Tranny fluid

i just changed with the motocraft fluid. Just on the short test drive i did it was much smoother.

i work at a dealer so i get a slight discount at 15$ a qt

if this is a dumb question i apologize in advance, but the people that switched to the full synthetic motorcraft stuff, did you guys add friction modifier?

A good question really. A lot of these have modifiers in them. This can become a problem from what little i understand. Especially with synchros. Although it is quieter there is more wear for some reason. this is just what i have read and could be off. But definetly worth researching the facts before making any changes!! Use the Forum to bounce ideas but do not consider anything fact. We all have some opinions and some have excellent info, but be sure to do the research on your own. If i recall there are quite a few good places to get hard facts about oils and lubricants.
and to answer your question directly and finally Ha! no i did not add any to the Redline that i use.

I put this Motorcraft stuff in my tranny a few weeks ago and overall, it's the best fluid I've had in the tranny so far compared to stock and Redline MT-90. It's smoooooooth and also got rid of the "wah, wah, wah, wah" gear noise I had when turning the wheel sharp at slow speeds.

if this is a dumb question i apologize in advance, but the people that switched to the full synthetic motorcraft stuff, did you guys add friction modifier?

The Mazda dealership near me added some to my transmission when i went in for a noise not related to the transmission. They thought the sound i was describing was the "wah wah wah wah" noise, which is much less with the motorcraft fluid, but still there.

Hope my tranny doesnt die.

After 15K on my MT-90, I have horrible diff whine at low speed turning under any weather condition. I'm going to try the Ford synth next.

im about to go tomorrow to the ford dealership....is their only one kind that i ask for??? XT-M5-QS synthetic correct? for manual obv...and i need 3 bottles?

Changed out the MT-90 for the Ford juice last weekend. No more whine.

I ordered a few quarts of the motorcraft last night. Here's hoping this stuff works in MSPs too. haha

I put in mobil1 for about for 400 miles and I was having bad diff whine and always grinding 2nd and 3rd cold/warm with jitters in the rest. The following week I put in the motorcraft. Whine remained on tight turns for a while but it's starting to go away a bit. Maybe it was there before but I just never noticed till I went looking for it. I do have 50k miles. Also grinds have subsided. Much smoother shifting. I put in 2.6-2.7 quarts like the manual says but I felt more reassured by topping it off till it came out. I'd rather be at high full than low full.

The best fluid is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid. The part number is XT-M5-QS. Most Ford and L-M dealers have it in stock. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

fyi, I checked with Mazda about using this fluid in the transmission, as I was concerned about violating the warranty. They told me, after they spoke to Mazda, that the dealer cannot use this and they, Mazda, do not condone using it. However, the dealer also told me that if I were to fill it myself, they would have no reason to ask any questions about it........but......it still seems to me that if one were to use this stuff, and then the box went bad while it was still under warranty, then you might be up the creek without a paddle in getting Mazda to fix it. Ya just have to weigh the likelihood of something going wrong.

It probably has been mentioned already, but what is the fluid change schedule for say "towing"?

It probably has been mentioned already, but what is the fluid change schedule for say "towing"?

leagal, would be the severe schedule

common sense?
light load forget it, heavy, soon as your done change it

I have about 40k on the redline MT-90. I think it must be about time.
Do i need to flush it or just drain?

fyi, I checked with Mazda about using this fluid in the transmission, as I was concerned about violating the warranty. They told me, after they spoke to Mazda, that the dealer cannot use this and they, Mazda, do not condone using it. However, the dealer also told me that if I were to fill it myself, they would have no reason to ask any questions about it........but......it still seems to me that if one were to use this stuff, and then the box went bad while it was still under warranty, then you might be up the creek without a paddle in getting Mazda to fix it. Ya just have to weigh the likelihood of something going wrong.

I'd like to know why Mazda claims X5-M5-QS is not acceptable. The Mazda factory manual calls for a 75W-90 GL4 oil- period. Guess what X5-M5-QS is?
Here's a hint.

Back