225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

yrwei52, you have 19", right? You running 38 or 39? Was wondering if 1lb makes any difference. Been running mine at 38 since install.

Got my General rebate Visa recently.

Last edited:
yrwei52, you have 19", right? You running 38 or 39? Was wondering if 1lb makes any difference. Been running mine at 38 since install.

Got my General rebate Visa recently.
Yes I have 19. Im usually running 39 psi and the tread wear is even at 30K miles. Its hard to tell the 1 psi difference, or even 5, while driving for me as I drive like a grandma. All I want is even wear and trying to extend the service life longer on tires. I keep the tire pressure high is because from my past experience factory recommended pressure, especially the one-pressure-fit-all US recommendation, is always at the low side. The result is the tire is wearing outer tread faster than the center - a bit under-inflated.

The gift card arrives just in time for your early Thanksgiving shopping! :)

Anyone noticed if your CX-5 rolls differently with these General tires? Seems like the factory tires had more roll and I find myself applying the gas more than previous (flat or down hill).

Anyone noticed if your CX-5 rolls differently with these General tires? Seems like the factory tires had more roll and I find myself applying the gas more than previous (flat or down hill).
My experience of rolling resistance on General AltiMAX RT43 installed on my 1998 Honda CR-V is a little better than previous Yokohama tires but not great. RT43 is not low rolling resistant tire so as the OEM Toyo A23/A36. But I can feel my CX-5 with A23 has more roll than my CR-V but it could be caused by too many factors including SkyActiv-G engine with Atkinson cycle.

I've seen some reported worse gas mileage on new Michelin Premier LTX tires than OEM A23 tires. Some says it's because the tires are new with more friction hence lower MPG.

What is your setup on tire pressure, and how many miles on your RT43 so far? And have you noticed any MPG difference?

What is your setup on tire pressure, and how many miles on your RT43 so far? And have you noticed any MPG difference?

I'm coming up on 6,000 miles. Think I'm around ~5400. I've been running them at 38 PSI. Tried 39 PSI but they seemed stiffer but with low profile tires it's harder to tell as the ride is stiffer. But the larger 19" roll over bumps better. As for MPG I seem to be on par to a little better than where I was with the OEM Toyos. But I'm doing better than average based on what I've read here. Warmer weather I can get 29 MPG and a couple of tanks or so at 30 MPG. Colder, no doubt, is different but I seem to be doing around 26/27. I don't have a heavy foot but the MPG Per Drive does influence my driving habits. But once in a while it's nice to get out some where and open it up.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 AWD GT that has about 28,000miles. Im considering replacing the original toyo tires and purchasing the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife - 225/55R19 99V Tire. Anyone have any experience with this tire? Is it noisy?

I have a 2016 AWD GT that has about 28,000miles. Im considering replacing the original toyo tires and purchasing the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife - 225/55R19 99V Tire. Anyone have any experience with this tire? Is it noisy?
Goodyear Assurance MaxLife 225/55R19 98V is a new tire and you won't get any resonses easily. But here's the comparison test from Tire Rack and it's not the best among 3:

Comparing the Newest Long-Wearing Standard Touring All-Season Tires

Goodyear Assurance MaxLife (Standard Touring All-Season 225/50R17 94V)
What We Liked: It's reasonably comfortable and composed in real-world driving.
What We'd Improve: We would like some added steering feel and additional wet grip.
Conclusion: Doesn't stand out in this crowd.

I got 65,000 out of my last set of Continental Tru contact tires. They were the 225/55/19 size. When I replaced them a week ago they had between 3 and 2/32nd's left so they were pretty much worn out. They did wear evenly and all tires had the same wear. I did notice the ride was stiffer when they were at the end of their lives. I went ahead and bought another set as the ride is good as well as the grip in dry and rainy conditions. We have no snow in Houston. Overall, I was very happy with them.

Yeah, I am looking at continental tires now. Were they noisy?
If you want quieter tires, those top-rated Grand Touring and Touring tires by Tire Rack should be your candidate.

In Grand Touring all-season tires, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is #1 out of 43, and General AltiMAX RT43 is #3 out of 43.

In Standard Touring all-season tires, Continental TrueContact is #1 out of 19.

Newer Continental TrueContact Touring replacing TrueContact should perform similar.

General AltiMAX RT43 is similar to Continental TrueContact on specs as they come from sister companies.

The most cost-effective 225/55R19 tire, Radar Dimax AS-8 is about $90 each with 600 A A UTQG and it's 103V rated. The reviews all seem to be excellent.

Michelin vs Goodyear

Ive narrowed it down to 2. I decided against the continental due to the H speed rating. I prefer to stay with the V rated. The two Ive narrowed it down to are still the Goodyear MaxLife and Michelin premiere LTX. I know Michelin is an excellent brand that speaks for itself-but Ive read nothing but negative reviews about the short tread life. Thats making me hesitant about Michelin and lean towards the Goodyear MaxLife due to the positive reviews (based on different sized tires). Anyone have any personal experience with either tire? I dont squeal tires which shorten tread life. Im not an overly aggressive excelerator driver, but I am a speeder on highways (especially in the morning when late for work ) 😜.

If you want quieter tires, those top-rated Grand Touring and Touring tires by Tire Rack should be your candidate.

In Grand Touring all-season tires, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is #1 out of 43, and General AltiMAX RT43 is #3 out of 43.

In Standard Touring all-season tires, Continental TrueContact is #1 out of 19.

Newer Continental TrueContact Touring replacing TrueContact should perform similar.

General AltiMAX RT43 is similar to Continental TrueContact on specs as they come from sister companies.

The most cost-effective 225/55R19 tire, Radar Dimax AS-8 is about $90 each with 600 A A UTQG and it's 103V rated. The reviews all seem to be excellent.

I prefer to stay with the V rated.
The top speed on Mazda CX-5 is limited to 120 mph. The speed rating on H-rated tire is 130 mph which is well within the safety limit. Mazda also uses H-rated tires, 225/65R17 100H, from factory on CX-5 Sport and Touring. You don't have to insist V-rated tires on CX-5.

I always read to stay with the original tire ratings. A higher speed rating should give u better control and handling at higher speeds but will also handle better at slower speeds. Everything Ive ever read says going with a different speed rated tire can affect the responsiveness and handling.

I always read to stay with the original tire ratings. A higher speed rating should give u better control and handling at higher speeds but will also handle better at slower speeds. Everything I*ve ever read says going with a different speed rated tire can affect the responsiveness and handling.

Looks like you've got a VERY limited tire selection for the GTR and Sg, then. Like 6 tires. Lol!

I've been pretty lucky. I'm at around 30k on the OEM Toyos and it is time to replace them. Going through this thread, I get the feeling the General Altimax RT43 is an above average tire and a good value. Anybody with significant mileage on those tires able to chime in on their experiences?
Thanks!

I always read to stay with the original tire ratings. A higher speed rating should give u better control and handling at higher speeds but will also handle better at slower speeds. Everything Ive ever read says going with a different speed rated tire can affect the responsiveness and handling.
The original tire speed rating on CX-5 Sport and Touring is H rated 17" tires. Higher speed rating tires are not necessary giving you better control and handling at higher speeds and / or slower speeds. It's all depends on the tire design itself. Speed ratings are just a safety rating, which has nothing to do with the performance. The performance from our OE Toyo A23 / A36 tire is not that good, although it's V rated. Besides, the top speed on CX-5 is 120 mph, 130 mph H rated tires have plenty of safety margin for it, and Mazda also uses it accordingly.

Back