Year 2 CX-90 changes?

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2021 CX-5 GT
I know the CX-90 is not even a year old, but I have decided to wait for the year 2 model to purchase. What are people thinking will either be added, changed, modified or fixed in the year two model?

I know the CX-90 is not even a year old, but I have decided to wait for the year 2 model to purchase. What are people thinking will either be added, changed, modified or fixed in the year two model?
I am hoping they will add remote start on the key fob. And an updated key fob would be nice. The Telluride didn’t have remote start in the first year, but then they added it to all trims for the second year. So one can only hope

I would like the top of the line PHEV to come with the same interior as the top Turbo S. And drop the 280 HP engine.

I would also like the option to turn off the engine noise in the cabin or have it only there in sport mode.

Last edited:
I would like the top of the line PHEV to come with the same interior as the top Turbo S. And drop the 280 HP engine.

I would also like the option to turn off the engine noise in the cabin or have it only there in sport mode.
Yes, it doesn’t make any sense that you get penalized for getting the premium PHEV over the Turbo S. Mazda is already at a severe disadvantage with the CX-90 not qualifying for the US EV credit. You think they would be offering more features on the PHEV, not less.

I am hoping they will add remote start on the key fob. And an updated key fob would be nice. The Telluride didn’t have remote start in the first year, but then they added it to all trims for the second year. So one can only hope
Read my comments on Remote Start via $600 cell phone App ONLY! Not on fob. Be careful. Mazda money making scam.

The ability to unlock the car on all 4 doors vs. just the 2 front doors.

Have a cargo cover designed for the center row bucket seats. Currently only offering a cargo cover designed for bench seats.

Have a bench seat option in some of the higher trims or at least up to include the Turbo trims not necessarily the Turbo S trim.

What does the CX-90 currently have for ambient lighting? Maybe they could add colour-customizable ambient lighting?

- The matrix LED headlights that are available on the European CX60
- The bench seat spec. issue figured out (not available on upper trims) seems to be deterring folks away from the vehicle. I like the captain chairs but get why others want the bench.
- The transmission issues figured out
- Dark, real wood trim in the tan colour interior option
- Tweak the sunroof design so it opens more
- Make the digital rear view mirror standard in top trim spec. with modest increase in cost of vehicle
- Full touch screen all the time so people would stop complaining about it
- More customizable gauges
- Change in shifter operation so it makes a bit more sense to everyone
- Change the remote start system so it doesn't turn the car off when you first open a door

Some of these are probably easier tweaks than others.

I would hope that they can make the center console be touch screen. That is standard on much less expensive vehicles these days. I am getting used to the knob, but.. come on. Even my wife's 3-year old Mini Cooper has touch screen.

It already is touch screen with Apple carplay and android auto. The feature is disabled when using the Mazda interface.

So i guess your wish has been 50% granted

For all you complaining about Apple CarPlay android auto only touchscreen realize that by just using the dial you don’t have to worry about constantly cleaning the touchscreen. It’s the whole reason why BMW went that were out because you don’t have to worry about fingerprints, nor having to constantly move screens around, versus a simple dial, which is much safer in long run.

I’m a simple guy, so just 2nd-row bench seats for the highest trims. At least, offer it as an option.
It's not even about being a simple guy.

I'm a bit OCD about details, but I dont like looking back and seeing all my junk in the rear when the 3rd row is down. The visual thru the gap in the seats would bother me. Esp with light colored seats contrasting the black/dark view in the rear.

Going further, when there is a floor gap, it's for me wasted space. I guess some might want the pass thru for kids to get too the 3rd, but for me its just empty space where my kid (just the one) would drop his crap. I believe this isn't an issue with the CX90 due to a console, but for other vehicles give me the bench with the fold down simple console from the middle seatback and I'm happy.

I could solve the prob by waiting for the 70 or getting another brand's 5 seater, but sometimes that has compromises for space, luxury, and towing (see the 5 and 50 for ex).

Captains chairs made sense when they were minivan upgrades over the park bench style seating, circa late 80s. Now, especially since I'm not sitting in them, I'm not a fan.

I'm a bit OCD about details, but I dont like looking back and seeing all my junk in the rear when the 3rd row is down. The visual thru the gap in the seats would bother me. Esp with light colored seats contrasting the black/dark view in the rear.

Going further, when there is a floor gap, it's for me wasted space. I guess some might want the pass thru for kids to get too the 3rd, but for me its just empty space where my kid (just the one) would drop his crap. I believe this isn't an issue with the CX90 due to a console, but for other vehicles give me the bench with the fold down simple console from the middle seatback and I'm happy.

I could solve the prob by waiting for the 70 or getting another brand's 5 seater, but sometimes that has compromises for space, luxury, and towing (see the 5 and 50 for ex).

Captains chairs made sense when they were minivan upgrades over the park bench style seating, circa late 80s. Now, especially since I'm not sitting in them, I'm not a fan.
I agree with you about that gap between the seats is distracting and annoying. I’m thinking about having a custom upholsterer make a panel to attach to the cargo cover that will fill that gap and make it look like part of the interior and anchor it to the headrests of the third row when down.

I'm currently looking into a CX-90 for my next purchase. This gap bothers me as well but for a different reason. I have a large dog that travels with me and not have a flat fold down option is almost a no go. I'm looking into aftermarket options for my dog to ride around in comfort. She is super spoiled currently in my RAM which gives her the entire backseat area with the fold up seats.

Yeah, never been a fan of Captain’s Chairs. I find them impractical from a passenger perspective, especially since the CX-90, much like the CX-9, isn’t necessarily the most spacious 3-row SUV. Having even part of the 3rd row up, when there’s 5 passengers, compromises the cargo area that may now no longer fit the stuff that 5 people would take on say, a road trip. That’s one of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on a 2019 CX-9 Signature that had 2nd-row bench seats with the Auburn Red interior when Mazda announced the 2020 CX-9 Signature was going Captain’s Chairs and losing the Auburn Red interior. I’m really disappointed that the trend continues with the CX-90 and most of the new 3-row SUVs. If only Mazda can engineer something similar to the 2nd-row of the Acura MDX and/or Honda Pilot.

I am with all of you on the 2nd row captain chair. To me it has close to zero benefits, unless you use the third row a lot, and your kids are still small enough to use the middle gap to go to the back. But then almost no one does, because that third row is too small.

The funny thing is that the first cx-9 model years didn’t have captain chairs, and I remember earring people complaining about it. Some saying it was a deal breaker. Mazda is giving in to what the market is asking. I so wish we had the option to choose, instead of being limited to the bench on the lower trim only.

I am with all of you on the 2nd row captain chair. To me it has close to zero benefits, unless you use the third row a lot, and your kids are still small enough to use the middle gap to go to the back. But then almost no one does, because that third row is too small.

The funny thing is that the first cx-9 model years didn’t have captain chairs, and I remember earring people complaining about it. Some saying it was a deal breaker. Mazda is giving in to what the market is asking. I so wish we had the option to choose, instead of being limited to the bench on the lower trim only.

For some reason, I think it was from the surveys. Most people asked for captain chairs and the majority were using it as a 4 seater with extra room.

I think Mazda really listens to those surveys.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions to help with large dogs in this area? I know she can travel in the back area with the third row down but she will want to get into the second row area for sure. Some sort of a device that takes the second row when folded down and evens it out so a dog could walk around would be super ideal.

Back