High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Infrared reader won't give you an accurate reading, I tried it and compared it to my OB2. Maybe get a thermometer for checking meat temperature and stick it in there if you want to get more accurate.

I have one but I don't think my wife would appreciate it being used for this :)

I think the plan is to skip the pan drop, but definitely do 1 or 2 more drain-and-fills. My OBDII reader doesn't do ATF temp so I have to admit this was not very scientific- while the plastic undercarriage protector was down over the weekend I used an infrared temperature gauge on the pan. I ran the car today roughly as long as I ran it over the weekend to get the correct temp on the pan. Is there a budget option that would work for this? How long do I wait between drain-and-fills?

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

Just an FYI that, if you have a Windows laptop, you can get the Forscan live data tool up and running on it for as little as $20. Forscan currently offers a free download of their software for Windows, and you can buy an inexpensive OBD adapter to read TFT (and a whole lot more as well). The Forscan doc states that they no longer support the lower-priced adapters, however they still work just fine for the simple stuff. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to get TFT the way the manual says to do it. But as always, your vehicle your choice.

I'm frankly amazed that they're giving away such advanced functionality, and suspect that will end someday soon. So IMO it would be a good idea to copy the downloaded installation file to whatever storage media you like to use. I have a couple of copies of that file squirrelled away, just in case.

People usually do multiple ATF changes for higher percentage ATF replacement between 1 ~ 2 weeks with several hundred miles driven.

I'm not sure I understand the "plastic pins at the bottom of the airbox" part but I definitely see the #2 grommets. They are currently attached to my air box. For clarification, the deer strike was a year ago and almost totaled the vehicle. What I meant was that this weekend when doing the work I felt like I didn't pull the airbox out with excessive force that would have broken anything off, and I did not find any pieces indicating that I did.
There should have 2 guide pins stick into these 2 holes showing in your picture.

I went out to my car to take a pic. Sorry, engine bay is dirty! This is from a 2018 CX-9, but the mounting pins for the airbox should be the same.

20230815_075558.jpg

These are what the "pins" look like. In my experience, they don't come off easily, but I think they can come off with enough force. If they aren't still attached to the bottom of the OEM airbox, I'm not sure how else they could have been removed, other than that collision you mentioned. I don't think it's a huge deal if you're missing them though. You could just use zipties to secure the airbox using the same holes.

Maybe the pins are rolling around in one of the undercarriage panels?

Infrared reader won't give you an accurate reading, I tried it and compared it to my OB2. Maybe get a thermometer for checking meat temperature and stick it in there if you want to get more accurate.
Good to know!

@madar Wow, didn't realize that meat thermometers had gotten https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I'll probably just grab one of those. Just put it down in the dipstick hole?

@sm1ke Thanks for the pictures-appreciate that! Hmm.. definitely think that I would have noticed ripping those out the other day. My hunch is still that either the impact of the deer sheered them off, or the garage fixing the vehicle violently removed the airbox. Who knows. Haven't found any piece around in the undercarriage panels or anything.

126,000 miles on it now, hit 10 years old in January of this year. Still working great, no major issues to report. I had my coolant changed back in May or June (I forget), slightly late per the schedule, but was fine.

Did ATF at 118k miles, so will do that again around 150k-ish.

151K on a 2013 CX-5.

I just did the transmission fluid and filter, and have put about 1k miles on it, no issues here changing it that late into the game. I bought the Cx-5 with 120k on it 3 years ago, I unfortunately don't know the past service history. Odds are it was the first fluid change as the trans pan sealant was the factory red that I've been seeing in pictures across the forum. I also changed the transfer case and rear diff fluid while i was in there. Only minor repairs here and there on this platform, such as a bad master cylinder that I had to change at the beginning of the summer, Ball joints and tie Rod ends (Pennsylvania roads are terrible and account for that wear.) I also have a 2014 Mazda 6 2.5NA with manual trans and 181k on the clock. Both have been extremely reliable vehicles.

151K on a 2013 CX-5.

I just did the transmission fluid and filter, and have put about 1k miles on it, no issues here changing it that late into the game. I bought the Cx-5 with 120k on it 3 years ago, I unfortunately don't know the past service history. Odds are it was the first fluid change as the trans pan sealant was the factory red that I've been seeing in pictures across the forum. I also changed the transfer case and rear diff fluid while i was in there. Only minor repairs here and there on this platform, such as a bad master cylinder that I had to change at the beginning of the summer, Ball joints and tie Rod ends (Pennsylvania roads are terrible and account for that wear.) I also have a 2014 Mazda 6 2.5NA with manual trans and 181k on the clock. Both have been extremely reliable vehicles.
Can do drain and fills without dropping the pan. But unless you bought it from someone who knows about that stuff, I agree, likely the first fluid change for the ATF since its not in the service manual.

It would be great to have some type of chart with the results. Any high mileage 2018-2019 NA CX5s out there that did not have a cylinder head crack?
My mother in laws ‘18 is about to hit 60k miles, no problems yet. I’d be very interested to see failure rates too but unfortunately forum results are skewed so heavily towards those who had an issue

My mother in laws ‘18 is about to hit 60k miles, no problems yet. I’d be very interested to see failure rates too but unfortunately forum results are skewed so heavily towards those who had an issue
Good to know! Wonder who has the highest trouble-free miles here on a 2018-19?

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, here -- 113Kmi and going strong. Other than a few normal minor paint blemishes from small sand/stones on the road, it still looks fairly new. Have driven across the country a couple of times.

It's time for the fuel filter, at the next oil change. I need to go over the trim work with the PreWOW/BlackWOW treatment, along with another couple coats of paint sealant, before autumn turns to winter. Need to make an adjustment on the headlight alignment. Need to clean up the engine bay's residues/dust that I haven't yet gone after. Need to install a new cabin air filter. Front brakes will be coming up soon. Standard maintenance.

@GFrosty

IMO: I wouldn’t bother changing that sock filter in the tank

Somebody really cared for that 2015 at the middle link. 3 accidents, but 1 owner with extensive carfax records suggesting ~5k mile oil change intervals.

I have 320,100 miles on our CX5 without carbon cleaning or transmission work except filter and fluid changes. only major problem was a rusted exhaust manifold 4 years back.
Rusted exhaust manifold? But the rest pipes、muffler、catalytic converter aren’t rusted? That would be one of the last items I’d think having the rust problem. :unsure:

I recently acquired a 2014 GT with 158k miles. Although it was from the original owner, it has an mirky service history. He said that they hardly did any repairs on it. The oil pan access panel is missing, and one of the ignition coils is bad - turns out it was the replacement part, not OEM coil. Peeking in the oil filler cap, the valve train looked shiny. Transmission shifts smoothly though. One of the Bose speakers sounded distorted, but the next day after an audio reset, it was fine. Go figure.

Back