What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Well, I experienced my first car accident. Teenager ran a stop sign at a blind intersection and T-boned me (and I had no stop sign). Thankfully, neither parties suffered injuries.Progressive is getting me taken care of as swiftly as they can. Once I get the check I'm going to get another CX-5. Impressive how well it handled that impact! 161K miles on it and it still cranked over on the -25 F days without a whimper.

View attachment 317361
View attachment 317362
View attachment 317360
A little update, Progressive got back to me and is paying $500 more than the sticker price I paid for it in November 2021. Hopefully, the check will be in my hands next week. They have been super quick through this whole process and I have nothing but good things to say about the folks that work there.

Do what you want but here in Illinois front plates are required. Yet, I've NEVER had a front plate on any of my vehicles and I've been driving here since 1984. Never been pulled over either, for not having a front plate at least. Speeding is another story, but the LEO said nothing about the missing plate.

ONE time I received a warning notice for not having a front plate, I was parked at a train station, I ignored the warning.

YMMV
It depends on where you drive. I haven't had a front plate on my vehicles since the mid 80's, as well. I've had a few warning tickets, but South Barrington and Buffalo Grove are looking for anything to pull you over. I've paid their fines a couple times and just moved on. I think they have a quota for it.

It depends on where you drive. I haven't had a front plate on my vehicles since the mid 80's, as well. I've had a few warning tickets, but South Barrington and Buffalo Grove are looking for anything to pull you over. I've paid their fines a couple times and just moved on. I think they have a quota for it.
I never understood the reasoning for the front plate...usually if you do something bad(robbed a bank, assaulted someone, sped through a school zone), the popo is behind you... Has to be a simple revenue enhancer for all those new police cruisers.

I never understood the reasoning for the front plate...usually if you do something bad(robbed a bank, assaulted someone, sped through a school zone), the popo is behind you... Has to be a simple revenue enhancer for all those new police cruisers.
plate readers/cameras catch front plates all the time.

plate readers/cameras catch front plates all the time.

Yes, that's the reasoning for the front plates here. It's pretty much for the benefit of law enforcement and nothing else.

I specifically asked my salesman making sure not to drill 2 holes at the front bumper to install the license plate when my special ordered 2016 CX-5 arrived the dealership. Don’t have the front plate on my 1998 Honda CR-V and previous VW Passat either. My 2000 BMW does have one that’s because BMW designed a built-in lbracket for front plate on the bumper, it’d be uglier without a license plate.

I did get pulled over once for no front license plate with my CR-V on a U-turn underpass in Houston where several police cars waiting to stop many cars where they could find anything to write a ticket. I had to spend time to talk to the judge presenting my front license plate. The judge waived the fine, but I‘d to pay $30 court fee.

When I ordered our CX I also specifically told the salesman NOT to mount the front license plate holder and NOT to drill any holes. I also told them NOT to apply any of their dealership's stickers on the car. Guess what I found when I arrived to pick up our new CX? A front plate holder and stickers.

As I was inspecting the car upon arrival, I walked to the front with the salesman besides me. I looked at the front plate holder and asked him WTF is that? He hemmed and hawed and then pointed to the note that he had placed on the dash of the car. The note said DO NOT INSTALL PLATE HOLDER.

Yeah, at least it wasn't the salesman's fault and he blamed someone else. There were stickers on the back hatch as well. The salesman asked me what I wanted to do. What was I to do? Refuse the car that I waited weeks and weeks for? He asked about the stickers, and do I want them removed? I told him no, that I would do it myself when I got home.

Once home I got the stickers off with no problem, but the plate mount was another story. Who ever mounted the plate was/is a complete moron. I removed the plate holder and found out that the idiot couldn't even get the freakin screws screwed into the divets in the bumper cover properly, the holes were next to the divets. WTF!!!!

I suppose I could have made a BIG stink about it and had the bumper cover replaced. I elected to put some small plastic plugs in the holes and call it good enough. I'm the only one who notices this but still....

Last edited:
Found a 2016 with 124K miles for $14K, thinking I'm going to bite on that. I was thinking about moving to KF but I can save a significant amount of money while retaining many of the features I wanted from the 2017 models (namely CarPlay). IIRC there were some other changes to noise reduction. Is there anyone who went from a 2013-2015 to a 16 and noticed a difference on the highway?

When I ordered our CX I also specifically told the salesman NOT to mount the front license plate holder and NOT to drill any holes. I also told them NOT to apply any of their dealership's stickers on the car. Guess what I found when I arrived to pick up our new CX? A front plate holder and stickers.

As I was inspecting the car upon arrival, I walked to the front with the salesman besides me. I looked at the front plate holder and asked him WTF is that? He hemmed and hawed and then pointed to the note that he had placed on the dash of the car. The note said DO NOT INSTALL PLATE HOLDER.

