2021 CX-9 Burning oil

Yes, this is only for the 2.5T. Personally, I am at a crossroads with Mazda. These engine issues are a worry that I do not want.
What you wrote makes it sound like you haven't had the seals replaced on any of your 3 vehicles. Is that correct?

This is how I look at it. Mazda acknowledge they had an 11-month period with certain VIN numbers that they installed seals that were either defective or the design was poor. So if the engine falls inside of a vehicle that falls inside of the VIN it's not a matter of IF it's going to start burning oil later in life it's WHEN. If it was my vehicle I would do whatever it takes to get those valve seals replaced with the known good ones while it's still under warranty. If you read the TSB Mazda is setting a pretty low bar for getting the seals replaced. All you have to do is show up with a low oil light and a code. ONCE. No more discussion, set the appt to change the seals. They know that all these seals are going to need to be changed sometime in the life of the vehicle. Mazda knows what's going on and they're trying to do the right thing. The problem really is dealing with the "disrepairable" stealerships, which can be a nightmare.
Thank you. Sorry for any confusion. I attached my original post. So they changed them once. It did not fix the problem. The second fix (after all the lying, etc.) was a new sensor. So I have had TWO "fixes" approved by Mazda. I guess they just have to change the valves again? This is why I am so baffled.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 9.21.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 9.21.02 AM.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 77
Post a copy of the "fix" when they replace the exhaust valve stem seals. I don't even trust that they replace those. That's probably another lie

Post a copy of the "fix" when they replace the exhaust valve stem seals. I don't even trust that they replace those. That's probably another lie
They said they did. You're right. They prob didn't hence why nothing changed. Do you mean take a pic of the engine right now? Sorry if I am a moron. Clearly ya'll are dealing with a novice.

They said they did. You're right. They prob didn't hence why nothing changed. Do you mean take a pic of the engine right now? Sorry if I am a moron. Clearly ya'll are dealing with a novice.
I am just curious how the valve seal replacement was documented buy the technician. I have the 53 page mazda r&r instructions on this procedure. If I was the tech, (and this is how we do it in the aviation world), I would just state, "replaced all exhaust valve stem seals in accordance with mazda document bla bla bla." I have done this job on similar import car engines. Its hard to do it incorrectly. But its time consuming. If they replaced the seals with the correct ones, any oil consumption should not be from those new seals.

This was the fix. When that didn’t work and it still burned too much oil they literally changed the oil light sensor.

Attachments

• 1FD7D49C-279D-4347-B405-207CF97AAAF9.jpeg
    1FD7D49C-279D-4347-B405-207CF97AAAF9.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 112
Interesting. The tech was issued 8 seals, gotta expect they were installed. Very strange.
That's why I traded mine in, no time to get involved in a major engine repair. Usually if you go with Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and Mazda the engine should be good for at least 150K miles. Mine had this issue, and AC was not very good in summer unless you are driving and put it on circulation mode. I am much happier with my new 2023 INFINITI QX60.

That's why I traded mine in, no time to get involved in a major engine repair. Usually if you go with Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and Mazda the engine should be good for at least 150K miles. Mine had this issue, and AC was not very good in summer unless you are driving and put it on circulation mode. I am much happier with my new 2023 INFINITI QX60.
Those Nissans have their fair share of electical problems, and not to mention the issues with the trannys. Dunno, if its just a matter of buying an updated $600 cylinder head that makes the car rock solid, well I guess I can make time for that. Every car out there has at least one big issue. The cylinder head is permanently fixable.

Those Nissans have their fair share of electical problems, and not to mention the issues with the trannys. Dunno, if its just a matter of buying an updated $600 cylinder head that makes the car rock solid, well I guess I can make time for that. Every car out there has at least one big issue. The cylinder head is permanently fixable.
I think my issues is that "the fix" didn't fix it. So what is it? :(

Agree... But to me, if a dealership opens an engine it will never be the same anymore. Factory robots and tech are different than some dealership technician no matter how much training they do get. The gasket and sealing now done by special robotics/machines. But I hear you, I was thinking the same, but then told myself to trade it in and run.

I think my issues is that "the fix" didn't fix it. So what is it? :(
Yea, your problem is definitely not the norm. I would triple check that its consuming oil. I let the car sit over night on the exact same level spot and check the stick then. I would do a once a week check, same day even and note the miles and % between the ad and full marks. My apologies if you've already done this sort of oil monitoring but it's got to be pretty exact to know the rate of consumption.

Agree... But to me, if a dealership opens an engine it will never be the same anymore. Factory robots and tech are different than some dealership technician no matter how much training they do get. The gasket and sealing now done by special robotics/machines. But I hear you, I was thinking the same, but then told myself to trade it in and run.
Yea, I get it, and your right, once they crack it open, never really is the same. Especially when you look at the kind of people that are working on these vehicles now. I swear to God the quality of employees nowadays in EVERY industry is absolutely pathetic. I know that's a blanket statement but it really is getting bad.

This was the fix. When that didn’t work and it still burned too much oil they literally changed the oil light sensor.
You can contact Mazda North American Operations complaining the situation.

Or you can do like asatar22 did in post #241, just trade it in and forget about it.

You can contact Mazda North American Operations complaining the situation.

Or you can do like asatar22 did in post #241, just trade it in and forget about it.
I opened a case. I just can't take the financial hit for something that isn't my fault... It's not right.

⋯ I swear to God the quality of employees nowadays in EVERY industry is absolutely pathetic. I know that's a blanket statement but it really is getting bad.
I have to agree with you on this unfortunately ⋯ 🙁

I opened a case. I just can't take the financial hit for something that isn't my fault... It's not right.
I’d keep monitoring the oil consumption like ctbale suggested in post #273. If the oil consumption is still bad, you should keep pushing MNAO to have a different Mazda dealer to fix it. Trading it in to get another car still should be your another option like asatar22 did.

I’d keep monitoring the oil consumption like ctbale suggested in post #273. If the oil consumption is still bad, you should keep pushing MNAO to have a different Mazda dealer to fix it. Trading it in to get another car still should be your another option like asatar22 did.
So I went to another dealer and they told me they cannot take over the repair. I swear it never ends...

So I went to another dealer and they told me they cannot take over the repair. I swear it never ends...
That’s why you need to get MNAO involved on your issue. My experience with MNAO isn’t too good either, but if you have a valid ground, they should have to do something for you under warranty.

Back