MS3 snowtire ???

BlueMonsta said:
With the regular Mazda 3 GTs (2.3L), I went from 17'' RS-As, to 16'' Gislaved Nord*Frost5, and the handle was noticable shittier (in the dry).

Cornering difference between the 17'' and 16'' is huge. Steelbelted + low pros makes a big difference

Um, all modern radial tires are steel belted.....

If you want a good winter tire that still handles pretty well, try the new Blizzak Revo1. I am using them on my regular 3 (in 205/55/16) and can't believe how well they handle the dry. And they are still the multicell compound so they still stick well in the slippery stuff. Just be carefull, the combination of good handling and multicell compound can lead to very fast tire wear if you forget you are on snows :) ......ask me, I know.

I am also looking to put winter tires and rims on my MS3 and was wondering if someone knew if a Sport Edition E3 16x7 5x114.3 53mm rim would fit. Going with a 16 inch vs 17 inch wheel would be about $500 less expensive. I have seen in previous posts that people are putting 16 inch steelies and was wondering if the specs for them are the same.

coast2coastbill said:
I am also looking to put winter tires and rims on my MS3 and was wondering if someone knew if a Sport Edition E3 16x7 5x114.3 53mm rim would fit. Going with a 16 inch vs 17 inch wheel would be about $500 less expensive. I have seen in previous posts that people are putting 16 inch steelies and was wondering if the specs for them are the same.

I guess it will!

MightyMouse said:
Um, all modern radial tires are steel belted.....

If you want a good winter tire that still handles pretty well, try the new Blizzak Revo1. I am using them on my regular 3 (in 205/55/16) and can't believe how well they handle the dry. And they are still the multicell compound so they still stick well in the slippery stuff. Just be carefull, the combination of good handling and multicell compound can lead to very fast tire wear if you forget you are on snows :) ......ask me, I know.
haha too late i already brought the frost5s =(.
I looked at rev01, out of my student budget. =(

borderline said:
IMG_0734.jpg

Take a closer look, we see: 205/60R16
IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

yes the 16" fit! (headbang)

Borderline can you see the name and model number stamped on the side of the 16" steelies so that we can use this info at local shops?

R

Rainman said:
Borderline can you see the name and model number stamped on the side of the 16" steelies so that we can use this info at local shops?

R

what i see is: J16x6 J DOTTOPY 40 609 06 E 2.8
hope it help, sorry for the delay!

Tirerack has 16" steelies for the MS3 now. You have to call to get the information and order.

I just ordered them at $49 each.

highwaypizza said:
Tirerack has 16" steelies for the MS3 now. You have to call to get the information and order.

I just ordered them at $49 each.

That's awesome. Can you report back on fitment, etc. when you receive them? Thanks.

I called Tirerack on Monday and they didn't have anything at all for the MS3 - this is good news!

I also called Tire Rack last week and they said that the 16" were available, and would fit the MS3 without a problem. They have several 16", 17", and 18" packages listed for the MS3.

In the end I purchased 16" rims and Winterforce M + S tires locally. I was going to go with the 215/55R16, but they sold the last set prior to my arrival and I got the 205/60R16 instead. These are not the exact same OD and are off by 0.3. Not enough to make a big deal about although the 215/55R16 would have been exactly 25.6. I wasn't going to go with these initially, but after checking them out on Tire Rack (they are a Firestone tire and are S-rated with great snow and ice performance), I figured that they were a "no-name" bargain.

First impressions after driving home with them is that the steering response is, as expected, somewhat muted. However, it isn't terrible and certainly better than the Graspic DS-2's.

I hoped to take some pics of the clearance with the calipers (boy is it tight), but my son decided to temporarily "fix" our digital camera so I'll have to wait until it is fixed to provide those.

R

In Canada:
I went to Fountain Tire 2 weeks ago. They hadn't seen a MS3 yet so they wanted to try out sizes in a steel wheel. 17' worked, and 16 had plenty of room.
So i went with a set of 17's and put on a set of Michelin X-Ice 215 50R 17..
Wanted to keep the overall diameter of the set. They work great have had no problems. Goes like a little tank throught the snow. Happy with my choice.

Will post a pic soon of winter shoes..

Attachments

• MS3.jpg
    MS3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 157
SP33D3 said:
In Canada:
I went to Fountain Tire 2 weeks ago. They hadn't seen a MS3 yet so they wanted to try out sizes in a steel wheel. 17' worked, and 16 had plenty of room.
So i went with a set of 17's and put on a set of Michelin X-Ice 215 50R 17..
Wanted to keep the overall diameter of the set. They work great have had no problems. Goes like a little tank throught the snow. Happy with my choice.

Will post a pic soon of winter shoes..

Cool. Looking forward to the photos. How much did the set cost?

TPMS for new winter wheels

jbiird317 said:
are these 16" steelies or an alloy wheel?
what do you do about the TPMS sensors? did you buy new ones for the new wheels? if not does the warning light come on?

borderline said:
no TPMS sensors on the MS3 in canada, do you have this in the US version??

Yep. I have heard elsewhere that the TPMS light on the dash flashes for a second or two when you start the car, and then it just stays on like the headlight indicator. I will soon find out when I put my snow wheels/tires on.

Picked up the tires at Costco. Someone ordered them in but cancelled their appointment. Costco didn't have the rims so i went to Fountain Tire to have them installed. Total $1400.00 (Canadian). No problems with any such sensor. No lights coming on.

As for TPMS, the light will just stay lit solid if there are no sensors in the wheels. I have an RX-8 and my summer/track rims have no TPMS. It's kind of annoying at first but then you just get used to having that light on.

Yeah i have no light coming on.. Here are those pics

P5 barely moves anymore...

Attachments

• Winter Shoes.jpg
    Winter Shoes.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Brrrr.jpg
    Brrrr.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Brrrr4.jpg
    Brrrr4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Brrrr3.jpg
    Brrrr3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 207
When you were at Costco did they have the fumagalli (?) 17" whells? On their fitment guide it shows that they will fit a regular mazda 3 which I believe is the same offset?

How much were the steel wheels at fountain tire? From the pic it looks as though they are 17", am I corect?

I am also in Calgary and with this recent bit of winter I am unable to drive my Speed3!!! :-(

Thanks

SP33D3 said:
Yeah i have no light coming on.. Here are those pics

P5 barely moves anymore...

They had no wheels left at costco. Had to phone around.
Yes they are 17". Had to pay $95/wheel. Only ones i could find that would fit. Went to fountain on Northland. Pretty helpful in there. Tried to sell me on a high performance tire but i won't be going that fast in snow anyway. If it happens to dry up i'll switch out my tires myself. Only takes 20 minutes.
Don't think i could go without driving it.....

Last edited:
Back