225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I've been pretty lucky. I'm at around 30k on the OEM Toyos and it is time to replace them. Going through this thread, I get the feeling the General Altimax RT43 is an above average tire and a good value. Anybody with significant mileage on those tires able to chime in on their experiences?
Thanks!
My OE Toyo A23 tires are at 31K miles and they still have 4/32" tread left. My 1998 Honda CR-V has General AltiMAX RT43 for about 22k miles and they still have 8/32" ~ 7/32" tread left. Nothing has changed on ride, noise, and performance.

I am replacing the stock Toyo A23 this month when I change from winter tires. Got 45,949km out of the Toyo's.

In Canada, of course the prices are much more - here's what I've found for replacement for 19" 2015 tires for those looking (these are H and V rated), Costco only offer 1 V rated tire in Canada. Price is all in (tax, install, disposal, rebates).

Michelin LTX Costco 1238.93
General Tire - Altimax RT43 OK Tire 1151.84
Pirelli Cinturato Mazda 1116.90
Bridgestone Ecopia Mazda 1007.96

I was originally going to do the Michelin but too expensive, but am now thinking Pirelli or General Tire.

Went to my Discount Tire Store yesterday checking out the price and availability on new 225/55R19 tires again. The rep measured tread depth of my CX-5 and verified all 4 are having 4/32" left and wearing evenly on middle and side tread. My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD now has 33,220 miles on OE Toyo A23's. This proved keeping tire pressure at least 3 psi higher than factory recommended 36 psi at 39~40 psi is the right decision on tire wear, although I personally don't like the firm sometimes harsh ride due to higher tire pressure with these A23's.

Thanks to nice find and 8,000-mile mostly winter road condition ride experience by Badgerbass on Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire, I asked the rep if DT can get this tire even though I'd asked the same question before to a different rep and he said they can't. But this time he made some extra effort and found the source which DT can order Radar tires from, Omnisource. By going through Discount Tire ordering this tire, I can enjoy lifetime tire rotation、balancing、and puncture repair nation-wide, not to mention DT usually can match online price. Currently this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire sells for $84.44 each with free shipping at WalMart.com, which is less than half of the prices from most other tires with same size!

Another tire option for 19" wheels

Update on my previous post...about 8,000 miles since tire install. Tires wearing even with no vibration and minimal road noise. Installed in October and went through a terrible Wisconsin winter with lots of snow, sleet and rain and performed well. I can honestly say they were a great purchase!

attachment.php

IMG_0501.PNG

In my previous CX5 my oem Toyos wore out way to quickly, as others have said. After some research I was told that Mazda has the original Toyo's made specifically to their specs for the CX5.....that is to have low N,V &H as well as to really grip the road. No wonder it handles so well!! In addition the tread depth is slightly less than the same tire you would buy from a TOYO dealer. The trade off is really short tread life.

In looking for a replacement I had considered some of the same brands as others on this thread....Michelin, Pirelli, Continental. NOW, Mazda recommends a V rated tire(at least for the GT) and if you read the paper sticker on some Pirelli's it says that if you install a tire with a speed rating lower than that recommended by the car manufacturer Pirelli will not honor the tire warranty. For that reason I opted out of the Pirelli's. In the end after a lot of research I went with the Michelin Premier LTX which I really loved and had great success with over the remaining 2 years I had my 2014 CX5. BUT, now I'm back to Toyo's again as I traded up to a 2108 CX5 in January. A small consolation, but at least I know I'll have a great ride for the next 2-3 years on my new Toyo's until they prematurely wear out as expected!! After that....I'll take another look at the Michelin Premier LTX, although my connection at COSTCO says that he has a better/newer Michelin tire in mind for me. Can't remember the model but I'll report back with some info.

If you guys would consider 245/50/19 tires, which are only 0.3% smaller than the stock 225/55/19 tires, your tire options will open up.

I am replacing the stock Toyo A23 this month when I change from winter tires. Got 45,949km out of the Toyo's.

In Canada, of course the prices are much more - here's what I've found for replacement for 19" 2015 tires for those looking (these are H and V rated), Costco only offer 1 V rated tire in Canada. Price is all in (tax, install, disposal, rebates).

Michelin LTX Costco 1238.93
General Tire - Altimax RT43 OK Tire 1151.84
Pirelli Cinturato Mazda 1116.90
Bridgestone Ecopia Mazda 1007.96

I was originally going to do the Michelin but too expensive, but am now thinking Pirelli or General Tire.
The Pirellis are $193.50 each with free shipping from Tirerack.
I am now a huge fan of Pirellis. They tend to be among the quietest tires, yet perform very well on dry and wet roads.

