CX-60 Rear camera cleaning system

Mazda Japan accessory catalogue lists a system for blowing off water drops from the rear camera:

322239771_543452564340962_1519953505067996015_n.jpg

I can't Google translate it as it's a bitmap, but my rusty Japanese allows me to decipher that it makes five 1.5-seconds long bursts of compressed air onto the camera lens every time you turn on the reverse gear. I asked Mazda in my country and got a formal reply that they are not offering it in Europe due to different road conditions in winter, where mere compressed air wouldn't be enough to clean the lens.

Well, I've lived in Japan for 10 years, driving all over the main 4 islands, and have never experienced drastically different road conditions than in Europe. But I've also learned that trying to convince my Japanese friends that their country is not THAT different from Europe is a lost cause :)

So if someone is adventurous and willing to buy it from Japan, e.g. via Rakuten, I would be grateful to hear if it works with the European CX-60.

Try japanparts.com.
I did not find it though.

Someone claimed that putting a rubber/plastic ring around the camera works well enough by directing water/rain drop around the camera, not over it.

Try japanparts.com.
I did not find it though.

Someone claimed that putting a rubber/plastic ring around the camera works well enough by directing water/rain drop around the camera, not over it.
Also did not find it on Japanparts, but it is on Rakuten: link. Considerably cheaper than in Mazda accessories catalogue, too. I may give it a try :)
And thanks for the rubber ring tip, I'll certainly try it!

RainX.

It doesn't help with dry dusty conditions but helps with everything else.
Have you tried it on rear view camera? Is it safe for its lens, which are probably made of plastic, while this product is meant for glass?

I have never had issues with my Mazda 6 rear camera getting dusty or dirty, normal car washing takes care of that, but if it's raining the camera is indeed becoming useless. Which is I guess why Mazda created such accessory.

Have you tried it on rear view camera? Is it safe for its lens, which are probably made of plastic, while this product is meant for glass?

I have never had issues with my Mazda 6 rear camera getting dusty or dirty, normal car washing takes care of that, but if it's raining the camera is indeed becoming useless. Which is I guess why Mazda created such accessory.
Used it on another car, not this one yet...didn't get around to it.
But after reading Mazda document, yes it sounds as if its plastic and could damage it. Thanks for noticing this and advising against.

This is so needed. I'll make inquiries.
Thank you - if you hear of any popular and reliable proxy service for ordering products from Japanese web shops, I would appreciate it. I found it at much below the catalogue price in Japan, but they won't ship abroad...

Thank you - if you hear of any popular and reliable proxy service for ordering products from Japanese web shops, I would appreciate it. I found it at much below the catalogue price in Japan, but they won't ship abroad...

It seems there are a few bits they have we dont get over here. Even genuine Black wheel and locking nuts! I've just replaced the garish chrome ones for my Homura Black wheels with after market ones - much better. Would have been nice to buy genuine ones. Theres even an official Dash Cam.

I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow about the camera cleaner, and see if they can order it as I have the part numbers for it.

Here is the official Mazda Japan CX60 accessories catalogue

Attachments

• cx-60_2206.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 216
It seems there are a few bits they have we dont get over here. Even genuine Black wheel and locking nuts! I've just replaced the garish chrome ones for my Homura Black wheels with after market ones - much better. Would have been nice to buy genuine ones. Theres even an official Dash Cam.

I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow about the camera cleaner, and see if they can order it as I have the part numbers for it.

Here is the official Mazda Japan CX60 accessories catalogue
Yes, my screen capture in the first post of this thread is exactly from that catalogue.
I asked my dealer as well as Mazda Poland (the official importer), and both answered "no", because this part is NOT offered in Europe - we would have to petition Mazda in Japan...

And yes, all Japanese manufacturers offer more options in their domestic models. I've lived in Japan in 1980s and 90s and all my subsequent cars had some gadgets not available in Europe. The best one was in my 1992 Toyota Corona (in Europe: Carina E) - an ultrasonic raindrops remover from side mirrors. It was just a pair of piezoelectric tweeters glued onto the back of the mirrors, after a press of a button they would turn on for a few seconds and the big raindrops would simply explode, after which the normal mirror heaters would take over and get rid of the smaller ones.
BTW regarding the black wheels I prefer 18", so I've ordered Mazda model 74, which I will have painted "piano black" in a professional wheel painting shop before installation. Also bought aftermarket black nuts. The Homura is all blacked out, can't have chrome'y bits to go with it :)

Last edited:
Yes, my screen capture in the first post of this thread is exactly from that catalogue.
I asked my dealer as well as Mazda Poland (the official importer), and both answered "no", because this part is NOT offered in Europe - we would have to petition Mazda in Japan...

