225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Yeah that's a good point.

Overall they are ok. I was on a road yesterday though and they felt a little jerky aide to side. One of those grooved roads. Not sure if the tread pattern doesn't play nice with them, or if I just need to get something checked.

That can be a drag. Not a fan. I've seen that happen before on the concrete roads. Not seeing it now with the A23s tho'.

That can be a drag. Not a fan. I've seen that happen before on the concrete roads. Not seeing it now with the A23s tho'.
Yeah took me by surprise. Was not too happy as it was very pronounced on the RT43s. Very jerky side to side movement.

Yeah took me by surprise. Was not too happy as it was very pronounced on the RT43s. Very jerky side to side movement.

Wondering if it's the new rubber and if it will ease up with some mileage. I'm seeing people comment a lot on break in periods and how things change. IE: not as sticky..etc.

Makes sense. The current A23s seem to do okay with curbs and rims so I wonder how these would fare as they don't have the Rim Protect on the 19" RT43s. I like to park closer to curbs to pull away from others to avoid door dings. Plus, out front of my place, when I don't park in the garage, the curb/sidewalk is quite curved and it's easy to bump up against.
Since our OE 19" rims are narrow, 225/55R19 tire is wider to protect the rim rubbing against the curb evidenced by our OE Toyo A23 which doesn't have the "rim protect" lip either. "Rim protect" lip on tires is not important to our OE 19" wheel / tire setup.

Well, I just purchased four of the Altimax RT43s. I also had the guy check the tread depth again out of curiosity. Three of the tires are now showing at 3/32s and one is at 4/32s ( this guy seemed a little more careful on his measurements and was doing inner, middle and outer where I don't think the other guy did). I think the fact that these are 19in as well will perform more for what I'm looking at (as it was previously mentioned - yrwei52). Just inside of $615 total at DT. With the General rebate it'll drop to $565 total.

For anybody seeing this for the first time I have a Toyo credit at $61 per tire. On the OEM tires.

Well, I just purchased four of the Altimax RT43s. I also had the guy check the tread depth again out of curiosity. Three of the tires are now showing at 3/32s and one is at 4/32s ( this guy seemed a little more careful on his measurements and was doing inner, middle and outer where I don't think the other guy did). I think the fact that these are 19in as well will perform more for what I'm looking at (as it was previously mentioned - yrwei52). Just inside of $615 total at DT. With the General rebate it'll drop to $565 total.

For anybody seeing this for the first time I have a Toyo credit at $61 per tire. On the OEM tires.
Put a couple more PSI in them then DT fills em up with. They will feel like bouncy balloons otherwise.

At least my 17" ones did. Much better with a couple more PSI.

I thought you'd go for Michelin Premier LTX ⋯ :)

What is your initial feeling on your new General's? Don't forget new tires need break-in period for the first 500 ~ 600 miles.

My Toyo A23's are also down to 4/32" at 28,000 miles. I may have to get a new set of tires before the winter comes. I'll wait for the next round of rebate on General AltiMAX RT43 and get a new set.

Like ColoradoDriver said, add a couple of more psi than factory recommended tire pressure to your new RT43's - 38 psi ~ 39 psi.

Put a couple more PSI in them then DT fills em up with. They will feel like bouncy balloons otherwise.

At least my 17" ones did. Much better with a couple more PSI.

Was thinking about that as I knew you had. Will be interesting to see what PSI they put in on these 19". I remember finding 34 PSI in these Toyos I currently have but bumped them to 36 and like it better.

I thought you'd go for Michelin Premier LTX * :)

What is your initial feeling on your new General's? Don't forget new tires need break-in period for the first 500 ~ 600 miles.

My Toyo A23's are also down to 4/32" at 28,000 miles. I may have to get a new set of tires before the winter comes. I'll wait for the next round of rebate on General AltiMAX* RT43 and get a new set.

Like ColoradoDriver said, add a couple of more psi than factory recommended tire pressure to your new RT43's - 38 psi ~ 39 psi.

The Premier LTXs - yep, I was seriously considering it and right up to the last moment. I've leaned more Michelin over the years myself and given a good price I could get them at. What it broke down to is me remembering I have a 39 month lease. 10/31 will be two years. So one of the influences was value and these fit that bill (assuming DT would have matched 1010tire.com for the Premiers is why I considered them - otherwise not so sure). A lot of other sites selling the Altimax had really good reviews. Often 4.5 stars and with more reviews than at TireRack on these tires. I did get hung up on 8.5/32s tread with the Premiers. They may do better if riding them down to 2/32s but even at 4/32s I think you're pushing it in the winter.

I'll probably head up the canyon for a spin to see how these RT43s feel. Install might happen later today or likely tomorrow.

And by the way, thanks for all the feedback from everyone! This is a good place.

Last edited:
Yeah I figured you'd go for the Michelins too, but honestly, completely agree with your thoughts on the 8.5/32nd tread new. While they get good reviews, their longevity does not seem to rate as well from what I've seen.

