2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox

I doubt there is a "market need".... more like designers just messing around with stuff to see what works, clicks, etc.

Having said that, the vehicle should certainly come with a caponizing kit.

Not necessarily. Could be targeting older customers who prefer push button rather than a shifter?

"We spoke with one of the lead interior designers of the 2018 Terrain, and he stated the main reason to move any shifting duties away from the center stack was to fully utilize the space for customers. This means cupholder placement is incredibly convenient and ergonomics of other essentials are right in reach. GMC called the space prime real estate.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01...s-to-push-button-gear-selector/#ixzz4edFmR3Mu

That makes a lot more sense than what Honda did with the Acura MDX and the top trims of the Pilot. Honda put the pushbutton shifter in the same location as the conventional shifter and it takes up just as much space.

Nostalgia?
DSC_0019a.jpg

I was thinking about those old Chrysler pushbutton shifters too. When I was a kid, my best friend's grandmother had an old Dodge Coronet with a pushbutton shifter that I rode in a couple of times.

So, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, in anticipation of the diesel CX-5 in the US. I bought my Golf TDI about 6 months before all the turmoil, and have been debating ever since about what to do. I'd just get the fix, but I could use a bit more space and a bit more ground clearance, AWD, plus I'm unsure about the fix. I've been waiting for that CX-5. Finally bit the bullet and went to the local Chevy dealer and drove the diesel Equinox they have in stock. I've always had an aversion to GM (memories from my 70s childhood) but it seems like they at least don't look like complete blobs anymore.

So we drove it and actually liked it. Acceleration was fine for our needs - not as doggy as the Internet led us to believe. Interior isn't as bad as it sounded (better than Hubby's Focus ST). Went there expecting to hate it, and just cross it off the list. But it was great - I could actually see myself buying one. AWD can be turned off when not needed. Seats fold flat. Price was a lot better than MSRP. Dealer is 1/2 hour away, instead of the 3.5 hours to the nearest Mazda dealer (who I would never do business with, so more like 5 hours). Seemed weird that you can't get fog lights without going to the Premier. Anyway, the interior didn't look exactly like the one linked early in this thread. Seemed better.

Heading to Wisconsin in a couple weeks, and will test drive another gas CX-5, Forester, CR-V, Equinox, etc. Need a side-by-side comparison. I've been wondering if Mazda might hold off on the diesel to see what Trump does about tariffs. If they are going to do this, it would behoove them to do so before the last of us VW-types reach the end of the line for buybacks. Which is soon. But the tariff threat could kill the whole thing. Not that any car is truly American these days (Chevy Equinox: Mexico and Hungary).

So, I've been lurking on this forum for a while, in anticipation of the diesel CX-5 in the US. I bought my Golf TDI about 6 months before all the turmoil, and have been debating ever since about what to do. I'd just get the fix, but I could use a bit more space and a bit more ground clearance, AWD, plus I'm unsure about the fix. I've been waiting for that CX-5. Finally bit the bullet and went to the local Chevy dealer and drove the diesel Equinox they have in stock. I've always had an aversion to GM (memories from my 70s childhood) but it seems like they at least don't look like complete blobs anymore.

So we drove it and actually liked it. Acceleration was fine for our needs - not as doggy as the Internet led us to believe. Interior isn't as bad as it sounded (better than Hubby's Focus ST). Went there expecting to hate it, and just cross it off the list. But it was great - I could actually see myself buying one. AWD can be turned off when not needed. Seats fold flat. Price was a lot better than MSRP. Dealer is 1/2 hour away, instead of the 3.5 hours to the nearest Mazda dealer (who I would never do business with, so more like 5 hours). Seemed weird that you can't get fog lights without going to the Premier. Anyway, the interior didn't look exactly like the one linked early in this thread. Seemed better.

Heading to Wisconsin in a couple weeks, and will test drive another gas CX-5, Forester, CR-V, Equinox, etc. Need a side-by-side comparison. I've been wondering if Mazda might hold off on the diesel to see what Trump does about tariffs. If they are going to do this, it would behoove them to do so before the last of us VW-types reach the end of the line for buybacks. Which is soon. But the tariff threat could kill the whole thing. Not that any car is truly American these days (Chevy Equinox: Mexico and Hungary).

Mazda has been holding off the diesel because of compliance issues with US emission regulations.

Much as I like MAZDA, I feel that all they have done so far with their diesel fuel contamination problem is to put bandads on it by giving owners new dipsticks and a retry at a reprogram. After years of problems with no concrete solution you'd think they would switch over to the Urea solutions. Just my take on the problem by following the complaint chronology. :-( Ed

I just drove a 2018 Chevy Equinox for 1 week (rental). Here is where it is BETTER than the CX5:

• Infotainment is Android capable, reverse camera is more intuitive (supposedly 2019 CX5 will have this feature), better display, etc
  • You can leave the vehicle running, lock it via FOB and unlock it via FOB (not possible with CX5)
  • Air cooled seats
  • Crash avoidance has a vibrating sensor underneath the drivers seat which causes it to vibrate when activated

Overall it wasn't a bad vehicle. It had some advantages over the CX5 and some disadvantages. If Mazda gets the above in the CX5 for 2019, then the CX5 would be the clear winner.

Last edited:
Much as I like MAZDA, I feel that all they have done so far with their diesel fuel contamination problem is to put bandads on it by giving owners new dipsticks and a retry at a reprogram. After years of problems with no concrete solution you'd think they would switch over to the Urea solutions. Just my take on the problem by following the complaint chronology. :-( Ed
Actually Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L could have other issues. I just watched a YouTube review from Taiwan for 2019 Mazda CX-5. One of the three drawbacks the reviewer said Mazda in Taiwan stopped offering more popular 2.2L diesel as an option on 2019 CX-5 because many 2018 CX-5 diesel owners have encountered overheating problem and Mazda haven't figured out the resolution.

Actually Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L could have other issues. I just watched a YouTube review from Taiwan for 2019 Mazda CX-5. One of the three drawbacks the reviewer said Mazda in Taiwan stopped offering more popular 2.2L diesel as an option on 2019 CX-5 because many 2018 CX-5 diesel owners have encountered overheating problem and Mazda haven't figured out the resolution.

AFAIK no such reports here.

Last edited:
The reverse camera on the Chevy had a birds eye view of the vehicle and then it had forward and reverse camera shots with yellow movable guidance strips. Made parking in tight spaces a lot easier.

360 Mazda view monitor has this.

Unfortunately, a lot of the features named as advantages of the Equinox are only available on the highest-end trim with a $4500 package added, driving the MSRP up to $40k (for the diesel). Wasn't trying to say the Equinox was better, as I don't know but I really doubt it, but just that if I want a diesel, the Equinox is what is available, and it seems like a good vehicle. The diesel CX-5 doesn't exist yet in my world, and I need to do something soon.

One thing I do like about the new Equinox is they have huge 12.6-inch rotors for the turbo models. Hey what can I say?, I'm a rotors man.

Last edited:
Back