Mazda Large Product Technology Forum

I am not sure if the I6 will be the top end model. They might market it the opposite way, like how the plug-in hybrid version is the top end model with the higher power in the Toyota RAV 4.
That will imply that a 6 cylinder will be standard engine. No, that's not going to happen.

The link I gave above is now stating that the Australian I6 is a de-tuned version of the engine to meet emissions requirements in Australia.

The HP and Torque of the I6, if it is the top end model, will have to be higher than the 2.5/Hybrid engine.
That would make the most sense.

That will imply that a 6 cylinder will be standard engine. No, that's not going to happen.

While i agree it doesn’t make much sense, i would be surprised if people in Australia are willing to pay more money for the inline 6 than for the hybrid if it make less power, less torque and obviously has worst fuel economy. There would literally be no reasons to pay a premium to get the 6.

Not sure if this is a good hint or not, but all the mazda communication on the inline 6 design talks about the efficiency of the engine compared to a 4 cylinder, and not its power.

The way I see it (in Australia at least), i think the standard engine is a 6 cylinder (either diesel or gasoline) and the plug-in hybrid is a premium. We will see when the pricing and trims information comes out.

The CX-60 in Europe is also priced fairly high. In the Uk it is about the same price as a RAV 4 Prime, which is in the same realm as a base X3 over there.

In the US the RAV 4 prime sells for 40 000$. So a US CX-60/70 with the hybrid engine would be about 40 000$. The closest model, the CX-50, starts at 27 000$. From 27k to 40k for base model CX-50 to base model CX-60/70 seems too high for me. I could see a 32-35k base model CX-60/70 slotting nicely in there.

I know we were all dreaming to have a performance i6 engine in those mazdas, but I truly starting to think that the electrified version will be the top performer. This is all assumptions on my part of course, but this is how i think it will pan out in Australia at least.

The plot thickens as Mazda keeps adding more engine options to the mix! :confused: A Canada dealer posted this today so this is based on info provided to all North American dealers and would be the same for the US. It looks like there will be a 4 cyl Hybrid in addition to the in-line 6 Mild-hybrid and the PHEV. This is the first I have heard of a 4 cyl Hybrid option and wonder if this will be based on Toyota's Hybrid like what is planned for the CX-50.

Maybe the 4 cyl Hybrid will be the base engine with the in-line 6 going in the mid to top trims. That could help to facilitate a higher performance inline 6 and why it would be different from Australia where the inline 6 needs to cover the base trim.

It’s the all new 2024 Mazda CX-90 being tested ahead of it’s release date in early 2023!
It’s Mazda’s all new rear wheel drive platform with standard AWD, the three engine choices will be an in-line 6 cylinder mild hybrid, 4 cylinder hybrid & a 4 cylinder PHEV option all paired to a 8 speed automatic.
Place a factory order today and take delivery in the new year!

The CX-60 in Japan will have. 2.5l 48v mild-hybrid option. So maybe that is what we would get unless there is a new 4 cyl Hybrid (CX-50 Toyota based Hybrid?) that is coming.

The plot thickens as Mazda keeps adding more engine options to the mix! :confused: A Canada dealer posted this today so this is based on info provided to all North American dealers and would be the same for the US. It looks like there will be a 4 cyl Hybrid in addition to the in-line 6 Mild-hybrid and the PHEV. This is the first I have heard of a 4 cyl Hybrid option and wonder if this will be based on Toyota's Hybrid like what is planned for the CX-50.

Maybe the 4 cyl Hybrid will be the base engine with the in-line 6 going in the mid to top trims. That could help to facilitate a higher performance inline 6 and why it would be different from Australia where the inline 6 needs to cover the base trim.

While i agree it doesn’t make much sense, i would be surprised if people in Australia are willing to pay more money for the inline 6 than for the hybrid if it make less power, less torque and obviously has worst fuel economy. There would literally be no reasons to pay a premium to get the 6.

Not sure if this is a good hint or not, but all the mazda communication on the inline 6 design talks about the efficiency of the engine compared to a 4 cylinder, and not its power.

The way I see it (in Australia at least), i think the standard engine is a 6 cylinder (either diesel or gasoline) and the plug-in hybrid is a premium. We will see when the pricing and trims information comes out.
I think both you guys might be on to something. Think the standard engine will be a NA hybrid however it doesn't make too much sense to keep the plug-in hybrid as your most premium offering.

A PHEV its nowhere near a premium offering nowadays and based on the existing reviews in Europe, it doesn't deliver. A premium offering will be a inline six turbocharged with a 48V mild hybrid system and this should sit at the top of the lineup.

Mazda Australia released pricing for the CX-60 (inline gas/diesel and PHEV) and we can see how it is priced in comparison to other vehicles in Australia.

You can not do a direct exchange rate for US pricing, but they did mention the CX-60 inline-6 would start at 10% more than the top trim CX-5. We can also see that the inline-6 gas engine would have the lowest price with diesel slightly more and the PHEV at a much higher price.

Also, in this review there was a comment from Mazda that they believe the fuel economy from the inline-6 gas engine would be about the same as the existing 2.5l NA engine. I can now see that they sacrificed some performance for incredible fuel economy from an inline-6.

Exactly what I thought they would do after they published the hp and torque of the inline 6. The gasoline inline 6 for the base engine and the hybrid for the highest price. That make sense to me, even though a high performance inline 6 would have been a welcome addition to the line up.

Looking forward to see what they will do in North-America, they may use a different engine configuration and pricing scheme.

Exactly what I thought they would do after they published the hp and torque of the inline 6. The gasoline inline 6 for the base engine and the hybrid for the highest price. That make sense to me, even though a high performance inline 6 would have been a welcome addition to the line up.

Looking forward to see what they will do in North-America, they may use a different engine configuration and pricing scheme.
Their approach is interesting. I can't wait to see these on dealer lots and start planning what I want! I was very excited to plan for a 6 cylinder model but the impressive fuel economy of the 2.5 system may be hard to pass up.

Also, in this review there was a comment from Mazda that they believe the fuel economy from the inline-6 gas engine would be about the same as the existing 2.5l NA engine. I can now see that they sacrificed some performance for incredible fuel economy from an inline-6.

I don't believe this one bit for the NA market, otherwise they would have brought the Skyactiv X Inline Six here, probably which will make the same amount of power.
I still believe that in NA it will sit at the top of the lineup, while the PHEV will be in the middle trim.

Either way, can't come soon enough as I need to buy a car in the first half of 2023.

As the 2.5 NA or the 2.5T? If it got the same mileage as the 2.5A NA, that would be incredible.

Back