The Pirellis are $193.50 each with free shipping from Tirerack.
I am now a huge fan of Pirellis. They tend to be among the quietest tires, yet perform very well on dry and wet roads.

When I was looking for a replacement for my worn out Toyo's the Pirelli's were one model I was considering until I saw that it was an H rated tire. As I mentioned in a post above, Pirelli suggests on the sticker on the tread that if you install a Pirelli tire with a speed rating lower than that specified by the manufacturer(my GT calls for a V rated tire) then they will not honor the warranty. Now maybe your tire dealer will, BUT is that for all types of warranty issues?? Now, I agree that an H rated tire will handle speeds that I might never get up to...pedal to the metal,down hill, with a tail wind...BUT, I didn't want to risk a warranty issue, so in the end I went with the V rated Michelin Premier LTX.

If you guys would consider 245/50/19 tires, which are only 0.3% smaller than the stock 225/55/19 tires, your tire options will open up.

I don't feel like buying new rims, nor do I feel like doing something as classless and dangerous as cramming a 245 onto the stock rim.

I don't feel like buying new rims, nor do I feel like doing something as classless and dangerous as cramming a 245 onto the stock rim.

You don't need to buy new rims for 245/50/19 as they will fit. @finch204 have had he's on for more then a year now without any issues.
That is the same reason i am going to go 245/50/19 on my stock 19" rim on my Akera (GT) in the States.
Remember you must use ultra high performance tyres for this as the sidewalls are very strong.

You don't need to buy new rims for 245/50/19 as they will fit. @finch204 have had he's on for more then a year now without any issues.
That is the same reason i am going to go 245/50/19 on my stock 19" rim on my Akera (GT) in the States.
Remember you must use ultra high performance tyres for this as the sidewalls are very strong.

I dunno...I read it CAN be done...but should it? This mentality caused me issues as a teen.

Also, that's like adding 5#+ PER corner in rotational mass.

Last edited:
I dunno...I read it CAN be done...but should it? This mentality caused me issues as a teen.

Also, that's like adding 5#+ PER corner in rotational mass.
Tyre manufacturers have indicated that a 245x50x19 tyre can fit on a 7J rim.

Someone else have used it without any problems. He can give some feedback on it if you really unsure.

LOL. There's nothing classless about fitting a tire to the stock GT 7 inch rim, that the tire manufacturer says will fit on a 7 inch wide rim. Show me a corner that you can take faster in your CX-5, while not risking your driver's license and I will concede that what I did was "classless".

I have driven my CX-5 on the curvy 161 / I-20 interchange ramps (check google maps) at high enough speeds to test the tires and I can tell you cornering is not an issue with 245 width tires on the stock GT rims. It is especially interesting to see sedans who tailgate me then drop off as soon we start cornering on those said curvy ramps.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is I've tried the setup and it works. I've asked Tire Rack prior to buying the tires and their customer rep said it will work with the stock GT rims. The tires are only 0.3% smaller in diameter than the stock sized GT 225 width tires. The tire manufacturer themselves specified a rim-width range of 7" to 8.5". Continental says this tire weighs, 26.6 lbs, Tire Rack says it weighs 27 lbs. It is just as heavy, if not lighter than a 225/55/19 Michelin Premier LTX tire.

(https://www.continentaltire.com/product/extremecontact-dws06-24550zr19-105y/?)

------
Sorry yrwei52 didn't mean to derail your thread that is specifically on 225 width tire selections. I'll stop here.

Last edited:
LOL. There's nothing classless about fitting a tire to the stock GT 7 inch rim, that the tire manufacturer says will fit on a 7 inch wide rim. Show me a corner that you can take faster in your CX-5, while not risking your driver's license and I will concede that what I did was "classless".

I have driven my CX-5 on the curvy 161 / I-20 interchange ramps (check google maps) at high enough speeds to test the tires and I can tell you cornering is not an issue with 245 width tires on the stock GT rims. It is especially interesting to see sedans who tailgate me then drop off as soon we start cornering on those said curvy ramps.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is I've tried the setup and it works. I've asked Tire Rack prior to buying the tires and their customer rep said it will work with the stock GT rims. The tires are only 0.3% smaller in diameter than the stock sized GT 225 width tires. The tire manufacturer themselves specified a rim-width range of 7" to 8.5". Continental says this tire weighs, 26.6 lbs, Tire Rack says it weighs 27 lbs. It is just as heavy, if not lighter than a 225/55/19 Michelin Premier LTX tire.

(https://www.continentaltire.com/product/extremecontact-dws06-24550zr19-105y/?)

------
Sorry yrwei52 didn't mean to derail your thread that is specifically on 225 width tire selections. I'll stop here.