And yes, all Japanese manufacturers offer more options in their domestic models. I've lived in Japan in 1980s and 90s and all my subsequent cars had some gadgets not available in Europe. The best one was in my 1992 Toyota Corona (in Europe: Carina E) - an ultrasonic raindrops remover from side mirrors. It was just a pair of piezoelectric tweeters glued onto the back of the mirrors, after a press of a button they would turn on for a few seconds and the big raindrops would simply explode, after which the normal mirror heaters would take over and get rid of the smaller ones.
BTW regarding the black wheels I prefer 18", so I've ordered Mazda model 74, which I will have painted "piano black" in a professional wheel painting shop before installation. Also bought aftermarket black nuts. The Homura is all blacked out, can't have chrome'y bits to go with it :)

Yes, too true. I've had two Subaru Impreza STI's, one a V4 Type R 2door Coupe (never available in the UK apart from the limited P1 which was a much softer version) and a V7 Blobeye, this was loaded with extra goodies - twinscroll turbo, nitraded crank, rear washer/wipe, xenon headlights, intercooler spray etc..I wonder what extra bits apart from the camera cleaner are available on the CX60 in Japan?

That Toyota raindrop remover sounds ace!

I think it's sacrilege going for 18" wheels :) but each to their own! I wish I could debadge the rear to get rid of those garish chrome badges, but sadly Mazda are still stuck in the 90's and put alignment holes in the tailgate for them. If I could do that I would change the front and rear emblem badges to Black alspo, but that front one could be a real pain to do.

+1 on the 18 inchers.
You'll be glad you be did especially if it you have harsh bumpy paved roads or unpaved paths.

Current setup is running powdercoated 16 inch AT in summer and 17 inch winters.

OK, I dusted off my rusty Japanese and called a Mazda dealer in Tokyo, also talked to Japanese friends, and this is what I found out:
Item "KV4W" in Japanese accessories catalogue costs ¥25,740 and consists of:
a) Camera cleaner: C900 V6 560A (¥3,850)
b) Mounting kit: K31V V6 565 (¥10,450)
c) Installation service (¥11,440 i.e. the difference between ¥25,740 and the sum of a) and b))
That means the hardware without installation costs only ¥14300 (¥3,850+¥10,450) and if you order a) + b) from Rakuten or any other online seller, theoretically you should have everything you need to install it. Theroetically, because they have no idea how different is the European version from JDM one, if there will be a place to connect the control cable, etc.

Also note the installation cost is quite substantial, which makes me suspect a bit of rear hatch disassembly required, if it was plug and play they wouldn't charge so much...

Still considering a) + b) is only about 100 Euro, which is about the cost of a set of Mazda floor mats :) I'm going to take a risk and try to buy it, then install with a help of some friendly garage.

OK, it's installed and it WORKS in European models as well, although meant for the Japanese market! The installation does involve some drilling and connecting wires inside the rear door, so unless you are a DIY guru, best left to a garage. I have the full scan of the installation manual (in Japanese) and happy to share if anyone needs. I don't have a translation, though, I translated it in real time for the mechanic who was doing the install.
The accessory can be ordered from a number of Japanese online stores, e.g. Nengun. You need both parts, the camera cleaner (C900 V6 560A) and the wiring kit (K31V V6 565).

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

If any questions - shoot :)

OK, it's installed and it WORKS in European models as well, although meant for the Japanese market! The installation does involve some drilling and connecting wires inside the rear door, so unless you are a DIY guru, best left to a garage. I have the full scan of the installation manual (in Japanese) and happy to share if anyone needs. I don't have a translation, though, I translated it in real time for the mechanic who was doing the install.
The accessory can be ordered from a number of Japanese online stores, e.g. Nengun. You need both parts, the camera cleaner (C900 V6 560A) and the wiring kit (K31V V6 565).

View attachment 319526
View attachment 319527
View attachment 319528

If any questions - shoot :)
I would like to request for the installation manual.i am trying to install the cleaner for mazda 6.i bought the cleaner according to part number in mazda 6 manual.however,seems like the plastic trim covering the camera,boot opener and reverse light needs to be cut or drill to fit the blower.

I would like to request for the installation manual.i am trying to install the cleaner for mazda 6.i bought the cleaner according to part number in mazda 6 manual.however,seems like the plastic trim covering the camera,boot opener and reverse light needs to be cut or drill to fit the blower.
Hi, please PM me and I will send you a link to my Google drive, it's quite a few files (one for each page) :)

Back