Yeah, at least it wasn't the salesman's fault and he blamed someone else. There were stickers on the back hatch as well. The salesman asked me what I wanted to do. What was I to do? Refuse the car that I waited weeks and weeks for? He asked about the stickers, and do I want them removed? I told him no, that I would do it myself when I got home.

Once home I got the stickers off with no problem, but the plate mount was another story. Who ever mounted the plate was/is a complete moron. I removed the plate holder and found out that the idiot couldn't even get the freakin screws screwed into the divets in the bumper cover properly, the holes were next to the divets. WTF!!!!

I suppose I could have made a BIG stink about it and had the bumper cover replaced. I elected to put some small plastic plugs in the holes and call it good enough. I'm the only one who notices this but still....
I guess my Mazda dealer, which I feel they’re one of the best car dealers I’ve ever experienced with, apparently is doing much better job treating their customers.

When I went to an Oakland Toyota dealer with my daughter picking up her just arrived 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE, I asked the salesman not to install the front license plate. Apparently this wasn’t the first time he heard such request, he immediately pulled out the New Car Prep check list, and pointed to one line which says install the front license plate as “required” by California law. :oops:

I guess my Mazda dealer, which I feel they’re one of the best car dealers I’ve ever experienced with, apparently is doing much better job treating their customers.

When I went to an Oakland Toyota dealer with my daughter picking up her just arrived 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE, I asked the salesman not to install the front license plate. Apparently this wasn’t the first time he heard such request, he immediately pulled out the New Car Prep check list, and pointed to one line which says install the front license plate as “required” by California law. :oops:

To that, I would have asked them to "install" it on the grille with some zip ties instead of drilling into the plastic. But at least the OEM plate location on the Corolla isn't too bad.

The salesman quoted the same thing here, that Illinois, by law, requires a front plate. I asked him if it was the car dealers' job to enforce the laws of the state? He of course said that it wasn't. I then asked him if it would be the dealer's problem, or mine, if I got pulled over for not having a front plate? Of course, it would be my problem.

There wasn't any point in continuing with that conversation, so, I drove off in our new CX, happy enough,

Last edited:
Found a 2016 with 124K miles for $14K, thinking I'm going to bite on that. I was thinking about moving to KF but I can save a significant amount of money while retaining many of the features I wanted from the 2017 models (namely CarPlay). IIRC there were some other changes to noise reduction. Is there anyone who went from a 2013-2015 to a 16 and noticed a difference on the highway?
Many here including me believe the 2016.5 CX-5 is the best CX-5 ever. 2016 is fine but you may need a pair of revised rear disk calipers with EPB to prevent dragging problem. The other major issue is the LED headlights if that 2016 CX-5 has that option. But Mazda finally issued a recall on that so that isn’t a problem now.

2016 CX-5 had a major face-lift. And 2017 CX-5 is the 2nd generation CX-5. I personally like the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 the best as it retained the original CX-5’s “Kodo” design. There’re more TSBs on 2017 CX-5 such as front suspension and engine mounts as it’s a new generation, but nothing major like the 2018 and newer which has cylinder deactivation on the 2.5L NA.

There’s a kit from Mazda to add the CarPlay for the 2016 and newer CX-5’s. And yes Mazda claimed the face-lifted 2016 CX-5 has more soundproofing material than 2015 CX-5. But I couldn’t tell the difference on noise while I testdrove both vehicles at the time. Gen-2 CX-5 should have better noise reduction as Mazda started to use acoustic glass on windshield and front door windows on gen-2 CX-5.

I’d also try to find out if that 2016 CX-5 actually is a 2016.5 by the window sticker if it’s still available, or checking the manufacture date on the door jamb. Everything manufactured after Feb. 2016 should be a 2016.5 CX-5.

Many here including me believe the 2016.5 CX-5 is the best CX-5 ever. 2016 is fine but you may need a pair of revised rear disk calipers with EPB to prevent dragging problem. The other major issue is the LED headlights if that 2016 CX-5 has that option. But Mazda finally issued a recall on that so that isn’t a problem now.

2016 CX-5 had a major face-lift. And 2017 CX-5 is the 2nd generation CX-5. I personally like the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 the best as it retained the original CX-5’s “Kodo” design. There’re more TSBs on 2017 CX-5 such as front suspension and engine mounts as it’s a new generation, but nothing major like the 2018 and newer which has cylinder deactivation on the 2.5L NA.

There’s a kit from Mazda to add the CarPlay for the 2016 and newer CX-5’s. And yes Mazda claimed the face-lifted 2016 CX-5 has more soundproofing material than 2015 CX-5. But I couldn’t tell the difference on noise while I testdrove both vehicles at the time. Gen-2 CX-5 should have better noise reduction as Mazda started to use acoustic glass on windshield and front door windows on gen-2 CX-5.

