I dumped my CX-5 finally

Well, just an update...

-the AWD works better than my 2015 on my gravel hill.
-the nvh is perfect. Of course Id like zero, but really, this is on par or better than my 2010 Jeep that I loved for road trips.
-ive driven almost 400mi, and the overall mpg is 24.1. This is on par with my 2015.
-the power could be a bit more...but couldn't it always? Regardless, this thing feels capable and motivated. Mazda, you did the 2.5T right!
-the info center is very intuitive. I have yet to need the manual.
-the auto brights and wipers are nice...again, missed that from my 2010 jeep.
-radar cruise is awesome
-handling is good, but 245s would make it 'pop'. 3800# needs more than 225s in the twisties.
-rigidity is much improved from 2015 in a tangible way
-air conditioned seats are awesome. How i managed before them is like how we went to the bathroom without our smartphones. One can only read the Glade spray ingredients label so many times....dark days!

Congrats Uno on the new purchase and initial thoughts. Look forward to getting your thoughts and others on longer term ownership.

Well, just an update...

-the AWD works better than my 2015 on my gravel hill.
-the nvh is perfect. Of course Id like zero, but really, this is on par or better than my 2010 Jeep that I loved for road trips.
-ive driven almost 400mi, and the overall mpg is 24.1. This is on par with my 2015.
-the power could be a bit more...but couldn't it always? Regardless, this thing feels capable and motivated. Mazda, you did the 2.5T right!
-the info center is very intuitive. I have yet to need the manual.
-the auto brights and wipers are nice...again, missed that from my 2010 jeep.
-radar cruise is awesome
-handling is good, but 245s would make it 'pop'. 3800# needs more than 225s in the twisties.
-rigidity is much improved from 2015 in a tangible way
-air conditioned seats are awesome. How i managed before them is like how we went to the bathroom without our smartphones. One can only read the Glade spray ingredients label so many times....dark days!

What's the difference, how can you tell?

It cost ~$1,000 on parts only, and I was lucky as I just noticed that a couple of days before I brought my CX-5 in for final warranty service.

So you didn't actually have to pay anything for the repair, because it was covered under the factory warranty?

In your case and ALL FOUR of unobtanium's examples, and extended warranty would have been a waste of money.

Has anyone here paid >$3000 out of pocket for a repair that would have been covered under an extended warranty?

So you didn't actually have to pay anything for the repair, because it was covered under the factory warranty?

In your case and ALL FOUR of unobtanium's examples, and extended warranty would have been a waste of money.

Has anyone here paid >$3000 out of pocket for a repair that would have been covered under an extended warranty?
I've never bought one.

People I know who have though usually got the "that's not covered" treatment.

What's the difference, how can you tell?

It doesn't seem to slip as much/often/easily. I have A36's on this one, and RT43's on my former one, so I doubt it's the better tires. Maybe it's more aggressive on sending power to the rear given the same parameters. Dunno.

**** sake can we let warranty thing go already..obviously if you're willing and able to some s*** yourself you almost certainly will end up ahead(and you might even if not) at the end but..ya never quite know do ya?
Uno- did you even sample the 4th place Rav4 you were so hot on? Or were the unimpressive test results enough?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...nissan-rogue-subaru-forester-and-toyota-rav4/

I'll actually excuse MT for calling the CR-V the 'winner' as it does a good number of things better (space and efficiency) being the biggies..but they make a point to say the CX5 is the obvious drivers choice- which- by now even a caveman knows that:)

Last edited:
Nice review UNO. Besides the stereo anything you don't like?

I've never bought one.

People I know who have though usually got the "that's not covered" treatment.

I bought one once. Granted it was a crappy aftermarket one but...
It was $1,200 with a $200 deductible. I had one thing fail that was covered: water pump. Cost of repair: $300. So I paid $1,400... to save $100. #NeverAgain

**** sake can we let warranty thing go already..obviously if you're willing and able to some s*** yourself you almost certainly will end up ahead(and you might even if not) at the end but..ya never quite know do ya?
Uno- did you even sample the 4th place Rav4 you were so hot on? Or were the unimpressive test results enough?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...nissan-rogue-subaru-forester-and-toyota-rav4/

I'll actually excuse MT for calling the CR-V the 'winner' as it does a good number of things better (space and efficiency) being the biggies..but they make a point to say the CX5 is the obvious drivers choice- which- by now even a caveman knows that:)
21l8tiq.jpg

It's just such a dog by the tests, I don't have to drive it to know that 0-60 in 7.5+ seconds is terribly boring and limits my ability to pass at highway speeds. BTDT. This is also coupled with the fact that the Toyota dealer offered $2K less for my CX5 some months ago.

