Lost w/ (assumed) vacuum leak

I have the same problems as you brother. But im not getting any codes or engines light. Im getting so frustrated with it i want to blow it up! At least you can drive yours.

It is so frustrating. I drove it for the first time and the next day it became a two cylinder turd.

I did go ahead and replace the coils, wires, and plugs.

I pressurized the system with air and could hear a leak around the intake manifold by head. I sprayed the area with soapy water. Turns out every injector is leaking air out (lots of bubbles). Some more than others....

replace with 626 injector seals
+1 get the 626 seals that don't have the ridges in them. I'm glad you found the leak, you have stock cams but that motor is very dirty. I would put some fresh oil and a new filter on it and replace the VC gasket since you removed it (don't forget the silicone dabs in the corners for the end cam cap).

I got the car all together. It runs better, but I don't think It is fixed. The idle is still not right and I Oby have 10hg of vacuum.

I noticed when I hit the brake firmly, that I lose vacuum pressure...

Last edited:
Check the harness to see if it has been cut/hacked for a piggyback, that is the most likely cause considering the car was modded when you bought it. ECUs do not fail very often on these cars unless you are messing with the wiring.

The two cylinder issue was caused by a wire from the Main harness going into the cool pack, it was slightly pulled out.

But I still have my vacuum leak. I was only able to get the injector seal kit for a 1.8L protege. And it technically made no differnce in my vac leak. Like the old ones I replaced, they don't completely fill the hole on the intake manifold. Which 626 injector seals are you referring to that are smooth?

Also, I noticed today, if I push the brake pedal firmly (when I am idling), that I lose vac pressure... Could my brake booster be leaking ???

The two cylinder issue was caused by a wire from the Main harness going into the cool pack, it was slightly pulled out.

But I still have my vacuum leak. I was only able to get the injector seal kit for a 1.8L protege. And it technically made no differnce in my vac leak. Like the old ones I replaced, they don't completely fill the hole on the intake manifold. Which 626 injector seals are you referring to that are smooth?

Also, I noticed today, if I push the brake pedal firmly (when I am idling), that I lose vac pressure... Could my brake booster be leaking ???

regular seal on left, 626 on right. Don't mind the white residue, it was packaged like that. You can get them online at rock auto. Just know that will have to order a quantity of 4 as they are not packaged as a set. As far as a vac leak and the brake pedal. How's your brake booster hose look? Is it fully secure on the brake booster? fully secure on the intake manifold?
photo59.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Car still having problems. I wonder if the vtcs delete that was done before got the car, if it has the proper vacuum routing. I found the vtcs removal thread, but the dang link doesn't work.

http://flatblack.somethingsomething.org/p5/porting/

I'll post a pick of my conserned vac lines. Every vac diagram I have found doesn't really show this area of the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 149
I was hoping there was an assembly section to show where the hoses go and what gets plugged after the vtcs removal. The guy before me tapped and put screws in the holes.

Look back at the picture I posted above, is the vac line going out of the fuel pressure regulator supposed to be hooked up to the prc solenoid?

Thank you very much hornsfan10609. You have been extremely helpful.

Not a problem man lets get this straightened out. The purge solenoid originally was near the TB, it looks like the vac line before the one-way valve was cut shorter and runs to the MAP sensor instead of the purge solenoid. The vac line for the MAP sensor (what the two sensors in the pic appear to be) should run to the Intake Manifold, there is a vac nipple near the bottom. The VICS flaps (if they are there I can't really tell) have a vac line that runs from the actuator on the IM to the solenoid (opposite of the connector side on the solenoid) and the top vac nipple on the VICS solenoid runs to a port on the IM in the center near the firewall. Fuel pressure regulator vac line runs to the fuel pressure solenoid (brown connector) and then to the IM, you can bypass the solenoid but the vac line must run to a nipple on the IM.

I wish I had better photos but this is how the stock setup is (more or less). I have relocated the fuel pressure solenoid next to the VICS and VTCS but you can see how the lines run to the IM and how the MAP sensor setup is stock.

I am moving the vac hoses now. I did hook up the map sensor to the port hole from the vtcs removal.

My Vics has been removed as well. I also do not see a purge solenoid. I attached a pic of the connector that believe is supposed to go to the purge solenoid...

Where does the one check valve that was cut shorter need to be hooked up? The nipple on the throttle body, what should be hooked up there? My wastegate is currently routed to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 170
Back