MS3 snowtire ???

Thanks

I was at the NW Costco and they had some steel 17s for about $69. They didn't have any 215/50/17 tires and would be a special order to get them. I purchased the wheels from Costco and a set of Garit KXs from the dealer. Hopefully these fumagalli wheels will fit. I also saw the same whells at Walmart for around the same price. When I checked the fitment book it also showed that these wheels would fit our 04 Jeep Liberty as well. A little odd considering the difference in offset. We'll see next week when I bring them in to get installed.

SP33D3 said:
They had no wheels left at costco. Had to phone around.
Yes they are 17". Had to pay $95/wheel. Only ones i could find that would fit. Went to fountain on Northland. Pretty helpful in there. Tried to sell me on a high performance tire but i won't be going that fast in snow anyway. If it happens to dry up i'll switch out my tires myself. Only takes 20 minutes.
Don't think i could go without driving it.....

In regard to the TPMS, why is the light not coming on for some folks? Without the sensors, it should be on all the time, right?

Anyway, Tirerack has the factory Mazda sensors in stock now for $122 a wheel....yikes!

Michelin has stopped production on snow tires for the year. If your sitting on the fence, get your snows now while stock is available. I dont work for Michelin but I do shop at Costco and they tried to order X ice for my 3. They sell steel rims that would do the job for the Canadian winter for a reasonable price.

16s are fine. I got mine from TireRack for under $600 for the set (I just got the black steelies.) Also, doesn't matter if you go bigger. Some dude said 17s would make it handle worse. That makes no sense. As long as you have snows on, you will be absolutely fine with traction in winter weather.

Oh, and I skipped the TPMS. Makes no sense to waste that much money on them for snow tires. I'll live with the stupid light on.

Last edited:
For those that are interested, just purchased a set of Dunlop Wintersport M3 in 225x45x18 to go on the OEM rims (got them from Tirerack).

Plan on getting some wider, lighter rims/tires for the summer and will use the OEMs for winter.

I may be the first to put this tire size on the OEM rims, so I will let you know how it works.

WagonMan said:
For those that are interested, just purchased a set of Dunlop Wintersport M3 in 225x45x18 to go on the OEM rims (got them from Tirerack).

Plan on getting some wider, lighter rims/tires for the summer and will use the OEMs for winter.

I may be the first to put this tire size on the OEM rims, so I will let you know how it works.

very interested in doing this same thing, please post feedback when you have it... also, how much did you pay for the set?

jbiird317 said:
very interested in doing this same thing, please post feedback when you have it... also, how much did you pay for the set?

$182 a tire at the tirerack. They shipped today, I will post more info once they are on the car.

borderline - what is the size of the rim ie offset and bolt pattern and all that stuff that a dealer would need for sizing?

And where in Qc are you, i work in St.Jean sur Richileau but live in Ottawa.

assman said:
borderline - what is the size of the rim ie offset and bolt pattern and all that stuff that a dealer would need for sizing?

And where in Qc are you, i work in St.Jean sur Richileau but live in Ottawa.

The dealer should already know that!
rim size: 16"
offset: ??
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3 mm

I live near QC city.

(sorry for the late response, didn't get a notification by email...)

I got a set of 17" Ford Fusion rims for $250 on Ebay than spent $390 for 215x50x17 Kuhmos they are awsome in the snow and handle great on dry pavement. I was gonna get steelies, but for the same $$$ I got some way better rims - that won't rust. You gotta stay with 17" minimum. - this is a sports car, remember. It will handle like crap with 16's.

ms3_fusionwheels.jpg

Last edited:
flyrevs said:
I got a set of 17" Ford Fusion rims for $250 on Ebay than spent $390 for 215x50x17 Kuhmos they are awsome in the snow and handle great on dry pavement. I was gonna get steelies, but for the same $$$ I got some way better rims - that won't rust. You gotta stay with 17" minimum. - this is a sports car, remember. It will handle like crap with 16's.

What type of Kumhos are you running? I had Kumho Izens on my SE-R, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with their performance in snow or ice.

That being said, I got the 205-60-16 Blizzak REVOs for my MS3, and they are not as great as I had hoped either. You are right about the 16 inchers degrading performance significantly.

jheer said:
What type of Kumhos are you running? I had Kumho Izens on my SE-R, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with their performance in snow or ice.

That being said, I got the 205-60-16 Blizzak REVOs for my MS3, and they are not as great as I had hoped either. You are right about the 16 inchers degrading performance significantly.
Running the Kumho ECSTA ASX All Season

jheer said:

Really? I thought the REVO's were supposed to be awesome?

Edit: I read a post about never going faster than the speed rating of the tire. This is true, you will never exceed that speed limit, probably not even when it's not snowing. The point is that a higher speed rated tire provides better handling and traction, so going with a lower speed rated tire is never good. That's why I'm surprised that tire shops are mounting Q rated X-Ices on our cars without saying anything.

Last edited:
Olestra said:
Really? I thought the REVO's were supposed to be awesome?

I think that they are supposed to be awesome on ICE. I have only driven them in light snow and slush. From my limited experience (not much snow this winter), they are not much better than all seasons in snow.

jheer said:
I think that they are supposed to be awesome on ICE. I have only driven them in light snow and slush. From my limited experience (not much snow this winter), they are not much better than all seasons in snow.

That still surprises me. TireRack rates them at #1 in their category (studless winter), with being strong in all types of conditions. As well, the worst snow should be still better than the best all-season (technically)

Olestra said:
That still surprises me. TireRack rates them at #1 in their category (studless winter), with being strong in all types of conditions. As well, the worst snow should be still better than the best all-season (technically)

I was surprised (disappointed), too. I've driven relatively strong front-wheel drive cars in the snow for years so I know how to drive them. Maybe it's the extra gobs of horsepower, but I was spinning my tires at will in just a dusting of snow the other day. I was also skidding to a stop from moving very slowly - even with the anti-lock engaged.

These tires have not inspired confidence in slippery condtions.

I got Kumho KW19's in 17'' and i love them, i would suggest them to anyone. I've had plenty of tires in the past but these are great.

Back