CX-5 NA Oil weight 0w20 or 5w30?

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
Is it ok to use 5w30 in my 2.5L (non turbo)??
The manual states to use 0w20 for US/Canada. 5w30 is an option if living somewhere else.
My other vehicles use 5w30, and always have a case sitting on the shelf. I'll continue to buy that special jug for the CX5 but it would be convenient if they all used the same weight.

The manual states to use 0w20 for US/Canada. 5w30 is an option if living somewhere else.
My other vehicles use 5w30, and always have a case sitting on the shelf. I'll continue to buy that special jug for the CX5 but it would be convenient if they all used the same weight.
This has been discussed at length on this forum, not too long ago.
Try a search the forum for the thread on this subject. Quite interesting.
Personally, I run 5w30 year round. Car is happier and quieter as a result.
Without going in to a lot of detail, North America is the only area where Mazda specifies 0W20.
Everywhere else, it's 5W30.

Upvote 0
if you are not under warranty use what ever you want. 0w20 definitely better for cold weather.
I checked with my dealer, and there is no warranty issue when running 5W30.
In fact, it was the dealer that switched it up for me initially.

Upvote 0
The only thing that 0w-20 is good for is car company's Cafe numbers. Cuz it sure ain't good for your engine.

Upvote 0
I really can't complain about the 0W-20... I've used the Mazda moly since new and frankly no noticeable oil consumption between oil changes

Upvote 0
Had over 120k trouble free miles on my ‘13 running 0w-20. No oil consumption and it ran like a top. 0w-16 is just fine in our ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. I’d use what is printed on the oil cap. It the engine starts consuming oil later in life, consider bumping it to 5w-30 to see if consumption slows.

Upvote 0
Here’s oil viscosity chart from Mazda CX-5 Owner’s Manual world wide:

7C065467-EC33-4F60-8DE2-D5D48C7ECD5C.jpeg

3113BDB2-98DF-404F-849E-BDC515394938.jpeg

Upvote 0
thanks for the charts, basically what it shows in the manual. 5w30 apparently is good till -30C. Up here winter is coming and -30 does happen. So probably best to keep what is "normal" spec for the engine. I do have an oil change coming up and figured using the 5w30 already stocked in my shop would be easier than going to buy another jug of 0/20.

Upvote 0
The only thing that 0w-20 is good for is car company's Cafe numbers. Cuz it sure ain't good for your engine.
Once out of warranty, I use 5w-20/30. (where I live, it does not go under 30F)
Before that, I follow Mazda's recommendation.

Upvote 0
thanks for the charts, basically what it shows in the manual. 5w30 apparently is good till -30C. Up here winter is coming and -30 does happen. So probably best to keep what is "normal" spec for the engine. I do have an oil change coming up and figured using the 5w30 already stocked in my shop would be easier than going to buy another jug of 0/20.

If I owned a 2.5 NA motor that was no longer under warranty, I would probably run 5W-30 in the summer and 0W-20 in the winter (for easier cold starts).

Upvote 0
Back