MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

Pics? I am especially curious how they did the wiring...

I will have to take some with my camera phone or something and post them up. Honestly, I haven't even looked at how they rigged it. I can see it when I bend down and I was satisfied with just knowing it was there.

As for the wiring, I have the light hookup dangling in the trunk. So if you open the hatch and look down, the wiring is coming out from under the board that covers the spare tire. You can pull more wire if you want or tuck it under to hide it. I just plug it into the trailer and then close the hatch. It didn't do any damage to the wiring.

Oh, and they mentioned that they had to connect it directly to the battery on this car. I really need to take a better look.

Interested in the pic.

Tks

I didn't take a pic last night but I will when I get home after work today. I'll take one of the trailer/bike and then the hitch underneath the car and how the cables look in the trunk. I haven't looked at the battery yet so if it's shows anything, I will snag a pic of that too.

Ok, so in these pics, you will see how the hitch looks on the car, what the trailer looks like and what I was towing. I also added pics of the battery wiring and the rear light hookup. Yeah, I know, my car is dirty but really, I haven't even been driving it that much since the riding weather has been absoutely perfect around here.

Attachments

• IMG00687 (Small).jpg
    IMG00687 (Small).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG00688 (Small).jpg
    IMG00688 (Small).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG00689 (Small).jpg
    IMG00689 (Small).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG00692 (Small).jpg
    IMG00692 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG00693 (Small).jpg
    IMG00693 (Small).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 556
The final two pics.

Attachments

• IMG00694 (Small).jpg
    IMG00694 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG00695 (Small).jpg
    IMG00695 (Small).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 452
So what was the list of parts you ordered including the hitch? I am in the same dilemna. I have always had an SUV to haul my bikes around (at least the last two years) and have a THULE roof rack in my garage from my 04 mz3 but do not know if I want it on my speed. I love the idea of the hitch carrier and have a cool do it yourself for making it a local short trip ski carrier but dont know everything to do and dont want to pay someone to do it. I have the roof rack and will probably craigs list it as our new Mazda5 needed a completely different racking system so I just bought ALL NEW for it. Delivering today, really excited.

So what was the list of parts you ordered including the hitch? I am in the same dilemna. I have always had an SUV to haul my bikes around (at least the last two years) and have a THULE roof rack in my garage from my 04 mz3 but do not know if I want it on my speed. I love the idea of the hitch carrier and have a cool do it yourself for making it a local short trip ski carrier but dont know everything to do and dont want to pay someone to do it. I have the roof rack and will probably craigs list it as our new Mazda5 needed a completely different racking system so I just bought ALL NEW for it. Delivering today, really excited.

I just looked on the Uhaul website, went to the hitch section and put in the data for my car. Got the part number and called them to ask how much it would all be. A couple of days later, it was installed on my car with wiring and everything was cool. I didn't take a pic of it but the wiring was done directly to my battery and then run along the bottom of the car on the outside where it goes back into the trunk.

They had to drop the rear suspension (I was told) in order for them to be able to get this hitch installed. Said it was harder than most. Just a heads up in case you DIY.

I love mine and never notice it when I drive to work and stuff. Actually, I have yet to see it unless I bend down and look under the rear bumper which is never.

I just looked on the Uhaul website, went to the hitch section and put in the data for my car. Got the part number and called them to ask how much it would all be. A couple of days later, it was installed on my car with wiring and everything was cool. I didn't take a pic of it but the wiring was done directly to my battery and then run along the bottom of the car on the outside where it goes back into the trunk.

They had to drop the rear suspension (I was told) in order for them to be able to get this hitch installed. Said it was harder than most. Just a heads up in case you DIY.

I love mine and never notice it when I drive to work and stuff. Actually, I have yet to see it unless I bend down and look under the rear bumper which is never.

I have no idea why they would need to drop the suspension? Mine certainly required no such thing.

I will probably give them a call about pricing on the wiring.

Tks for the pics

Just for everyones information, the Mazda3 MPS in Australia is approved to tow a 900 (1980lb) braked trailer, or a 550kg (1210lb) unbraked trailer.

Straight from the mazda brochure here p14:

Attachments

• M3Brochure w tow rating.pdf
    770.9 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
I have no idea why they would need to drop the suspension? Mine certainly required no such thing.

I will probably give them a call about pricing on the wiring.

Tks for the pics

I am not sure. Do you have an MS3? I think I remember them saying there was a difference between the M3 and the MS3. Dunno.

I actually got a deal out of it because they quoted me the install price on just the M3 but then the manager called me back saying they screwed up and that it's actually a 3 hour job but that it was ok and I would still get charged the M3 rate of an hour and a half. (cabpatch)

I am not sure. Do you have an MS3? I think I remember them saying there was a difference between the M3 and the MS3. Dunno.

I actually got a deal out of it because they quoted me the install price on just the M3 but then the manager called me back saying they screwed up and that it's actually a 3 hour job but that it was ok and I would still get charged the M3 rate of an hour and a half. (cabpatch)

2008 MS3

Anyone know of a wiring kit for towing that doesn't require me to run all the way to the Battery? Something I can just hook up in back? I'm about to order the Curt 11384 which seems to be everyone's favorite, correct?
Thanks in Advance, I cant believe how long ago I started this thread..LOL
Tom

Last edited:
11384 is what I ordered and was recommended. I haven't hooked it up yet, but what you could do is get a small battery and somehow set it up so when you need to use the wiring kit, just put the battery in your trunk. Obviously you'd have to make it nice, maybe a small enclosure so it doesn't move around, etc. And you'd have to charge it each time before you use it.

Just a thought... I had a winch on my car-trailer, I basically did the same thing with that setup.

11384 is what I ordered and was recommended. I haven't hooked it up yet, but what you could do is get a small battery and somehow set it up so when you need to use the wiring kit, just put the battery in your trunk. Obviously you'd have to make it nice, maybe a small enclosure so it doesn't move around, etc. And you'd have to charge it each time before you use it.

Just a thought... I had a winch on my car-trailer, I basically did the same thing with that setup.

i wonder if you could just get a marine type of set up for something like that maybe like one you would use for a trolling motor

Yeah and mount it to the trailer. Theres no Constant 12volt source in the back of our cars? Why do we need to go to battery?

Running all the lights on the trailer from the small wiring that goes to the little light in the trunk wouldn't be safe. Not to mention the trunk light only comes on when the trunk is open. You want the trailer lights to come on when the headlights are on and when the turn signals are on and when braking. It's a matter of splicing into several wires going to the tail lights. Its complicated. If someone comes up with a DIY I wanna see it.

Back