MS3 snowtire ???

wongpres said:
Hey borderline, can you take some pics of the front wheels with 16-inch steelies?

Not that I don't believe you, but all the info I have says it shouldn't fit.

no problems, I will send pics tomorrow ;)
My local dealer was surprised that it fit!

IMG_0734.jpg

Take a closer look, we see: 205/60R16
IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

yes the 16" fit! (headbang)

I've got 205/55 r16 Toyo Garit HX on mine. I know it's been posted in another thread somewhere but the stock Goodyear RS-A all seasons are absolutely horrible in snow. I'm no expert on winter tires but I do live in Winterpeg and I know what works and what doesn't.

damn thats too close to the break for my comfort with the 16" wheel!! any flex or movent in the wheel during cornering, and/or ice/snow build up, and your caliper is rubbing!

Red02LS1 said:
damn thats too close to the break for my comfort with the 16" wheel!! any flex or movent in the wheel during cornering, and/or ice/snow build up, and your caliper is rubbing!

Yes it's close but the mechanics at the delaer told me there was no problem cause the wheel won't flex enough to touch the caliper. In fact it almost doesn't flex at all.
With my other car (protege5) Winter tire was on 14", it was almost the same "tight fit" and never got problems. I have about 3/16"-1/4" of clearance.
And rubbing with snow won't hurt the caliper.
The only thing is the handling: very reduced with theses 16". I can't drive like before with my factory 18" :(

Tire pressure increase for snows

Just a reminder to all going the snow tire route. Mazda says to increase pressure 4.3 pounds over the normal inflation level they suggest for their OEMs (32 lbs.) when using snow tires. I'm going into my 3rd winter with my 205-55-16 Dunlop Sport M-3 snows and just love them.

Grey Ghost
04 Mazda 3-S

borderline, thanks for the pics. My new recommendation with MS3 on 16's will be that it can fit but wheel dependant and test-fitment required.

Anyone have suggestions on where to get 17" steelies? Tirerack must be out or something and I'm not having any luck finding them. Need steelies with winter tires for the MS3 I got yesterday!

well I was at the dealer the other day and they claim to have found 16" steelies for the MS6 as well. They went through half a dozen types before finding one but they claim to have one.

Oh well, I got my 17's now :(

Newf said:
well I was at the dealer the other day and they claim to have found 16" steelies for the MS6 as well. They went through half a dozen types before finding one but they claim to have one.

Oh well, I got my 17's now :(

When I found out a couple of days ago that they were available for the MS6 I was dissapointed since I already bought 17" snows, but then I thought that it's probably not a good idea to put 16" wheels on the MS6, the car is just too heavy and would handle horribly with them IMO.

ottawaP5 said:
When I found out a couple of days ago that they were available for the MS6 I was dissapointed since I already bought 17" snows, but then I thought that it's probably not a good idea to put 16" wheels on the MS6, the car is just too heavy and would handle horribly with them IMO.

And because you are AWD, I guess 17" is a better choice.

Albert: Did you called your local MAZDA dealer? I purchased my steel wheels there.
Steelies are cheaper at the dealer (at my big surprise)

Great info guys. I was gonna put my 17" steelies with snows from the MS6 on the MS3 (cause its the wifes car and she was at me to get the snows on) and then get a new set of winters for the MS6 later on when I had time. But now that I know that 16" rims will fit on the MS3 (and the MS6....arrggghhh), I will go with the cheaper option of putting the 16" on the MS3 and keeping the 17" for the MS6. Wish I had known this last winter...LOL!

R

ottawaP5 said:
That wheel must be made differently since my 17" steel wheel has the same clearance to the caliper.

Exactly. You got the Fumagalli steel rims from Mony right?

R

I Am Interested In Finding Out About Your Experience In Replacing The Stock Ms3 18 Wheels And Tires With 16 Inch Replacements. I Would Like To Do The Same. How Does The Car Drive? Is It Accelerating And Stopping Quicker With The 16 Inch Ones? How About Handling And Ride Quality? Also, What Did You Do With Your Stock 18 Inch Wheels And Tires?

I Would Like To Sell My Ms3 Stock 18 Inch Wheels And Tires Or Just Make A Trade And Not Have To Put Any More Money Into Trading For 16 Inch Set. I Have Only 200 Miles On My Car.

borderline said:
steel. But with these 16", the handling is a lot reduced of course...
I was bitching about the handling when I went from 17'' to 16'', I can't image how big of a difference u feel.
With the regular Mazda 3 GTs (2.3L), I went from 17'' RS-As, to 16'' Gislaved Nord*Frost5, and the handle was noticable shittier (in the dry).
However, at temperatures below 10 degrees C and in the wet, the Gislaved was gripper. Have to wait for snow to see how big the difference is.
Cornering difference between the 17'' and 16'' is huge. Steelbelted + low pros makes a big difference

Grey Ghost said:
Just a reminder to all going the snow tire route. Mazda says to increase pressure 4.3 pounds over the normal inflation level they suggest for their OEMs (32 lbs.) when using snow tires. I'm going into my 3rd winter with my 205-55-16 Dunlop Sport M-3 snows and just love them.

Grey Ghost
04 Mazda 3-S

what u said is just for MS3?

hankking said:
I Am Interested In Finding Out About Your Experience In Replacing The Stock Ms3 18 Wheels And Tires With 16 Inch Replacements. I Would Like To Do The Same. How Does The Car Drive? Is It Accelerating And Stopping Quicker With The 16 Inch Ones? How About Handling And Ride Quality? Also, What Did You Do With Your Stock 18 Inch Wheels And Tires?

I Would Like To Sell My Ms3 Stock 18 Inch Wheels And Tires Or Just Make A Trade And Not Have To Put Any More Money Into Trading For 16 Inch Set. I Have Only 200 Miles On My Car.

You would like to trade your 18" for 16"? why?
I do this only for winter, in summer my 18" gonna be back!

with 16" on my MS3, Handling And Ride Quality are reduced at about 30-40%
less grip when accelerating and it does not stop quicker cause it's a 205 width compared with our stock 215...
You will regret this dude!!

Back