MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

sierra248

Contributor
:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
I know we are not supposed to tow things with the 3. But As My Cycle only weighs maybe 225lb and my trailer weighs maybe a couple hundred @ most 250Lbs. My Tongue weight is nothing, maybe 100lbs, I don't see that as any different then putting a few friends in there, plus where
I ride at Croom is only like 20 miles of flat road. Anyone put a hitch on a Speed3 yet, or on any 3 for that matter. "Hidden Hitch" makes a supposedlty hidden hitch for our 3's just wondering if it will fit the speed3's bigger exhaust? Would love to see some pics of a hitch on a 3.
Thanks for any info in advance.
Tom

I really dont think its as crazy as you might think, a wrx STI(granted awd) is rated at 2000lbs. im gonna be towing 2 250 lb people, thats not that big a deal, maybe im wrong.

why buy a speed 3 if u need to tow things? what did you have b4. I would not suggest towing anything it was not made for that.

Don't listen to anybody...I'm thinking about putting one on mine because I have a jet ski. I've seen a Mazda 3 pulling a 900 lb jet ski before. I use my dad's truck right now but there is a guy here that does custom hideaway hitches for cars. I went to the beach a month ago and saw a honda civic lowered with a body kit pull a ski and get out of one hell of an incline...lol.

I have worked for Subaru and as far as I know the WRX and STI have a note in the manual saying do not tow. It just isn't the same as a N/A car. Yes the 3 or Impreza body can handle a hitch, but the Turbos were never ment to deal with that load. In reguards to having a few friends and weighing the same as a jetski (or bike like the poster) I see your point. In your defense I had a hitch on my WRX to carry a bike rack or a race tire rack. I never had a problem so fit one up, but be gentle.

Yeah, most manuals from cars say not to tow anything. That's because the dealership will not install a hitch on a car, only suvs and trucks. I went through this at Saturn, Nissan, and Mazda. They just don't want to cover someone if the car gets hurt because someone doesn't know what they are doing when they tow something. Cars can tow...now a motorcycle and a jet ski is nothing. You won't even know that they are behind you. I don't think you should pull anything more then that though...

Just like with trucks though, people in the car is the equiv. to payload, not towing ability.

To end all discussion!...lol

I took my jet ski to the beach yesterday and to my surprise a 350Z backing in a jetski! So if that car can then ours definately can!...lol. Wish I would've gotten a pic...

Craighjr said:
I have worked for Subaru and as far as I know the WRX and STI have a note in the manual saying do not tow. It just isn't the same as a N/A car. Yes the 3 or Impreza body can handle a hitch, but the Turbos were never ment to deal with that load. In reguards to having a few friends and weighing the same as a jetski (or bike like the poster) I see your point. In your defense I had a hitch on my WRX to carry a bike rack or a race tire rack. I never had a problem so fit one up, but be gentle.

Both the WRX and Sti have always been rated for towing up to 2,000 lbs. I know because I own one and I tow a 5x9 trailer with one. The MS3 should have no issues with towing other than finding a hitch made for it and possible warranty voiding (which I doubt). This is one reason that I have not bought this wonderful car. The other being no AWD but that is covered in other threads.

I think your remark about turbos not meant to deal with towing loads is incorrect. Think about all of the freight trucks that are turbo powered....

-Mark

I would really be careful with this, as stated before the load(HEAT) on the bearings of the turbo... trucks use turbos made for teh abuse(60+ psi at 3500 for hours at at time) plus they are diesel and burn completly different

Also MSpro19, hope you use your head about backing that car in a lake, dont forget it is lowered

Last edited:
$inCitySpeed3 said:
I would really be careful with this, as stated before the load(HEAT) on the bearings of the turbo... trucks use turbos made for teh abuse(60+ psi at 3500 for hours at at time) plus they are diesel and burn completly different

Also MSpro19, hope you use your head about backing that car in a lake, dont forget it is lowered

I'll be careful if I do...right now I use my mom's new CX-9 or Dad's Explorer. If I have to I'll put a hitch on the Speed3 but right now I'm not. I'm just stating it can be done no problem. The whole heat/load thing with trucks and all that...yeah you're right, but I asked a couple towing companies about that ex: U-Haul....and they said if you are only going short distance it's not a problem...for example the local beach with ski...if you plan on going like across the state or something where you'll be towing for hours than that's not recommended...lol...unless you have a truck.

jhowey said:
Please do not put a hitch on a Speed 3, I do not feel like crying today

who is this loser?

are you serious?

is the MS3, a hopped up Japanese economy car wagon, just far too "nice" to put a hitch on? You do realize they make some really nice concealed hitch mounts, right?