Interesting. I always viewed it as a safety issue with regard to the tire rolling off of the rim if you ever slid the vehicle/got in an accident, and this resulting in a roll-over (rim digging into pavement/shoulder of the road vs. rubber sliding), not that it would just fly off on your daily drive.

I won't lie though, you make a compelling argument, and you can always say "They said it was safe..." which I HIGHLY doubt they would, if it were not, in today's litigous society.

I was comparing the Michelin PS3's or whatever t hey were. The tire you linked does interest me, and brings up the question...why not? I might do this.

Main negative I'm seeing is that people are complaining that after they are worn some, they are ridiculously loud.

Last edited:
Interesting. I always viewed it as a safety issue with regard to the tire rolling off of the rim if you ever slid the vehicle/got in an accident, and this resulting in a roll-over (rim digging into pavement/shoulder of the road vs. rubber sliding), not that it would just fly off on your daily drive.

I won't lie though, you make a compelling argument, and you can always say "They said it was safe..." which I HIGHLY doubt they would, if it were not, in today's litigous society.

I was comparing the Michelin PS3's or whatever t hey were. The tire you linked does interest me, and brings up the question...why not? I might do this.

Main negative I'm seeing is that people are complaining that after they are worn some, they are ridiculously loud.
I'm changing my tyres when it's time. Glad you entertaining the idea though.

When I was looking for a replacement for my worn out Toyo's the Pirelli's were one model I was considering until I saw that it was an H rated tire. As I mentioned in a post above, Pirelli suggests on the sticker on the tread that if you install a Pirelli tire with a speed rating lower than that specified by the manufacturer(my GT calls for a V rated tire) then they will not honor the warranty. Now maybe your tire dealer will, BUT is that for all types of warranty issues?? Now, I agree that an H rated tire will handle speeds that I might never get up to...pedal to the metal,down hill, with a tail wind...BUT, I didn't want to risk a warranty issue, so in the end I went with the V rated Michelin Premier LTX.

I fully understand your reasoning. My tires have a W speed rating, I believe, which is the same as the rating of the OEM tires. Sometimes a tire manufacturer will offer two speed ratings. Michelins are almost always a good choice.

That is complete nonsense. What IS dangerous is people stretching a 205 tire onto a 10-inch wide rim. But since tire manufacturers specifically state that a 245 fits a 7-inch rim width, there really is nothing wrong with doing so.

I've been pretty lucky. I'm at around 30k on the OEM Toyos and it is time to replace them. Going through this thread, I get the feeling the General Altimax RT43 is an above average tire and a good value. Anybody with significant mileage on those tires able to chime in on their experiences?
Thanks!

Hi fbwazoomzoom , I guess I really got lucky with my Toyo A24 255/55/r19 tires, as I have 45,000 mile with thread depths at 3/32 and one at 4/32. And I only kept the air pressure at 35 psi. Now it's time for some new ones and the reason I ended up in this thread.

The General AltiMAx RT43 which everyone seems to like is $156 at Walmart plus $50 rebate from manufacture = $144.50. Which is a lot higher then what has been posted last year when this thread started.

My dealer pushing the Yokohama Geolandar G055. I can get the them from Walmart for $156. But that tire seems to be on the bottom of the list so I not sure I would want them. Haven't seen must talk about them. And I think they may also have a $50 rebate so same price. Any thought on these tires?

Then there is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus which seems to also be popular which are at Sams for $188 - $20/tire rebate = $168. So they are only a little less than a $100 more for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus and some folks seems to like them better than the General RT43.

It appears as if the price of tire went up since the start of this thread in 2018, some people got some pretty good deals last year at Discount Tires, none around my area and even their prices seems to be up. My tire lasted longer but prices went up, did I save or not? Haha

Any thought on the Geolandars? Or should I just eliminate them from consideration and try to decide if the P7s are worth $100 more than than RT43s?

Thanks

What is the largest tire that can be mounted on the Stock (OEM) 19" wheel? Basically, I want largest rubber tires I can get, without paying for // changing the Mazda rims. (2016 Grand Touring FWD)

What is the largest tire that can be mounted on the Stock (OEM) 19" wheel? Basically, I want largest rubber tires I can get, without paying for // changing the Mazda rims. (2016 Grand Touring FWD)
You can go for 245x50x19 as some has tested without problems. 255x55x19 is untested and I'm not sure any 255 tyre can fit. Speedometer reading will also be out much more than the 245.

You can go for 245x50x19 as some has tested without problems. 255x55x19 is untested and I'm not sure any 255 tyre can fit. Speedometer reading will also be out much more than the 245.

Great. thanks! What about a 245x55x19? (wow) ....

Back