msp or jetta 1.8t??

Plus I get better MPG from the VW too. I Have not messed with the suspension but other than that it is more comfortable, reliable, and quicker for cheaper. I love the leather interior but the lack of handleing and body style/lines are not my favorite so i will keep my Mazda for that. LOL.

im going for the 1.8t.. not only is it waaay more reliable.. its more comfortable to drive, easier to mod, funner to drive.. cheaper to get great hp numbers.. with the right suspention upgrade (which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a msp) it will easily out handle the msp.. hell a stage 1 apr chip will put it to 19 psi boost.. and a shade under 235 whp.. ive owned both.. and any day of the week id gladly go back to a 1.8t... need i say more.. but i do agree with a couple posts.. get a vr6 and boost it... trust me on that!!!!!!! i just sold a boosted vr6

They make good power, but there is noway its 235 at the wheels, its bhp. So that would mean around 200whp. msp seems to be able to get that number with some bolt ons. and its lighter.

But now that some others people have said their opinion i dont know which one would be best.

Jetta 1.8t:
++++it doesnt rust.
+ i like leather,looks more class inside.
+they make power easy, but not that much more than the speed (that would have to be debated tho) with bolt ons.

--three of my friends have jetta(2 1.8t, 1 vr6).
-i dont like crayon smell lol
-stock height they are not looking awesome(that would mean buying coillvers).But some raceland are VERY cheap.
--But there is so much Vw it seems that they are SOO unoriginal...even slammed with bbs lol

mazdaspeed protege:
+looking great
+handles awesome
+can make some good power
+my p5 is fun to drive(i guess it will only be better)
+kinda rare

-reliability issues
--Rust. I just hope the paint quality is better than the p5.(but anyways, i will not buy one with rust)

My friend lowered his Wolfsburg with some Eibach Sport springs. It looked great- even with the factory BBS wheels.

And the brakes on that thing were outstanding.

His Jetta felt much more solid. Cruising on the interstate at 90 mph seemed pretty effortless and it was smooth and quiet in the interior.

My car (while not an MSP- but rides on the same suspension) feels much more like the "economy car" that it is.

well, im leaning more and more toward the jetta. Anyone want to change my mind?lol

I've already said everything I have to say, but I'll summarize:
The MSP has character, is a fun drive, and can be reliable if you don't beat on it or do stupid s*** to it. The community of people around the car is great, and theres just enough aftermarket support to keep it interesting.

The jetta is a perfectly servicable daily driver, but its a dime a dozen, and nothing to write home about. There are more options available for it, and probably more parts if you mod. That said, there is also no way you can be original with the car, and the owners tend to be apple fanbois, or health nuts, or... just annoying.

That said, its your car. Whatever will make you happy is what you should buy.

well its all pretty much been said but heres my 2 cents....I dont have a msp i rock a protege and if i had to choose i say msp like everyone has said its a limited edition car looks better and is fun to drive. jettas are every where its like a civic, everywhere i turn theres like 4-5 i can throw a rock and hit about 10 jettas.... dont get me wrong i think the 1.8t is a good looking car i considered one myself, the only reason i got the protege and not a msp was because there wasent any fs at the time and i liked the look and feel i got from driving the protege, but anyways the jetta its a good, solid built car the germans know what their doing...i used to sell cars and drove both...like its been said before the jetta will have more mods and what not reliability blah,blah,blah....msp handles better, light weight blah blah blah..now thats out of the way both cars are about the same they were built to compete in the same catagory, no matter which way you go theres probably gonna be rust, ive seen what the weather can do to a car where you live... and as for reliability any car for the most part is reliable if its taken care of and not ragged out....both cars have a good community of tuners and well i dont troll the vw forums but here you can get parts at a very reasonable price people are always parting their car either they need a bigger family vehicle its been totaled or just going a different route....im pretty sure its the same on the vw side....either car can get the hp your looking for with just a few mods... but if your looking for us to make a decision for you then the I have to agree with this community the msp's have it, the people have spoken..... but like its been said the decision is up to you.... but no matter which way you go youll end up with a good fun car to drive... just make sure you chose the right one

My G/f had a 2001 vr6 jetta gli. Lots of options, leather heated seats, climate control. Real nice car. Handled like a chevy caprice though. It really depends on what you want. You could probably find a MSP and build a whole forged motor for the price of what it would cost to upgrade the suspension on a jetta to even compare to the MSP's handling. The Jetta has a solid rear axle with NO sway bar at all compared to the MSP's independent rear suspension. Reliability wise I would say they are about the same depending on your driving habits. The motor in the jetta will probably outlast the MSP's but everything else around the car is going to nickel and dime you to probably more than the cost of a motor replacement. Window Regulators About $100 per door and they will eventually drop the window into the door frame, Belt tensioners that cost $100+ at the dealer, and my favorite is the water pump with a plastic impeller that eventually rots out from spinning in hot antifreeze and leaves you stranded with your car overheating. This was a bit of the problems she had before I was dating her. After we started hanging out she drove my laser blue msp one day and needless to say she now currently has her own blazing yellow msp.

