Shadow102's RX7 NA build thread

Thanks ike...slowly but surely its coming along...however with the exception of some other things I may be about done with this car and moving onto another project.

Magnum just read his how to I did all the stuff except for the things he did to the quill. I like the idea he had about welding it and I think I may do that as it has the slop right at the begining of turning I want to do away with.

Magnum just read his how to I did all the stuff except for the things he did to the quill. I like the idea he had about welding it and I think I may do that as it has the slop right at the begining of turning I want to do away with.
Did you just de-power your stock steering rack or did you go pick up another one? I don't know which racks came with which models or years but IIRC there were 15:1 and 17:1 powered racks and the manuals were 20:1. I'm pretty sure my GXL has the 17:1 (perhaps the GTUs has the 15:1?), which from what I've read is the more desireable rack to de-power.

Did you just de-power your stock steering rack or did you go pick up another one? I don't know which racks came with which models or years but IIRC there were 15:1 and 17:1 powered racks and the manuals were 20:1. I'm pretty sure my GXL has the 17:1 (perhaps the GTUs has the 15:1?), which from what I've read is the more desireable rack to de-power.

I just de powered what ever was in the car. I knew there was a difference between the manual and powered racks but didn't know about the powered rack differences

How would I be able to tell if my car has power steering? Is there any obvious place to look. It doesn't feel as if it does when the car isn't moving I have to crank the wheel pretty hard.
I got a '90 vert.

There was no manual rack option for the s5 vert so unless somebody removed it you have it and if its that hard to turn it is probably broken

Wait, so this is what a functioning RX7 looks like? Wow! I never knew there was such a thing. :p

Woot guy at work just sold me a safc for $40...granted its not the new fangled unit but still does just about the same

Took the time to wash, polish and wax the whole car yesterday...that paint job is beyond repair and it looks like i will be needing to replace both fenders, the front bumper, and possibly the hood at some point just because of all the damage that has been ill repaired on them. The rear bumper is also going to need replacing and the trunk is going to have to reapinted...but all of it being cosmetic its really low on my list of to-do's.

I was hoping my HID's would have been here already but that was a big no go this weekend. However i did take the time to put in the SAFC. Found quite a bit of rust on the ECU mounting bracket and cover so i sanded it down and painted it. My guess is the leaking roof seals had alot to do with that. Installed the unit per the instructions on 1300cc.com and at first it powered on and i got an RPM reading but the AFM was stuck at 100% and throttle readings were a no go. Turns out in painting the SAFC case (previous owner tried to fiberglass it somewhere and there was resin all over it and the reason i got it so cheap) i must have accidentally pulled the internal plug a little which stopped the AFM and throttle wires from being plugged in. Unit works great now i just need to make a little bracket for it to sit perfect where the ash tray was. I will be borrowing a wideband from amaff sometime soon to set a basic tune...for now i have just removed a couple percent of fuel across the board since these cars run rich anyway.

Next project is going to be building a heat sheild for the header and i think i may put in a oil catch can for the PCV to drain into (found alot of oil in the intake when i put the upper piece on).

DSCF2347.JPG

DSCF2350.JPG

DSCF2351.JPG

DSCF2352.JPG

DSCF2355.JPG

DSCF2376.JPG

I will be borrowing a wideband from amaff sometime soon to set a basic tune...

Car looks good dude. I've got a set of tires for the S2k that need to be mounted... maybe I'll bring it by sometime this week with the tires :p (just need to find a ride that can fit 4 wheels and tires dismounted first ;)

Car looks good dude. I've got a set of tires for the S2k that need to be mounted... maybe I'll bring it by sometime this week with the tires :p (just need to find a ride that can fit 4 wheels and tires dismounted first ;)

Sweet just let me know when

Well been thinking it over a bunch lately but I think I will be putting the car up for sale or local trade...thought I could get around it being convertible but I am just not happy with it. Not sure what I will be getting next but I know in the future I will have another rotary.

Back