I’d also try to find out if that 2016 CX-5 actually is a 2016.5 by the window sticker if it’s still available, or checking the manufacture date on the door jamb. Everything manufactured after Feb. 2016 should be a 2016.5 CX-5.
Thanks for the detailed reply. So, it's a Touring with Halogen bulbs (which I'm fine with, they're so easy to replace), and no heated seats, so I know it's just a 16, not a 16.5. The dealer I'm buying from has a few other CX-5s on the lot, another 2016 that looks a lot more beat up, a 2014 with the gated shifter, and a 2015 model as I had previously. I'd prefer a 16.5 with the Bose / Moonroof and Touring Tech package (if I'm being greedy in Soul Red with a white leather interior...), but this 2016 I found was by far the best price/mileage/condition in a 200-mile radius of me in MN.

To that, I would have asked them to "install" it oby the grille with some zip ties instead of drilling into the plastic. But at least the OEM plate location on the Corolla isn't too bad.
Next time if I ever have an opportunity in such situation I’d try to say that.

But you’re right, somehow a front license plate on Toyota’s and Lexus’ huge black front grille actually looks better than without it IMO.

Thanks for the detailed reply. So, it's a Touring with Halogen bulbs (which I'm fine with, they're so easy to replace), and no heated seats, so I know it's just a 16, not a 16.5. The dealer I'm buying from has a few other CX-5s on the lot, another 2016 that looks a lot more beat up, a 2014 with the gated shifter, and a 2015 model as I had previously. I'd prefer a 16.5 with the Bose / Moonroof and Touring Tech package (if I'm being greedy in Soul Red with a white leather interior...), but this 2016 I found was by far the best price/mileage/condition in a 200-mile radius of me in MN.
I personally would worry a bit on a used car with 124K miles. Depending on how much more miles you plan to drive on this CX-5, I’d imagine you could encounter some major problems especially on transmission if the ATF has never been changed. In MN you should also check the rust condition on the CX-5 where I have less confidence on a Mazda than a Toyota.

If I were you I’d be more open minded and be also looking for other brands on used. Buying a used car is always risky IMO as you never know the true history of the vehicle. To me, the lesser on miles the better.

I personally would worry a bit on a used car with 124K miles. Depending on how much more miles you plan to drive on this CX-5, I’d imagine you could encounter some major problems especially on transmission if the ATF has never been changed. In MN you should also check the rust condition on the CX-5 where I have less confidence on a Mazda than a Toyota.

If I were you I’d be more open minded and be also looking for other brands on used. Buying a used car is always risky IMO as you never know the true history of the vehicle. To me, the lesser on miles the better.
The dealer imports all of his cars from salt-free states, so I'm not too worried about the condition underneath. The last one I bought from him was flawless. Also, my last CX-5 made it to 160K with oil changes, air filter changes, and tire rotations for 30K miles... which I racked up in a bit over a year! The morning I was t-boned it was 10 below and it had no issues. The reliability is a primary reason I'm looking at the CX-5. They are as capable of running a long life as a RAV4.

The dealer imports all of his cars from salt-free states, so I'm not too worried about the condition underneath. The last one I bought from him was flawless. Also, my last CX-5 made it to 160K with oil changes, air filter changes, and tire rotations for 30K miles... which I racked up in a bit over a year! The morning I was t-boned it was 10 below and it had no issues. The reliability is a primary reason I'm looking at the CX-5. They are as capable of running a long life as a RAV4.
It’s nice that you’ve a good experience on reliability driving the CX-5. As long as you get a 2017 or earlier CX-5, it should be pretty reliable on the 2.5L NA without cylinder deactivation feature.

My first dilemma if I were you once I got that 2016 CX-5 with 124K miles would be: should I drop the pan to change the ATF and filter? And should I change the coolant with fresh FL-22 coolant?

3162C12C-4E14-43C5-A6D8-CA877C0C170B.jpeg

If all is right she will be mine next week. Do these headlights look OEM? They look like my halogen ones, but a bright LED color. I thought the OEM ones had a line through them for the DRL.

1A11DCC2-0C49-462D-A91A-E9FA01F5AC76.jpeg

Do these headlights look OEM? They look like my halogen ones, but a bright LED color. I thought the OEM ones had a line through them for the DRL.
Looks to me like my 2016.5 projector with halogen bulbs but likely someone installed a hotter (color temperature) bulb in it. Or something like one of those Osram "thruNight' bulbs .

The DRL on a 2016 touring are the high beam bulbs (used at a lower wattage) .

View attachment 317478

If all is right she will be mine next week. Do these headlights look OEM? They look like my halogen ones, but a bright LED color. I thought the OEM ones had a line through them for the DRL.

View attachment 317479
No, you have a 2016 CX-5 Touring; and the headlights are standard halogen. It’s possible the previous owner installed a pair of H11 compatible LED bulbs for the low beams so that the lights look like white.

Here’s what the optional factory LED headlight with LED Signature DRL looks like:

9F1C4480-7BD2-41B4-BCEF-05DB621E0C1A.jpeg

DBB15DBF-95CF-4E8A-A5A0-0306F1BBE946.jpeg

Back