2021 CX-9 Burning oil

So my oil-burning 2021 CX-9 has been in the shop for more than a week now for the repair (under warranty). Really tempted to trade it in for a brand new CX-90 but we'll see if this repair fixes the oil burning issue. I'll report back once I get the car back.

So my oil-burning 2021 CX-9 has been in the shop for more than a week now for the repair (under warranty). Really tempted to trade it in for a brand new CX-90 but we'll see if this repair fixes the oil burning issue. I'll report back once I get the car back.
It will. They are putting in the seals that Mazda has used for years. I have read the 57 page replacement procedure. Its a good fix. The 21s have the updated head so car should be solid. Not 100% convinced on that cx-90. Definitely not for the price they put on it. I plan on driving my 22 into the ground.

I have to agree with @ctbale that if your Mazda dealer followed the complicated TSB procedure correctly and replaced inferior valve stem seals, the oil consumption problem should be fixed. If you drive your 2021 CX-9 for several thousand miles after the fix without any sign of oil consumption, you can assume the problem has been fixed properly.

@ctbale also brought up another good point, that the 2.5T of your 2021 CX-9 should have the revised cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket, which means the probability of cracked head / coolant leak happening from your 2.5T should be minimum.

In addition, I’m not sure about the new CX-90 either. Much higher price aside, the turbocharged 3.3L mating up with a 48-volt hybrid system not only is brand new, but also it’s a Mazda’s first complicated hybrid system although it’s used only for extend stop-start usage in traffic and engine shut-off under coasting or braking. The 8-speed automatic transmission is also the first for Mazda. I personally wouldn’t try any new engine and transmission which just come out for the first several years. The cracked head on the 2.5T is a perfect example as the problem has only exposed after several years since 2016.

And where is the promised SkyActiv-X / SPCCI / HCCI I-6 by Mazda?

Last edited:
I wish mazda would have built the CX90 with an inline 6, multi port fuel injected, no turbo, and a beefed up 6 speed tranny like the CX-9 (bulletproof by the way). And a no highbryd option. JUST MAKE A NORMAL CAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Mazda? Mazda? You listening?

I wish mazda would have built the CX90 with an inline 6, multi port fuel injected, no turbo, and a beefed up 6 speed tranny like the CX-9 (bulletproof by the way). And a no highbryd option. JUST MAKE A NORMAL CAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Mazda? Mazda? You listening?

The 6 speed us so 2005. They should have used a regular zf 8speed with a torque convertor right off the shelf. The mild hybrid turbo inline 6 is wonderful. Great performance and excellent fuel economy. Blows the Turbo 4 and v6 in the old CX-9 out of the water.

I agree. Mazda should offer a base model with a 3.3L I-6 without hybrid system attachment and turbo. I understand there’s a true hybrid CX-90 which uses an I-4, but it puzzles me why Mazda added the complicated hybrid system to the new 3.3L I-6 but not fully utilized it like everybody else? I believe the cost is too high for minimum MPG gain with such configuration and it’s not worth it IMO.

I don’t mind to have an 8-speed automatic transmission as Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed auto is over 10 years old and is totally outdated. The 8-speed transmission could be from Aisin which has been widely used by many car manufactures worldwide for many years.

Last edited:
I think Mazda got that magical sweet spot with the CX-5 and then CX-9 where its tech has aged, but the overall package works so well that is more than the sum off its parts. It actually becomes a reason to buy it.

Also same reason the 4Runner has seen increasing popularity in the last few years.

No one really talks about it, but the low speed, bumper to bumper drivability is one of my favourite strengths of my CX-9. Love the six speed. Especially coming from a Toyota 8speed (UA80E) which was the biggest hunk of s*** on the market.

Last edited:
Actually, both my 2021 CX-9 and CX-5 stopped burning measurable oil at about 50K miles. I did not get the fix done and am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Actually, both my 2021 CX-9 and CX-5 stopped burning measurable oil at about 50K miles. I did not get the fix done and am not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.
What oil change interval have you been using for your vehicles, and also what brand of oil?

What oil change interval have you been using for your vehicles, and also what brand of oil?

7500 miles now. Before, I would need a quart at about 3500-4000 miles- longer drives would drop this closer to 3000 and I would change the oil at 4000 or at max 5000 miles (often, after adding a quart). Now, I can make it to 7500 without any noticeable change in oil level, even with long 10+ hours trips. I keep checking it but have been surprised every time. Has been 3-4 oil changes since it stopped.

Not 100% sure what brand they are actually using - have the oil changed at the dealer.

7500 miles now. Before, I would need a quart at about 3500-4000 miles- longer drives would drop this closer to 3000 and I would change the oil at 4000 or at max 5000 miles (often, after adding a quart). Now, I can make it to 7500 without any noticeable change in oil level, even with long 10+ hours trips. I keep checking it but have been surprised every time. Has been 3-4 oil changes since it stopped.

Not 100% sure what brand they are actually using - have the oil changed at the dealer.
Interesting and also surprising. Makes me wonder if slightly undersized factory seals swelled up permanently over time, as a result of seal conditioning additives in the oil. Great news for you if this repair ends up never being needed on any of your vehicles!

