Shadow102's RX7 NA build thread

Shadow102

:
2013 CWP MS3 / 1977 Celica GT
First off...hi my name is Korey and i am officially a rotary adict. I have had this car for all of 2 months so far and have fallen in love with it. It was purchased from a kid at my work who had no idea what he had, how to work on it, or what it was worth. Its a 1990 Mazda Rx7 Convertible with 130k on the clock. From what i can tell its been in some sort of accident that was repaired horribly and at some point a reman engine was installed. The car was bought essentially bone stock except for the craptacular chrome 15" rims (why they got rid of the oh so pretty and lightweight BBS stockers is beyond me) some ricer pedals and blinging white face gauges...which i am sad to say have grown on me and will probably be staying.

Car had a heep of problems from the begining but i only payed $1000 for it and it ran and drove.

Problems that have been fixed so far:

Horns plugged back in
Right fog light plugged back in
Replacement drivers window switch
Convertible seals replaced
Head unit temp. installed
Wiper switch replaced so i have all functions
E brake handle replaced with leather wrapped GXL unit
Shifter bushings replaced
Spark Plugs replaced/retapped one spark plug hole
Spark wires replaced
All fluids changed
Hood realigned
Replaced side mirrors with S4 units
added second wiper arm

Quite a good list and i am sure i am forgeting some things and there are more things left such as

Replace the current HU (getting one today)
Pick up a S5 NA airpump bracket
Repair convertible drain tubes
Unstick 5/6 ports
replace the interior carpet
yank PO amp wiring kit
Replace speakers
Replace hood due to hail damage
Replace front left fender due to bad bondo job
Replace front bumper " " "
ect

There is quite a bit of interior restoration to do but i think alot of it might be yanked

So far i also couldnt stay away from the upgrade bug just because well...if your going to replace it you might as well make it better. Plus 160hp/140tq is nothing exciting in a car that weighs north of 3000lbs. So in the interest of dropping weight and adding power i have thus far added:

Racing beat road race header
Cat delete pipe
Corksport catback (freaking loud see video below)
Custom made cone filter intake
Pontiac Fiero E-fan
5/6 Port stuck open
AC removed
PS removed and lines looped
Rear deck panels removed
Corbeau Clubman mounted on stock brackets
Removed 1" from shifter and added vibrant CF shift knob
Japan2la Drift button
90-91 GTUs/TurboII 16x7 Meshes
215/45 R16 Falken Azenis RT615
Hawk HP+ front pads
Tein S. Tech springs
Trunk gutted (bought it that way)
Master cylinder brace

Got some little parts still waiting to go on and have a GTUs 4.30 LSD rear end that i am waiting to pick up.

I have a good amount of plans for the car seeing as it looks like i will be keeping it for a while. The suspension is going to be all refreshed with new bushings, shocks, adjustable links, ect. i will probably end up picking up an engine to rebuild and do a wild streetport to. My end goal is to have a fun weekend car that i can take to auto-x, run up in the mountains occasionally, run a low 14 sec 1/4 mile and take drifting if i get bored (and i mean really bored lol) Basically everything my MSP was just in a RWD rotary package. Anyway stay tuned as this wont be a fast build due to fluctuating income (i am a toyota tech so some times flat rate is good and sometimes not so good) but i try to do a little something whenever i have the chance. Neway here are some pics of the car:

When i first bought it:

IMG00028.JPG

IMG00030.JPG

After i lowered it and it got snowed on (freaking snow in march in Atlanta):

IMG00059.JPG

And how it sits as of now. Save the link at the end to hear the loud ass exhaust (silencer will be here later this week):

DSCF2279.JPG

DSCF2280.JPG

DSCF2281.JPG

DSCF2282.JPG

DSCF2283.JPG

The pile of parts i am collecting. Alot of weight dropped of the car.

DSCF2285.JPG

"Save as" video of exhaust

Got my pioneer head unit installed tonight..its so nice not to have to listen to the same killswitch engage CD over and over again...now i can blast some slipknot.

Also removed my cat delete pipe as its leaking and needs to be repaired correctly

Cat delete went back in last night. Its still temp. But since I can't seem to find decent bolt in solution I am stuck with building my own. But it can wait. Next items on the list are a rear adjustable camber link and dtss elims

Not much of an update but took the car on the first long trip since I have owned it. Drove 4hrs up to NC car was rock solid...had to put the targa back on about half way in since it started drying out my eyes lol. Also the silencer I put in only helped marginally its not nearly as loud but at 80 just feathering the gas it gets loud. Putting the 4.30 diff in will probably make it worse so I am going to have to look into resonator option.

So after two weeks of constantly telling this kid I want the gtus lsd he has I messaged him again today just to remind him monday night I will be by to pick it up cause the last time I talked to him it wasn't even out of the car. Well he messages me back and tells me ohhh yeah some guy stopped by and offered some money for it and I sold it to him. I am so pissed at this douche cause now I am lacking a lsd again.

I am wondering if I should be nice and give back his exhaust piece I have or I should say **** em and not get back in touch with him

That suxs man... But you cant fight fire with fire like that.. be the better man and give him is exhaust piece back.. Business is business.. if youjust borrowed it u have to give it back.. he was going to give u the lsd but money talks.. it may not be the best business move.. but business is business.. money talks.

(werd) hand it back over to him but make sure to let him know that he pulled a dick move and you didnt appreciate it.

well drove the car back home from SC on sunday ran great the whole way. Hopped in the car tonight te go out to taco bell and after starting it up the warning buzzer went off and the low coolant light was on. the resevoir still have plenty of coolant in it but the radiator took a good 16oz of water. Backed the car up and sure enough there was a damp spot of coolant underneath the front left of the car. I am guessing something may have punctured the radiator on my way home sunday but i wont know until i get under it tomorrow night.

So figured it out...apparently the fiero fan I though cleared everything didn't. The threaded end for the motor stud just barely was touching the radiator fin and put a small pin hole in it. I jbwelded the hole and ground down the stud flush with the fan now. Also took the oppertunity to clean out the radiator fins

Dude, the car looks so sick! I love it! Great buy and great job with what you have done so far!

good to see u figured it out...

thats why I used a plastic electric fan.. mine pulls 3800cfm and is AWSOME.. no metal studs to poke into the radiator

sweet ride man,
id seriously contemplate a t2 transplant. you want the power, its the way to do it....plus you dont see alot of t2 verts driving around....

or, you could go the route of "aaroncake" over at rx7club.com, and just piece a turbo kit together and slap it on there, all the work is easy.

sweet ride man,
id seriously contemplate a t2 transplant. you want the power, its the way to do it....plus you dont see alot of t2 verts driving around....

or, you could go the route of "aaroncake" over at rx7club.com, and just piece a turbo kit together and slap it on there, all the work is easy.

I thought about a turbo swap but if I ever do a turbo rotary I am just going to buy a well sorted s5 tii and be ready to go out of the box. The vert is going to stay na and will eventually get ported for some more power.

awesome!

dunno why i didnt see this thread before. Your rx7 is in much better condition than mine.

your complaing about 160hp? im at a meager 144 lol. Im slowly fixing stuff on my car. interior needs to be pulled again to rethread the seat mounts. PO fubared them pretty good. he broke off one of the bolts in the mount, so i have to drill that one out and rethread all of the mounts.

Back