2013~2016 CX-5 HVAC stopped blowing

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So today we were driving when all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing. I then tried the heat just out of curiosity and nothing.

So I am thinking the blower motor went out? I really don't know, but since it wasn't specific to AC, figured that made the most sense?

Anyone have to replace that on their CX-5? Is it a hard job to DIY, and any recommendations where to get a replacement?

I assume you have manual 3-dial HVAC system on your 2014 Touring. Based on your description you should check the fuse first. This’s from 2014 CX-5 owner’s manual:

4D7B3A6D-D05A-4E47-969F-6EDCD971E562.jpeg

AD8F559C-E9C6-4B6A-B24C-C0F953F643E0.jpeg

Check fuse #19 and #30 on fuse block in the engine compartment. Verify the fuse location listed on the place card on the fuse block.

If you see the AC compressor kicks in while you have the AC on with the engine running but no cold air from the vents, it can be blower itself, or the blower resistor pack blown. If the fan can be on ONLY at the maximum speed, the resistor pack is the culprit. My guess is the blower itself but you may have to remove the glove compartment and test the blower fan and resistof pack with multimeter. Both are fairly easy job to replace.

2014 CX-9 front blower motor only works intermittently

I assume you have manual 3-dial HVAC system on your 2014 Touring. Based on your description you should check the fuse first. This’s from 2014 CX-5 owner’s manual:

View attachment 322717

View attachment 322718
Check fuse #19 and #30 on fuse block in the engine compartment. Verify the fuse location listed on the place card on the fuse block.

If you see the AC compressor kicks in while you have the AC on with the engine running but no cold air from the vents, it can be blower itself, or the blower resistor pack blown. If the fan can be on ONLY at the maximum speed, the resistor pack is the culprit. My guess is the blower itself but you may have to remove the glove compartment and test the blower fan and resistof pack with multimeter. Both are fairly easy job to replace.

2014 CX-9 front blower motor only works intermittently
Well here's an interesting one for you.

I had to drive somewhere today and miraculously the system was blowing again. AC no problem. So now I have no idea what happened yesterday. I guess I'll read up on this thread you linked about it working intermittently.

Well once again yesterday, the HVAC system was working just fine, and to be clear all fan speed settings 0 through 4 worked fine.

Seriously no idea what happened Tuesday then where it just went completely out.

Well once again yesterday, the HVAC system was working just fine, and to be clear all fan speed settings 0 through 4 worked fine.

Seriously no idea what happened Tuesday then where it just went completely out.
At this stage you can only hope the HVAC or fan keeps working until it dies again. It could be the fan bearing which has worn a bit and the fan got stuck at certain position sometimes. Based on the reports here, fan motor seems to be always the culprit of the HVAC problem like yours.

At this stage you can only hope the HVAC or fan keeps working until it dies again. It could be the fan bearing which has worn a bit and the fan got stuck at certain position sometimes. Based on the reports here, fan motor seems to be always the culprit of the HVAC problem like yours.
Today it stopped working again after working no problem since Sept 27. I guess I need to stop sitting on my hands and just deal with it and replace that part.

Just wanted to update. I bought a blower motor at NAPA that said it was Made in Canada. I ended up doing the switch last Saturday and the new motor definitely works, but it has this god awful what I can only describe as "coil whine" on the lowest settings. So I may take it back and just pony up the extra $$$ to get an OE blower.

I don't know, haven't decided yet. This one was $115 and seems like the OE ones are closer to $300. That said, the job itself was pretty easy to do.

Just wanted to update. I bought a blower motor at NAPA that said it was Made in Canada. I ended up doing the switch last Saturday and the new motor definitely works, but it has this god awful what I can only describe as "coil whine" on the lowest settings. So I may take it back and just pony up the extra $$$ to get an OE blower.

I don't know, haven't decided yet. This one was $115 and seems like the OE ones are closer to $300. That said, the job itself was pretty easy to do.
At least you’ve confirmed that the problem is your fan motor. Since your 2014 CX-5 has some age now, don’t pay $203.45 for an OEM blower motor KD45-61-B10, but get one from Amazon or some other places for only $37. Return the one you don’t like from NAPA. it’s easy to replace anyway.

8316D6EB-4E8E-44BC-A246-65E821E80AFE.jpeg

70F77936-649E-41E3-82AE-E2B0F91BAD86.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry too much on product origin for blower motors. I replaced blower motor and compressor cooling fan motor on my home AC system with those aftermarket compatible motors from China almost 20 years ago. They last longer than original US made motors from Rheem.

At least you’ve confirmed that the problem is your fan motor. Since your 2014 CX-5 has some age now, don’t pay $203.45 for an OEM blower motor KD45-61-B10, but get one from Amazon or some other places for only $37. Return the one you don’t like from NAPA. it’s easy to replace anyway.

View attachment 323713

View attachment 323714

I wouldn’t worry too much on product origin for blower motors. I replaced blower motor and compressor cooling fan motor on my home AC system with those aftermarket compatible motors from China almost 20 years ago. They last longer than original US made motors from Rheem.
Very interesting. Well I may take you up on that then and look into picking one of those up and seeing if that resolves my issue.

It's too bad. The Napa blower was actually built really solid otherwise. Metal instead of plastic, etc.

Back