Nice review UNO. Besides the stereo anything you don't like?

I bought one once. Granted it was a crappy aftermarket one but...
It was $1,200 with a $200 deductible. I had one thing fail that was covered: water pump. Cost of repair: $300. So I paid $1,400... to save $100. #NeverAgain

-Lack of remote start
-225 series is too narrow, 245's woulda been prime
-Info system is laggy

Those are nitpicks though, and not a big deal to me.

-Lack of remote start
-225 series is too narrow, 245's woulda been prime
-Info system is laggy

Those are nitpicks though, and not a big deal to me.

Agree with all these, the remote start and tires being the biggie. The upper trims should've included remote start years ago...

Not putting bigger tires on the turbo models is really lame as well, but I can see/guess why they didn't, MPG and it's just easier to throw the same on everything, still a mistake IMO. Granted if I "splurge" and buy one, I'll let the stockers run their course before changing, but will anxiously be waiting for the day for new shoes to come...

Agree with all these, the remote start and tires being the biggie. The upper trims should've included remote start years ago...

Not putting bigger tires on the turbo models is really lame as well, but I can see/guess why they didn't, MPG and it's just easier to throw the same on everything, still a mistake IMO. Granted if I "splurge" and buy one, I'll let the stockers run their course before changing, but will anxiously be waiting for the day for new shoes to come...

The tires are actually my least concern, the reason being snow and ice are a major reason I have AWD, and the wider you go, the less safe/effective the same tread/tire will be. WOT even in 28* weather on wet roads did not cause me issues due t o the AWD, so the only thing I am missing is handling corners "at the limits", which is a sane thing to give up in a CUV for ice/snow capabilities. Especially since it's not like the CX5 sucks at cornering as-is.

The tires are actually my least concern, the reason being snow and ice are a major reason I have AWD, and the wider you go, the less safe/effective the same tread/tire will be. WOT even in 28* weather on wet roads did not cause me issues due t o the AWD, so the only thing I am missing is handling corners "at the limits", which is a sane thing to give up in a CUV for ice/snow capabilities. Especially since it's not like the CX5 sucks at cornering as-is.

Yeah I mean if it really starts to bug you, you can always just keep the stock 225 wheels for a dedicated winter set, and get some 245's for the rest of the year.

Yeah I mean if it really starts to bug you, you can always just keep the stock 225 wheels for a dedicated winter set, and get some 245's for the rest of the year.

It honestly won't, I just had to list it as it's a possible niggle for some, and legitimately so, given the power and chassis.

Why do I all of a sudden feel nervous about not purchasing an extended warranty? (eek) I've purchased about 15 new vehicles in my lifetime. I've purchased an extended warranty on each and ever one of those, except on the CX-5. I've broken even on one, our old 2010 CR-V, which required an A/C compressor replacement at 7.5 years. Honda actually extended that warranty on that to 7 years, so I may have gotten lucky without the warranty.

That said, I totally understand why people buy them for peace of mind. I kept doing it. At this stage of my life, I can finally say I don't worry about that kind of expense. I no longer live paycheck to paycheck. Do what makes you feel good. It's your life!

It's helpful to separate fact from preference. It's a provable fact that, statistically speaking, extended warranties are not a good investment. The math on this doesn't lie. But every one of us decides the value of things for ourselves and that's a subjective component that can't be squared up with the facts sometimes.

If you personally gain a sense of peace of mind from buying an extended warranty and that feeling is valuable to you, then the extended warranty and its cost has value and may well be worth it to you. It's all in how you frame that sense of value.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to slip as much/often/easily. I have A36's on this one, and RT43's on my former one, so I doubt it's the better tires. Maybe it's more aggressive on sending power to the rear given the same parameters. Dunno.

I have heard the Toyo A36s are not that great, but since they're pretty new there is a lack of reviews still. I know I'm not impressed with the ones on my CX-5. Even for an A/S tire they do poorly in the snow. It's clearly meant to be a quiet highway tire and that's it.

Back