MazdaSpeed3 Towing Hitch

Just got my curt hitch delivered. Did you guys jack-up the rear end of your speed3s to install? Or did you somehow magically install it while the car was on the ground? I can barely get a drill under there (while on the ground) to widen the required holes. (shrug)

Just got my curt hitch delivered. Did you guys jack-up the rear end of your speed3s to install? Or did you somehow magically install it while the car was on the ground? I can barely get a drill under there (while on the ground) to widen the required holes. (shrug)

Yep, jacked up the rear...

Attachments

• 2007_10_19_MS3hitch_01_resize.jpg
    2007_10_19_MS3hitch_01_resize.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 2007_10_19_MS3hitch_20_resize.jpg
    2007_10_19_MS3hitch_20_resize.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 524
Yikes. That is *seriously* too much weight to be putting on a hitch behind a vehicle that was never meant to be towed with. (boom06)

The Australian Mazda 3 brochure lists the towing Capacity at 500kg (or 900kggwith brake).

I'm practically withing the 500 kg's (1102 lbs). (my setup is about 1150 - 1200 lbs (lol2)

The Australian Mazda 3 brochure lists the towing Capacity at 500kg (or 900kggwith brake).

I'm practically withing the 500 kg's (1102 lbs). (my setup is about 1150 - 1200 lbs (lol2)

I was going to say that...the 3 MPS is rated to tow, so the part in our manual that says not to tow is complete BS.

I am moving from CA to TX next weekend and need some advise. I went to U-Haul and they said they have a hitch that will fit my MS3 and handle 2000 lbs max with no problem. Problem is UHaul wants over $500 for the hitch and installation. I have just purchased a trailer hitch from etrailer.com made specifically for the MS3 and also purchased the T connector for the trailer lights for less than $175. The hitch installation looks to be fairly easy per the explicite instructions that are supplied, but my question is how do I remove the interior plastic panels in the hatch area to access the tail lighting loom? I want to do a clean job and not screw up the panels or their fasteners. Anyone able to give me some help on how to remove the panels? Any help will be most appreciated.

Good luck. When I did mine, it was such a pain in the ass to get the panels off that I ended up just splicing into the tail light wires at the bulb sockets.

I can't seem to find a hitch that says it fits the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. The Curt 11383 specifically says it DOES NOT fit the speed 3. Anybody know about what fits (if anything) the 2010 speed 3? Thanks.

The curt 11383 does fit on the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3. I put it on mine. Its a semi easy install. I bought it from Rockauto. I use it for my bike rack .

For those of you who tow a jetski, have you had any problems on the ramp getting the ski out of the water? The ramps around here are pretty steep and I'm hesitant about installing a hitch just to find out I can't pull my ski out.

i saw an MS3 pulling a bike home from a track day at Buttonwillow. the car looked pretty track prepared as well. So maybe they take the time to take the hitch on and off every time.

Good news! I installed the Curt PN #56011 trailer wiring harness adapter on my '07 MS3 GT, and it works great!

Sorry I did not get any pictures (one of the few things I'm good at is sweating, and it was over 100 down in Austin yesterday)... but no need; this is truly a plug/play option, i.e. maybe a 1.5/10 difficulty.

Here is the only potential caveat: the trailer lighting I did my testing on is strictly LED. I won't be sure the converter can supply the wattage required for incandescents until I have my trailer assembled later this week or next. In the meantime, if you'll be going with LED trailer lighting and have LED tails on your M3/MS3, the Curt 56011 is a good option for you.

I know its been a while since this post and its the last one you made, but did you ever test this with the incandescent lights? Did anyone else use this harness adapter? Any problems with the GT with LED lights and a trailer with incandescents?

I know its been a while since this post and its the last one you made, but did you ever test this with the incandescent lights? Did anyone else use this harness adapter? Any problems with the GT with LED lights and a trailer with incandescents?

I would like to know this also...I just got back from having my hitch installed, and the guy at the shop said that the wiring harness we ordered, which was for a GT w/ LED lights wasnt going to work with my Speed3. He called the company and they said that it may require some other parts or resistors or something. I can't seem to find a wiring harness that is designed for the speed3.

Thanks.

So while investigating trailer hitch bike racks, many people said to get a 2" hitch because there are more and better bike racks available. Some of you mentioned your 1.25" hitch bike racks have quite a bit of sway on them (perhaps this is rack-dependent). Have any of you installed a Class II hitch on your speed3? Does anyone load 4 bikes?

So while investigating trailer hitch bike racks, many people said to get a 2" hitch because there are more and better bike racks available. Some of you mentioned your 1.25" hitch bike racks have quite a bit of sway on them (perhaps this is rack-dependent). Have any of you installed a Class II hitch on your speed3? Does anyone load 4 bikes?

I'm not sure how much you care about aesthetics, but if you've ever seen a 2" receiver on a passenger car, it usually looks pretty ridiculous. There's a Prius and a 3 series BMW at my work that have this setup, and they stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, most 1.25" hitches have the ability to exceed the tow rating of a given small car, which is another reason why manufacturer's often don't bother to make 2" versions for that segment of the market. Admittedly, I've not looked to see if there is a 2" version available for the speed3.

Most of the 2" racks that I've seen have a fair amount of movement when loaded with 4 bikes, due to the cantilevered load.

Good luck with your search.

I have never felt I am lacking anything with my 1.25" hitch. If you really want it, you can get adapters to make a 2" hitch but I wouldn't. Some of the best bike racks made come in 1.25. Almost all of them.
I don't experience any sway that is not directly related to giant potholes on dirt roads. No hitch can stop things like that.
The rack you get is far more important than the hitch as long as your hitch isn't some p.o.s.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4607827&postcount=167

Thank you nullmod and Somno, I appreciate it :) Now to figure out how extravagant I want to get with the bike rack.

I'm bumping this thread to re-iterate the questions above, and see if anyone else has any input...

Just for everyones information, the Mazda3 MPS in Australia is approved to tow a 900 (1980lb) braked trailer, or a 550kg (1210lb) unbraked trailer.

Straight from the mazda brochure here p14:

QFT. Can't believe it took 150 posts, but props to fff for bringing it up.

Back