Last edited:
and the owners tend to be apple fanbois, or health nuts, or... just annoying.

Refering to me?

My Jetta just got 96 mile tow the other night. The wife was driving it and to the best of my knowledge the Fuel pump acted up but seems to be working fine now. It is starting to go you can tell but nothing else was shown and funs perfectly once back at the house. New pump is $400 buck for oem. But you can get a performance one for $200. This is one of the cool features that the jetta dose have but not mazda...ECMS!!!
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_golf18t.html

Just cool how even the dealership can tell it is in there. But parts are expensive on some side and reasonable on the other. Put it this way the VW will go before the Mazda.

come on man this is a mazda forum asking this question is the equivalent of asking a gay dude dicks or vaginas if you went to a VW forum they would say jetta so the best thing to do is just drive them both and see which one YOU like

Refering to me?

no dude. HUGELY stereotypical statement. not meant to be taken at all personally by anyone. (unless you own 3+ apple products and have the apple sticker on the VW. Then yes, I mean you.)

Also for the record, I have a macbook... but I don't pretend its any better than an equivalent PC.

Last edited:
No I hate apple. Just got the ipod. I will agree with most being dicks.... Alot of the guys who MTBers who ride gary fishers dop for some reason have VW's? Do not know why tho.

my wife had a jetta with the 1.8t...i have a msp...i drove both. msp is fun to drive, gets a lot of looks because of its rarity and if you treat it good, is reliable..

the jetta, for the most part is boring, don't get looks because they are everywhere, and depending on when your 1.8t was manufactured, it varies on reliability..her turbo went (replaced it) oil return line (replaced it) sun roof (replaced it) oil pressure censor (replaced it) tranny started to go...(replaced the who damn car and got her a p5 :) i always see the jetta as more of a "chick" car too.

i always see the jetta as more of a "chick" car too.

thank you...
i think VWs can look sick as hell and ya have a ton more options for modding but at the end of the day a JETTA wouldn't satisfy me... maybe a GTI
like everyones said you have to choose on your own, ive learned to go with my first instinct and dont over think it

any European car....make sure you have spare money in the bank account, or rubber band bank. Once these cars hit 100k miles, you will get some German engineering mechanics say "this thing is still running?" lol
my Audi A4 Quattro became a little diva after 110k milles...
Turbo started to whine with a high pitch.
always had to change oil early to avoid common sludge issues with the 1.8t
radio antenna receiver would crack basically giving you only few radio channels.
check valves, hoses, suction pumps...plastic parts would fail from the heat of the turbo.
starter was going bad.
coil packs would often go bad.

seemed like every other weekend I was saying "Sh*t, another boost leak" because all of the damn plastic pieces.

parts are EXPENSIVE and only available at the dealer.

thats VAG....(Volkswagen Audi Group) gotta pay to play.

IMO the protege was one of the best car investment I made. second would be my theft magnet integra. These cars threaded me WELLLLLLL, and keeps my hard earned money in my pocket

Last edited:
this is what i say to all vw's first of all there every where and look dumb!! especially when people lower them to the ground and put stupid rims on them and i have never lost to one so i say there slow...
37570_141619825867076_100000571772534_294587_3508769_n.jpg

this is what i say to all vw's first of all there every where and look dumb!! especially when people lower them to the ground and put stupid rims on them and i have never lost to one so i say there slow...
37570_141619825867076_100000571772534_294587_3508769_n.jpg

a stock 1.8t jetta: 7.7 0-60 180hp (claimed but really 170 at the wheels)
a stock MSP: 7.92 0-60 170hp (claimed but we all know different)

No not much different at all but my jetta at 5 lbs will pull all the MSP guys in the area in a straight line all day long. The 1.8t's are bad engines if done right and maintained. The vr6's are ok but when they turbo those they are more of a beast then the KL. So if you have done nothing but race 2.0's I can see that cause a geo storm could beat them. Like posted above by me and others speed the 1.8t will win a straight line but throw a curve into the picture the msp has the advantage. (Not that I am talking about raceing mods) MSP = fun and unique jetta = lots of money for just another unexpecting quick car that everyone has that has more body roll stock than an SUV but tons of aftermarket support. That being said the Jetta is my DD.

Wise man once said.... Vdub's are like strippers, they only work when you throw money at them.

as long as you take care of the basics ie: exhaust,fmic,downpipe or TBE,proper gaugesand a boost controler you'll have no problem. im on 215hp and 230tq with 2.5in exhaust fmic corksport downpipe and boost controller set @10psi and im still running a lillte rich and not hiting boost cut from the stock ecu.

ok for 1 5psi on a k03 doent even match a gt25r turbo at 5psi. the k03 is a joke of a turbo. why do you think most vw owners and audi owners change them out as soon as they recieve the chance 2. pound for pound the t25 makes more power.

Back