Hi all, just wondering where the rest of you are with your oil burning issues. I have had intermittent oil consumption issues since I bought my 21 GT new (it now has ~49k miles). Second week of August I took it in with the oil light on and they finally had a fix! Except, like other posters, the fix did not fix and the light came back on after the dealer had the car for two weeks. They replaced oil sensor light, and the light came on again.
So Mazda wanted us to do an oil consumption test. At first it seemed to be ok, but then it burned a quart in 350 miles. Anyway, I have opened a file with MNAO but they aren't really offering much in the way of solutions. They initially stated they could make one of my car payments for me, but that is just not enough. I am supposed to speak with the shop foreman tomorrow to see what the plan is from Mazda for my vehicle.
Needless to say I am super frustrated. It's been almost two months since 'the fix' and it's still not fixed. I've been back and forth to the dealer almost every week in that time. Just curious what other peoples' experiences are, has anyone had a satisfying resolution?

Hi all, just wondering where the rest of you are with your oil burning issues. I have had intermittent oil consumption issues since I bought my 21 GT new (it now has ~49k miles). Second week of August I took it in with the oil light on and they finally had a fix! Except, like other posters, the fix did not fix and the light came back on after the dealer had the car for two weeks. They replaced oil sensor light, and the light came on again.
So Mazda wanted us to do an oil consumption test. At first it seemed to be ok, but then it burned a quart in 350 miles. Anyway, I have opened a file with MNAO but they aren't really offering much in the way of solutions. They initially stated they could make one of my car payments for me, but that is just not enough. I am supposed to speak with the shop foreman tomorrow to see what the plan is from Mazda for my vehicle.
Needless to say I am super frustrated. It's been almost two months since 'the fix' and it's still not fixed. I've been back and forth to the dealer almost every week in that time. Just curious what other peoples' experiences are, has anyone had a satisfying resolution?
Was the "fix" done per the tsb? Were your exhaust valve seals replaced with the updated seals.....by a Master Technician? Cuz thats the "fix". Post a copy of your work order. Might help others

Was the "fix" done per the tsb? Were your exhaust valve seals replaced with the updated seals.....by a Master Technician? Cuz thats the "fix". Post a copy of your work order. Might help others
As far as I know it was, I spoke with the shop foreman again today and he said that Mazda has told them to redo the seals, so we shall see what happens.

I guess my question is more at this point what others have done in this situation. I have an open case with MNAO, they had offered to cover one of my car payments (not enough), danced around the idea of getting me into another Mazda (but no official numbers or offers made), but not much else. Just curious if anyone else has gone through this process and what your resolution was.

As far as I know it was, I spoke with the shop foreman again today and he said that Mazda has told them to redo the seals, so we shall see what happens.

I guess my question is more at this point what others have done in this situation. I have an open case with MNAO, they had offered to cover one of my car payments (not enough), danced around the idea of getting me into another Mazda (but no official numbers or offers made), but not much else. Just curious if anyone else has gone through this process and what your resolution was.
Honestly if your “fixed” 2.5T engine burns a quart of oil in 350 miles, that indicates the tech did something seriously wrong during the valve stem seal replacement. I believe your case should be rare and it’s a human error. The updated seal should be fine. You should demand your Mazda dealer to assign a Master Tech to re-perform this TSB fix as described in the TSB.

That's really frustrating... Honestly, are you able to get them to buy the car back at a fair value and get into the CX-90? At this point, maybe that is the only option to keep you whole?

Failing that, sell and move onto something else. That problem will only get worse...

Are you prepared to keep the car long term if they manage to 'fix' the issue?

Are most people noting that the problem is solved after the seals are replaced and are dealers / Mazda readily doing the fix?
I brought my 21 CX-9 in last November after 2 documented trips to the dealer with the low oil light (and confirmed on the dipstick). I showed them the TSB, but they were not ready to do replacements at that time, so I scheduled in December. When I returned, Mazda NA advised them NOT to do seal replacement. I complained directly to them. They advised the dealer to change out the oil sensor. Here I am less than a year later with the low oil light on again (about ~4,000 miles into oil change cycle). Just wondering what the best path is to get this thing corrected while I'm still under warranty. Thanks!

Are most people noting that the problem is solved after the seals are replaced and are dealers / Mazda readily doing the fix?
I brought my 21 CX-9 in last November after 2 documented trips to the dealer with the low oil light (and confirmed on the dipstick). I showed them the TSB, but they were not ready to do replacements at that time, so I scheduled in December. When I returned, Mazda NA advised them NOT to do seal replacement. I complained directly to them. They advised the dealer to change out the oil sensor. Here I am less than a year later with the low oil light on again (about ~4,000 miles into oil change cycle). Just wondering what the best path is to get this thing corrected while I'm still under warranty. Thanks!
That decision by Mazda is contrary to everything else I've seen on this issue. No idea whatsoever why they would make an exception in your case, especially given the time and effort they put into building the repair procedure. AFA what to do now, you have no choice other than contacting Corporate again and basically demand that they now take the action they should have last December.

Drain out another quart of oil (dont worry, there will still be 3 qts in there, car could run with 1.5 short term). This will give you the oil light and it will set the p0250 code. I am guessing you either havent set the code or your dealer cleared it because they dont want to do the job because financially it's a loser. Pays only 4.4hrs. Then drive to the dealer and ask them to document this situation. If you read the TSB you have satisfied Mazda USA's requirements to have the seals replace as defined in the TSB. I know there will be some that say my suggestion is not right. But you need to look at ir this way. The tsb requires no oil monitoring. Which is strange. Its almost as if Mazda knows the seals are bad, and will fail sooner or later. :) If it was my car I would want those seals out if there asap. Your plugging up your cat and you aren't doing your rings any favor by pushing that much oil into the combustion chamber

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back