I bet you'd threaten to punch someone in the face for putting a roof rack and hauling a kayak or mountain bike on the ms3 too, huh..

news flash: the MS3 is not a sports car. the MS3 is not an exotic. the MS3 is arguably not even very easy on the eyes. Yes, it's quick, and yes it handles ok, but it's not like he's talking about towing a boat with a Porsche 911.. it's a cheap little sport wagon we're talking about.

To the OP.. do it up! I doubt there's a hitch made specifically for the MS3, so you're probably going to need to experiment and see if one made for the non-speed 3 will fit with the exhaust, sway bar, bumper, and any chassis reinforcements that may or may not be (but I really hope there are some) in place.

I have a hitch for my 3.

Haven't installed it yet (it's been sitting in my garage for over a year)... but I have it.

The only thing I plan to tow with it is a small Coleman Caboose cargo trailer. It's the same trailer I tow behind my Goldwing, so I don't anticipate any issues.

If you have experience towing a trailer and don't go crazy with the weight, you'll be fine. As previously mentioned, the only reason Mazda NA does not recommend towing is for liability purposes. The Aussie Mazda3 has a hitch as an available dealer-installed accessory.

Can't say for sure about Speed3 fitment but a little experimenting or modification shouldn't be a problem.

I fabricated and instlled a hitch on a Saab Sonett many years ago. This is a two-seat all fiberglass car weighing 1700 pounds. I used it to tow motorcycles and a tiny autocross car on a trailer without any problem. The MS3 is a much more capable tow vehicle so with care it should be fine. The only problem I had with the Saab was one day my then GFs (now wife) VW beetle broke down and I towed it with a hitch clamped onto its front bumper. The only problem was I forgot about the steering wheel lock on the VW and when I tried to take a corner, the VW really wanted to go straight and pulled the very light weight back end of the SAAB until the two cars were at almost a 90 degree angle were I could pull it straight by scrubbing the VW front tires sideways. It was a very entertaining couple of miles, but both cars survived.

Kansei said:
YOU HAD A SAAB SONETT! I LOVE YOU!

those cars are craazzy
I actually had three at one time, a driver (2nd gen), an autocross setup one (1st gen V4), and a parts car, plus a couple of the related sedans as driver & parts backup. You had to be a fanatic to own even one Saab. But that's for another forum.

Do you have a moment to measure the hitch?

Hi Goldwing2000,

Since you have the hitch out of your car could you do a simple tape measure? Please measure the distance between the two sets of holes. The first set of mounting holes is the top vertical ones (attach to the frame) and they should be 34.25 inches apart. The second set is the horizontal mounting holes (attach to the bumper crossbar) and they should be 23.5 inches apart. The top of the 1 1/4 receiver should be about 3.5+ inches lower than the horizontal mounting holes.

If these are close then it would work.

Thanks

Peter

goldwing2000 said:
I have a hitch for my 3.

Haven't installed it yet (it's been sitting in my garage for over a year)... but I have it.

The only thing I plan to tow with it is a small Coleman Caboose cargo trailer. It's the same trailer I tow behind my Goldwing, so I don't anticipate any issues.

If you have experience towing a trailer and don't go crazy with the weight, you'll be fine. As previously mentioned, the only reason Mazda NA does not recommend towing is for liability purposes. The Aussie Mazda3 has a hitch as an available dealer-installed accessory.

Can't say for sure about Speed3 fitment but a little experimenting or modification shouldn't be a problem.

Back