MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

For those that installed the Curt hitch:

What method did you use to tighten the upper nuts? My tool collection appears to be lacking...

For those that installed the Curt hitch:

What method did you use to tighten the upper nuts? My tool collection appears to be lacking...

Ratchet with a wobble extension...

Good luck; I love the Curt hitch.

-N

Attachments

• 2007_10_19_MS3hitch_11.jpg
    2007_10_19_MS3hitch_11.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 415
  • 2007_10_19_MS3hitch_18.jpg
    2007_10_19_MS3hitch_18.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 389
I have a hidden hitch on mine. With a bike rack, it works great. I would never tow anything with it for several reasons (low suspension, bad grip on the steep grades of bow ramps due to FWD, significantly increased clutch wear, and brakes not designed for it).

I can confirm that the Curt wiring kit (part # 56011 I believe) does indeed work. I have an 07 MS3 GT model (LED stoplight) and hooked it up to my boat trailer (incandescent) lights and everything works fine.

You'll turn your unibody car into a V. However, before I learned about what happened I towed my friend's evo8(mitsubishi quality obviously) probably 5 miles. Went sort of uphill for a part of it. I was suprised it didnt do any damage to my car. He didn't understand what his tow hook was though and hooked it to something straight back behind his intercooler. It bent his intercooler fins up on the bottom haha. Oh well it got repossessed.

Ratchet with a wobble extension...

Good luck; I love the Curt hitch.

-N

1)
I'd remove the bumper, it doesn't take too long
and then I'd go at it with a torque wrench and torque to 65-70 ft lbts with red loctite.

If you installed without bumper removal...then remove it one weekend and torque with loctite....just my 2 cen ts

2) I just spliced into the running light, tail light and turn signal indicators. works fine

http://krystmsgarage.com/?p=234

I have a hidden hitch on mine. With a bike rack, it works great. I would never tow anything with it for several reasons (low suspension, bad grip on the steep grades of bow ramps due to FWD, significantly increased clutch wear, and brakes not designed for it).

uhh...
It tows fine, a lot of us have been towing stuff for at least two years now.
there is no significant increase of clutch wear...
and brakes are plenty powerful.

we're not towing 1000+ lbs here...
and still get decent Milage...I get 29mpg at around 65mph.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Just recently bought my car and it came with a hitch...... go figure lol its staying on there since its doing no harm to me and who knows i might need it.

I bought a hitch and wiring harness from e-trailer.com. I use it to tow a small harbor freight trailor with my sons go kart on it. The total weight of both is less than 600 lbs. I would say that Mazda's statement to not tow with the MS3 is probably based on the fact that the MS3 is about a 1/2" lower than the regular 3 and a concern about the marginal life of the rear shocks. Having siad that, I have the Mazdaspeed coil overs on my car, at full height, and 8" wheels. I'm geting some pretty good rubbing over bumps and potholes on one rear wheel and will propably have to roll the lip to get rid of it. Other than that, no problems. The car pulls the trialer like it's not even there and my mileage numbers with and without the trialer are almost identical.

Another thought: It may also have soemthing to do with the stability control. Is it possible that it wig out it in a situation where you need it because of the trailer back there? So far no problems on mine. After changing the load on the trialer and lesseing the tounge weight I've elminated the rear fender rubbing.

I've gone to a 5" rise drawbar/mount and last trip worked out great.
tows real nice doing 75mph. a bike, pit bike, stands, spare, gas cans, ramp and misc...

estebond008 i was curious if using that hitch and a motorcycle carrier on you 3 hatch caused you any problems so far? If so what were they and if not how far would you travel with your dirtbike back there??

Back