Well let us know what you think. Like I said, I mostly like the RT43's, but there have been a couple of instances where I did not. I hope they serve you well :)

Was thinking about that as I knew you had. Will be interesting to see what PSI they put in on these 19". I remember finding 34 PSI in these Toyos I currently have but bumped them to 36 and like it better.
Mazda recommends 36 psi on 2016 CX-5 GT 19" tires, not 34 psi and that's for 17" tires.

Try 38 ~ 39'psi at first and release some air if you feel the ride is too firm. Also remember to break in your new tires. You should avoid hard stops, full-throttle starts, hard cornering for the first 600 miles. :)

LOL.. I know. That price for a set of those tires with free s/h makes no sense. Makes me think it's some sort of bait.

Tires went on yesterday afternoon. About a two hour wait (based on told 40 minutes). Not the first time though. Got busy at the end of the day.

Went out for a quick drive after. TPS monitor went off so I tweaked with a small portable pump and reset the TPS system. Went back this morning to be sure they were all set to 38 with DT using their digital pull up air station and then took a drive up a canyon this morning (my Saturday) to check them out. I know they'll feel different after some miles are on them but thought it would fun and maybe helpful to post. There does seem to be a slight growl you can hear like TireRack says. Minor IMO. I often have the windows down and/or the radio going so this will go un-noticeable. The only time I heard this is with all windows and sun roof closed with the radio off. Maybe this will disappear with some mileage on them. Again, not an issue for me.

The ride feels nice. Unfortunately I got behind a pickup with a trailer load behind him on the way up. Was able to do more testing on the way down. No doubt the ride is softer than the Toyo A23s and they do handle (and is quieter over) bumps, cracks...etc. Oddly I thought the A23s were a little more responsive but I think it's due to the fact of all the tread (10/32s) on the Altimax RT43s and the A23s came with something like 6/32s or maybe 8/32s. Thought 6/32s but I could be wrong. But again I've been recently driving on 3/32s with the A23s. It's easy to forget some details over time when comparing. I pushed it coming down the hill on some corners and it felt to me like the tires could handle it. The "splashy" sensation or less spirited feel I think is simply the softer ride and more tread depth. So maybe a little time/mileage will tell for corning and surfing those winding/curvy roads.

I have to say, it would have been interesting to have my own tread depth measure. When you look at 1/32 on a tape measure that's quite small. I wonder if those A23s didn't have more tread. BUT, given that fall/winter isn't too far off and the price I got I was fine to move on.

Will be interesting to see with wet roads and this winter with snow, ice and lots of slush.

By the way I was going to insert an image of the road heading to the canyon. Thought it might be a nice addition but I no longer have my own web site to store images and link to. Is there a work around. I did however attach it. Colorado Driver are you familiar with this area? It's west on C72 coming off of C93.

Attachments

• 20180810_091609.jpg
    20180810_091609.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
Went out for a quick drive after. TPS monitor went off so I tweaked with a small portable pump and reset the TPS system. Went back this morning to be sure they were all set to 38 with DT using their digital pull up air station and then took a drive up a canyon this morning (my Saturday) to check them out. I know they'll feel different after some miles are on them but thought it would fun and maybe helpful to post. There does seem to be a slight growl you can hear like TireRack says. Minor IMO. I often have the windows down and/or the radio going so this will go un-noticeable. The only time I heard this is with all windows and sun roof closed with the radio off. Maybe this will disappear with some mileage on them. Again, not an issue for me.

The ride feels nice. Unfortunately I got behind a pickup with a trailer load behind him on the way up. Was able to do more testing on the way down. No doubt the ride is softer than the Toyo A23s and they do handle (and is quieter over) bumps, cracks...etc. Oddly I thought the A23s were a little more responsive but I think it's due to the fact of all the tread (10/32s) on the Altimax RT43s and the A23s came with something like 6/32s or maybe 8/32s. Thought 6/32s but I could be wrong. But again I've been recently driving on 3/32s with the A23s. It's easy to forget some details over time when comparing. I pushed it coming down the hill on some corners and it felt to me like the tires could handle it. The "splashy" sensation or less spirited feel I think is simply the softer ride and more tread depth. So maybe a little time/mileage will tell for corning and surfing those winding/curvy roads.

I'm not real in-tune with the different road noises from different tires having previously driven Jeeps which meant loud all the time.

Regarding the ride, I agree. The ride feels nice for the most part, but the responsiveness is definitely less than my Michelins (both new and worn).

* No doubt the ride is softer than the Toyo A23s and they do handle (and is quieter over) bumps, cracks...etc. Oddly I thought the A23s were a little more responsive but I think it's due to the fact of all the tread (10/32s) on the Altimax RT43s and the A23s came with something like 6/32s or maybe 8/32s.

attachment.php
Categorized as a grand touring tire instead of SUV touring tire like OE Toyo A23, General AltiMAX* RT43 should feel softer than Toyo A23. I use a tread depth gauge similar to this measuring the tire tread depth:

attachment.php

IMG_0335.PNG

Thanks for initial review on RT43 and sharing the beautiful scenery in Colorado!

Back