checked my oil today and my consumption is pretty good. My last oil change was at 103,640 miles in mid August with 5 quarts of 5w30. Levels still showing within acceptable levels. Maybe half a quart would be warranted (I am at 108k miles now) since 5 quarts doesn't put you at full, but pretty close. All in all, yeah still having oil consumption, but not like before where I checked and it was unacceptably low.
So looks like using 5W-30 oil does help to reduce the oil consumption on the 2.5L in your case.

At 108K miles, the coolant replacement is getting close to your next (major and new) maintenance.

So looks like using 5W-30 oil does help to reduce the oil consumption on the 2.5L in your case.

At 108K miles, the coolant replacement is getting close to your next (major and new) maintenance.
Yep, given my mileage trends, expect to be doing that sometime late next year probably.

Back