High Mileage CX-5s - report in

80,742 miles here. Just got around to changing the transfer case oil. It still had a clear golden color to it after 6 years, probably due to whenever it gets run it gets at least 25 miles put on so I guess any contaminants get burned off. Minimal sludge on the bottom oil plug. While I had the bottom cover off I swapped the 0w-20 for 0w-30, engine seems happier with it. Everything looks great under there, dry and clean. I'm not a fan of the bottom cover but it seems to be protecting components down there. Looks like I'll have this for the long haul. Gotta admit I'm impressed more than I thought I'd be with this vehicle. Next will be the plugs and a new set of winter tires.

Our 2017 2L Auto just clocked 100 000km.
Love this SUV

I will be doing front brake pads, filters(oil, cabin & Air) and oil change plus front wiper blades.

Attachments

• IMG-20231012-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20231012-WA0021.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
I have 320,100 miles on our CX5 without carbon cleaning or transmission work except filter and fluid changes. only major problem was a rusted exhaust manifold 4 years back.
did you replace the exhaust manifold? how much did you pay? Having same problem.. (2013)

I have 320,100 miles on our CX5 without carbon cleaning or transmission work except filter and fluid changes. only major problem was a rusted exhaust manifold 4 years back.
That's amazing! I have a 2014 2.5 engine with 158k miles. Just did a carbon cleaning, the accelleration and gas mileage is much better. I was planning on a tranny drain and fill but maybe it's not necessary.

That's amazing! I have a 2014 2.5 engine with 158k miles. Just did a carbon cleaning, the accelleration and gas mileage is much better. I was planning on a tranny drain and fill but maybe it's not necessary.

Owner did state "except filter and fluid changes"

It sounds like they did change filter and fluid

Other high mileage example... '14 GT AWD w/309k miles

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 1.35.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Owner did state "except filter and fluid changes"

It sounds like they did change filter and fluid

Other high mileage example... '14 GT AWD w/309k miles

View attachment 323477
Ah thanks, I didn't read his post carefully. Looks like I'll have to get the tranny serviced with the differential. Are there two, one for the back and a one for the front? Some cars have the transmission double as the diff

Ah thanks, I didn't read his post carefully. Looks like I'll have to get the tranny serviced with the differential. Are there two, one for the back and a one for the front? Some cars have the transmission double as the diff
You can service the transmission fluid, the transfer case fluid (separate from transmission up front), and the rear differential fluid.

162,000 miles here. 2016.5 CX-5 GT, hands down best car I ever own, no issues *knock on wood*. Only regular maintenance like oil change (used only Pennzoil Platiunum syn oil + K+N oil filter), engine and cabin air filter change every year. spark plugs changed at 125k miles, Drain and fill transmission fluid at 150k miles, FL-22 Coolant at 150k miles, belt tensioner + water pump belt + serpentine belt changes at 162k miles

Last edited:
162,000 miles here. 2016.5 CX-5 GT, hands down best car I ever own, no issues *knock on wood*. Only regular maintenance like oil change (used only Pennzoil Platiunum syn oil + K+N oil filter), engine and cabin air filter change every year. spark plugs changed at 125k miles, Drain and fill transmission fluid at 150k miles, FL-22 Coolant at 150k miles, belt tensioner + water pump belt + serpentine belt changes at 162k miles
Somehow I thought you have a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport?

Yep, better late than not doing them at all.

We have a 14.5 and just hitting 150k kms so pretty low compared to some of you. Still runs great, good fuel mileage. The body is in great shape and still puts out a pretty good shine. We did have a few misc problems in the first couple years that were fixed under warranty. Original brakes have lots of life yet. Tranny had drop the pan / drain and filled this past year. I do have a couple jugs of FL22 but haven't got around to changing it yet. Might look for some spark plugs in the near future. Overall a great vehicle. This is the wifes daily driver and she has no intent of wanting something new.

Last edited:
We have a 14.5 and just hitting 150k kms so pretty low compared to some of you. Still runs great, good fuel mileage. The body is in great shape and still puts out a pretty good shine. We did have a few misc problems in the first couple years that were fixed under warranty. Original brakes have lots of life yet. Tranny had drop the pan / drain and filled this past year. I do have a couple jugs of FL22 but haven't got around to changing it yet. Might look for some spark plugs in the near future. Overall a great vehicle. This is the wifes daily driver and she has no intent of wanting something new.
That sounds great and I love my 2014 but let me ask what a 2014.5 is. I 've seen 2016.5 mentioned but don't recollect any 2014.5. Was there a mid-year change?
@ yrwei52, where are you? You are the veritable encyclopedia on this site.

That sounds great and I love my 2014 but let me ask what a 2014.5 is. I 've seen 2016.5 mentioned but don't recollect any 2014.5. Was there a mid-year change?
Yes there was. They improved the front offset crash safety for one thing. Not sure if there were any other changes, but I don't recall any. I was bummed, 'cos the 2014.5 came out a coupla months after we bought our 2014 CX-5 :(

Yes there was. They improved the front offset crash safety for one thing. Not sure if there were any other changes, but I don't recall any. I was bummed, 'cos the 2014.5 came out a coupla months after we bought our 2014 CX-5 :(
Thanks. Well, any changes would not likely be applicable for me since mine was built 9/2013.

IIRC... the surround around shifter changed too on latter '14s

s-l1600.jpg

2015-Mazda-CX-5-shifter.jpg

Mine is like the newer version in the second picture. I never cared for the "ratchet style" shown in the first picture.

Back