Guide ATF Drain/Fill

I’ll have to double check when I get home. I remember something being made in China but I can’t remember if it was the RTV or the transmission filter tbh.

I’ll have to double check when I get home. I remember something being made in China but I can’t remember if it was the RTV or the transmission filter tbh.
Darn, no hint on the tube. It just says distributed by Mazda USA Irvine CA. Already threw out the packaging.

Hi everyone, I just read through this entire thread. I have FWD and I assume many on here have AWD. When draining the Trans fluid, is there a difference of amounts that drained out between FWD and AWD?

Hi everyone, I just read through this entire thread. I have FWD and I assume many on here have AWD. When draining the Trans fluid, is there a difference of amounts that drained out between FWD and AWD?
I have FWD myself. There shouldn’t be a difference in the ATF capacity and the amount drained out. However, the AWD will have a separate transfer case up front and a rear differential. Those can be serviced separately and use gear oil instead of transmission fluid.

I have FWD myself. There shouldn’t be a difference in the ATF capacity and the amount drained out. However, the AWD will have a separate transfer case up front and a rear differential. Those can be serviced separately and use gear oil instead of transmission fluid.
So about 8qts should be enough for 2 changes?

Rock Auto sells the transmission filter from Back/Arnley and Vaico. Supposedly both good brands with Vaico/Vierol being a German company.

Anyone use those brand trans filters?

Rock Auto sells the transmission filter from Back/Arnley and Vaico. Supposedly both good brands with Vaico/Vierol being a German company.

Anyone use those brand trans filters?
I used OEM, but I’m fairly certain others have used Wix. I’ll interested to see if others chime in!

I believe the Wix filter is WL10379 but I’d double check your vehicle in the part lookup on their website. The only reason I mention it is because it should come with a transmission pan gasket. I’m not sure if the brands you mentioned do. I used Mazda OEM silicon gasket maker and didn’t have any issues. Getting the old sealant off the pan and the transmission housing was much harder than applying a new liquid silicone gasket imo. If you prefer a pre-made gasket and aftermarket filter, Wix might be a good option for you.

I did an easy drain and fill this morning. I feel confident accurate fill at temp was done last time.

Vehicle was in cold garage overnight with new fluid right beside it.

Front was on ramps and 3 quarts 17 ounces out.

I've said this before but if you are just doing a simple drain and fill no need to remove the airbox if you are comfortable with your front wheels on Rhino ramps.

Long extension to get the 10mm bolt out of dipstick and long funnel that literally sits next to airbox with tube in the AT Fill.

About 25k miles since last of the series of 3 drain and fills I did in June 2019.

If there was anything on the magnet it was basically trace level not seen by the human eye.

I did an easy drain and fill this morning. I feel confident accurate fill at temp was done last time.

Vehicle was in cold garage overnight with new fluid right beside it.

Front was on ramps and 3 quarts 17 ounces out.

I've said this before but if you are just doing a simple drain and fill no need to remove the airbox if you are comfortable with your front wheels on Rhino ramps.

Long extension to get the 10mm bolt out of dipstick and long funnel that literally sits next to airbox with tube in the AT Fill.

About 25k miles since last of the series of 3 drain and fills I did in June 2019.

If there was anything on the magnet it was basically trace level not seen by the human eye.
Thanks for the write-up. It does give me plenty of useful info to do the ATF drain-and-fill coming up for my CX-5.

I did a drain/fill back during the fall and I got a slight bit over 4 quarts out. I'm glad it wasn't much more as all my previous drains were more like a bit over 3 1/2 quarts, so I had only bought 4 quarts.

I likewise didn't see much of anything on the magnet since my last series of 3 drain and fills a few years back.

I calibrated the fill level last time, so likewise was confident in replacing simply what was removed. That said, probably missing an ounce or two, but nothing big. It still measured within the proper square on the dipstick when it was up to temp.

Anyway, I am just about to 123k miles on my 2014.

I did a drain/fill back during the fall and I got a slight bit over 4 quarts out. I'm glad it wasn't much more as all my previous drains were more like a bit over 3 1/2 quarts, so I had only bought 4 quarts.

I likewise didn't see much of anything on the magnet since my last series of 3 drain and fills a few years back.

I calibrated the fill level last time, so likewise was confident in replacing simply what was removed. That said, probably missing an ounce or two, but nothing big. It still measured within the proper square on the dipstick when it was up to temp.

Anyway, I am just about to 123k miles on my 2014.
So you got a little over 4 quarts out because you dropped the pan as opposed to 3-1/2+ for just a drain. Correct? You are referring to the pan magnet and not a drain plug magnet, right?

So you got a little over 4 quarts out because you dropped the pan as opposed to 3-1/2+ for just a drain. Correct? You are referring to the pan magnet and not a drain plug magnet, right?
I didn't drop the pan. Got out a bit over 4 quarts on this drain vs my last set of drains. Talking about the magnet on the drain plug.

I didn't drop the pan. Got out a bit over 4 quarts on this drain vs my last set of drains. Talking about the magnet on the drain plug.
Thanks for the clarification. But I do have to ask why over 4 qts this time. Did you have it jacked up at a steeper angle. I ask this because if it can vary that much, then I want to avoid any surprises (and it sounds like you were surprised) and have enough fluid when I do my next drain and fill. Just wonderin'.

Thanks for the clarification. But I do have to ask why over 4 qts this time. Did you have it jacked up at a steeper angle. I ask this because if it can vary that much, then I want to avoid any surprises (and it sounds like you were surprised) and have enough fluid when I do my next drain and fill. Just wonderin'.
Same Rhino ramps I always use. I can't explain why the difference, but the service manual does say there is a range of fluid that can drain, I forget off the top of my head what that range was, but was probably between 3 and 5 quarts possible. Probably depends on how much of it makes it back into the pan vs what's still in the torque converter at time of draining.

Same Rhino ramps I always use. I can't explain why the difference, but the service manual does say there is a range of fluid that can drain, I forget off the top of my head what that range was, but was probably between 3 and 5 quarts possible. Probably depends on how much of it makes it back into the pan vs what's still in the torque converter at time of draining.
Gotcha, thanks.

I don't remember seeing a magnet on the trans fill stick (2017 CX5)??? I dropped the pan at ~34K and WOW.... This was on 03/27/2021 (getting ready to do it again in ~5K (65K)

20210327_100326_HDR.jpg

20210327_100312_HDR.jpg

20210327_093552_HDR.jpg

20210327_150125.jpg

Back