MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

I think it does...the gt has led lights and i think that plays a part which wire kit to use.
can someone confirm this?

Dang, hope not. Curt's website only gives 1 part #, but then again does not specifically list the MS3. The non-speed 3 has a model with LED's, doesn't it? I should know in a couple days... Thx.

And yes I'll try and remember to get lots of pictures!

Dang, hope not. Curt's website only gives 1 part #, but then again does not specifically list the MS3. The non-speed 3 has a model with LED's, doesn't it? I should know in a couple days... Thx.

And yes I'll try and remember to get lots of pictures!

So whats the word?

Sorry, still haven't done the install yet. My roomie/"landlord" is an ass scratch away from having his garage air conditioned, so I'm waiting to do the work in there. These 105 degree days here suuuck.

Edit: Went ahead and put on the Curt hitch tonight. What a b**** with the wrong tools, poor drill bits, and doing it without the car jacked up. That and the perp. flanges on the outside were a bit more narrow than the mounting locations, thus to snug it tight, there really must be some stress on the hitch and metal to which it is mounted. I hope the base metal yielded into place, taking stress off the welds.

May not take pictures of the wiring harness install. It is clear to me the plug adapters are meant to make the install completely plug/play with no splicing. The Curt application sheet lists this type of adapter as "C1 - Converter" for all Mazda 3's thru 2010, implying the vehicle's circuits have enough extra juice for standard trailer lights. Some other vehicles utilizing LED tails, thus with reduced power draw, specify "C3 - Converter, Powered" on the Curt spec sheet, which includes a separate fused power lead back to the battery. My intuition says they got the spec wrong for our vehicle starting in 2007, where LED's are used, and thus they should have really spec'd a powered converter for the later model 3's. I'm going the LED route on my trailer lighting, and with its minimal draw, this may be the easy out for my application. I'll still be able to test the converter on some standard bulbs as well, and will report back.

Last edited:
Are there any hitches available that actually bolt to the frame and not to the bumper supports.

Im sure that for the extremely light towing that it might be used for, the bumper support attachment would probably be fine...but given the choice, I'd rather go with something that bolts directly to the frame.

Regards,
Bryan T.

Good news! I installed the Curt PN #56011 trailer wiring harness adapter on my '07 MS3 GT, and it works great!

Sorry I did not get any pictures (one of the few things I'm good at is sweating, and it was over 100 down in Austin yesterday)... but no need; this is truly a plug/play option, i.e. maybe a 1.5/10 difficulty.

Here is the only potential caveat: the trailer lighting I did my testing on is strictly LED. I won't be sure the converter can supply the wattage required for incandescents until I have my trailer assembled later this week or next. In the meantime, if you'll be going with LED trailer lighting and have LED tails on your M3/MS3, the Curt 56011 is a good option for you.

Are there any hitches available that actually bolt to the frame and not to the bumper supports.

Im sure that for the extremely light towing that it might be used for, the bumper support attachment would probably be fine...but given the choice, I'd rather go with something that bolts directly to the frame.

Regards,
Bryan T.

Well, Bryan, that is the frame. It's a unibody car, so everything is the frame.

Good news! I installed the Curt PN #56011 trailer wiring harness adapter on my '07 MS3 GT, and it works great!

Sorry I did not get any pictures (one of the few things I'm good at is sweating, and it was over 100 down in Austin yesterday)... but no need; this is truly a plug/play option, i.e. maybe a 1.5/10 difficulty.

Here is the only potential caveat: the trailer lighting I did my testing on is strictly LED. I won't be sure the converter can supply the wattage required for incandescents until I have my trailer assembled later this week or next. In the meantime, if you'll be going with LED trailer lighting and have LED tails on your M3/MS3, the Curt 56011 is a good option for you.

Take some pics! Tks for the info!

Almost certainly no.

You are talking totally custom fab territory.

Thanks! From everything i've read, it seemed like the (4) options i have read about thus far were all rebranded hitches with the same design.

I was hoping for another option, but if not, then it is what it is.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
My 3 towing my GF's GS500 and my GSX-R750....
Hidden Hitch PN 60201 - http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/hitchsel_moreinfo.asp?vid=19453&partno=60201
Harborfreight foldable trailer. - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154
2 wheel chocks - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349

Tow's like a champ.

img_9587.jpg

img_9592.jpg

The suspension sagged more when I had the un-assembled trailer in the hatch.
img_9548.jpg

And here it is after unloading
img_9551.jpg

Trailer in the hatch
img_9381.jpg

The trailer comes in many peices..
img_9552.jpg

img_9555.jpg

This is the trailer folder... before the floor and the wheel chocks..
It still folds, but not quite this small unless I remove the wheel chocks.
img_9559.jpg

(drinks)

I also have a harbor freight setup:
e-trailer item # 119130

Total cost to build was around $500
I use plywood instead of aluminum..since it was way cheaper and only going to use the trailer for trackdays (~ 8 a year)

I get around 29mpg...highway - doing the speed limit.

Attachments

• IMG_0002_low.JPG
    IMG_0002_low.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,908
hoping to build a new flats skiff this winter (yeah, all i need is another project, OR another boat!).... and you can count on me towing it sometimes with the speed, if needed. i have a monster size tundra, but the wife sometimes needs it for things. boat motor and trailer should only weigh about 800lbs, probably less... loaded with gear... super light!

after all it IS a station wagon. :)

this way, i could still drive the speed down to the coast, if the boat is at the bay house, and still be able to launch it!.... win win win!

i don't think i would try to launch my hewes with the speed, though i don't see why you couldn't. it only weighs about 1500-2000lbs....

Last edited:
Back