Guide ATF Drain/Fill

Just did mine today, opted to remove the air box. Really, it's only about 3 or 4 minutes more and you have a whole lot of room to check fluid at the right temp. Drained about 3 quarts and a few ounces, put the same back and the level fell right in line. Hardest part was taking the undercovers off. I hate those push-pins...View attachment 318346

View attachment 318345
When you removed the air box, did you somehow keep the wiring connected to avoid the error code with engine idling?

Most posts I’ve seen that ~3¾ quarts are the quantity the ATF drained for a drain-and-fill. Yours seems to be on the low side? And you used the same amount to refill. Did you keep your CX-5 leveled? Did you check the ATF temperature close to 122°F when you checked the ATF level?

When you removed the air box, did you somehow keep the wiring connected to avoid the error code with engine idling?

Most posts I’ve seen that ~3¾ quarts are the quantity the ATF drained for a drain-and-fill. Yours seems to be on the low side? And you used the same amount to refill. Did you keep your CX-5 leveled? Did you check the ATF temperature close to 122°F when you checked the ATF level?
If you look at the engine picture you can see that the air box in still connected and pushed to the side, no need to disconnect it. Car was as level as could be, slightly lower to the passenger side if anything which could explain the discrepancy. Yes, did have a OBD hookup and checked at 122 and up to 128.

Last edited:

You're only removing the bottom half. It's two bolts, and then it pops right out.

Plenty of room to reach down in there and check your fluid level.

Just did mine today, opted to remove the air box. Really, it's only about 3 or 4 minutes more and you have a whole lot of room to check fluid at the right temp. Drained about 3 quarts and a few ounces, put the same back and the level fell right in line. Hardest part was taking the undercovers off. I hate those push-pins...View attachment 318346

View attachment 318345
I was trying to remove these push pins too and it seems I will break them. Do you use a special took to remove them?

Yeah, push pin pliers. Takes them out easy.

1680629023532.png

I was trying to remove these push pins too and it seems I will break them. Do you use a special took to remove them?
small blade screwdriver to pop the center pin and a pair of pliers to pull them out. And as determined as I was not to, I lost one, don't know where the hell it got to. Must be in the same place where all the lost socks go.....

Last edited:
small blade screwdriver to pop the center pin and a pair of pliers to pull them out. And as determined as I was not to, I lost one, don't know where the hell it got to. Must be in the same place where all the lost socks go.....
I keep a collection of various size pins. They aren't expensive at all, and if you do regular maintenance on your stuff, they absolutely will get broken.
240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler https://a.co/d/8je5R4p

Like madar, I use a small flat-head screwdriver stick into one of the cut-offs around the center pin and lift the center pin (serve as a lock) out fully, then the whole push pin can be pulled out easily.

If you look at the engine picture you can see that the air box in still connected and pushed to the side, no need to disconnect it.
It sounded easy enough.

Car was as level as could be, slightly lower to the passenger side if anything which could explain the discrepancy.
If I remember it correctly, you drained more ATF last time than this time?

Yes, did have a OBD hookup and checked at 122 and up to 128.
What kind of OBDII hardware / software do you use?

It sounded easy enough.

If I remember it correctly, you drained more ATF last time than this time?

What kind of OBDII hardware / software do you use?
It was easy, tough part was pulling the dipstick out, was in there for 7 years and was difficult. O-ring fits down in the oil hole and was difficult pulling out, had to gently twist and pull the dipstick, think I might have torn the o-ring a bit but it's not leaking. I bought a BAFX OBD reader for Android ($21) years ago and use Forscan with it, $7 for the license. This was the first time trans fluid was changed in 75k miles. I highly recommend a shorter interval. Fluid wasn't in bad shape, must be good stuff, no residue on the drain plug at all.

Last edited:
I keep a collection of various size pins. They aren't expensive at all, and if you do regular maintenance on your stuff, they absolutely will get broken.
240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler https://a.co/d/8je5R4p
yeah, I bought a 100 piece bag from Amazon for 8 bucks..

⋯ Fluid wasn't in bad shape, must be good stuff, no residue on the drain plug at all.
The drain plug doesn’t have any magnet hence you won’t see any metal residue on it. If you ever decide to drop the pan, you’ll see all the metal shavings there, on the magnetic disk attached to the inside of the pan. See these photos from post #238 by rj_make:

74CBA17A-2AF9-4750-AF45-90A09032B4B0.jpeg

4F263E51-16E4-4DC7-BCA1-2E05CFD3B89C.jpeg

This is the kit I bought last year. I used at least 2 of the sizes. Putting a washer under the rivet makes for a tighter fit, especially the plastic wheelwell liners. The included rivet removal tool works great.

The drain plug doesn’t have any magnet hence you won’t see any metal residue on it. If you ever decide to drop the pan, you’ll see all the metal shavings there, on the magnetic disk attached to the inside of the pan. See these photos from post #238 by rj_make:

View attachment 318359

View attachment 318360
Ok, wasn't sure. I plan to do another fluid swap later in this year then next year will be the trans filter. The rear diff plug was clean also.

Last edited:

Ok, wasn't sure. I plan to do another fluid swap later in this year then next year will be the trans filter. The rear diff plug was clean also.
The drain plugs on oil pan and ATF pan have the same part number. This’s from older Allen / hex socket oil drain plug. The black tip is only the paint, not the magnet.

48B95136-B453-47EA-87B7-40642F8108C9.jpeg

Here's the OEM CX-5 Allen plug on the left with an unused washer in front and the replacement 19mm hex plug on the right and it's used washer. ⋯

Lastly, NO the OEM is NOT magnetic.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

For the Transmission Drain & Fill, does the filter need to be replaced also? My 2016 CX-5 Sport is at 75k now. I plan to take it to my mechanic to get this service.

For the Transmission Drain & Fill, does the filter need to be replaced also? My 2016 CX-5 Sport is at 75k now. I plan to take it to my mechanic to get this service.
A simple drain and fill, no. But once you get about 50-60k, dropping the pan and replacing the filter is a good practice.

Just be sure to NOT NOT NOT do a flush!!!

Also, ONLY use Mazda OEM fluid! Just like Honda, Mazda transmissions have their own ATF formulas. Depending on the model, this will either be Type M5 or Type FZ. Cheaping out by $2/quart for generic ATF on a $3,000 transmission is a false economy.

A simple drain and fill, no. But once you get about 50-60k, dropping the pan and replacing the filter is a good practice.

Also, ONLY use Mazda OEM fluid! Just like Honda, Mazda transmissions have their own ATF formulas. Depending on the model, this will either be Type M5 or Type FZ. Cheaping out by $2/quart for generic ATF on a $3,000 transmission is a false economy.
Aisin Type FZ price has gone from $8 a quart last year to over $10 this year at RockAuto. I used that last year as it’s specifically FZ fluid from Aisin (transmission manufacturer) and the savings added up over 12 or 13 quarts (3x drain and fill), but the price difference between that and OEM isn’t as good as it once was. I’d opt for OEM at todays prices. It’s a hair over $12 a quart from online Mazda part dealers. I completely agree as well: I’d never put something like a one size fits all fluid in the SkyActiv transmission. Has to be FZ.

Last edited:

What is the reason for this?

I'm coming up on 130k (previous 1x drain and refill at 75k) and planning to do a 2x drain and refill and filter change on the the second drain and refill. I'm curious why you say not to - I'm struggling to imagine the harm in doing a flush with the filter change.

Back