Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

I'm not at all a fan of the felt like carpeting and the base model seat materials as my dogs hair sticks to everything and shows up against the black. I'd rather have a dark grey seat or something that didn't show every crumb tracked in.

Is the carpeting better quality in the touring models? Anyone covering the seats? I ordered the OEM cargo tray and the weathertech rubber mats and plan to keep them in permanently though I don't contend with rain or snow, I do contend with kids and a dog :)

I'm not at all a fan of the felt like carpeting and the base model seat materials as my dogs hair sticks to everything and shows up against the black. I'd rather have a dark grey seat or something that didn't show every crumb tracked in.

Is the carpeting better quality in the touring models? Anyone covering the seats? I ordered the OEM cargo tray and the weathertech rubber mats and plan to keep them in permanently though I don't contend with rain or snow, I do contend with kids and a dog :)

The carpeting is the same across all models. The touring get's "premium cloth" and the GT gets leather. I agree with you on both statements that the carpet is cheap as well as the seat materials. I think the only thing different with the premium cloth is the pattern.

1. My biggest complaint so far is the back seats don't fold down to any where near flat. Makes half the cargo area useless as everything slides to the back. Can't fit my bike in unless I lower the seat all the way down.

2. Next biggest complaint is lack of power, but I knew that when I bought it and the good mileage helps make up for it.

3. Seems pretty loud on anything but very smooth roads. I did rent a Camry recently and the CX-5 seems about the same. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'd added a bunch of vibration damping sound proofing in my Xb.

I really enjoy the driving dynamics. Best driving car of any of the non-luxury suvs. Drives as well or better than the Infiniti FX series.

1. Having issues with the bluetooth, but I'm also running a ZTE Warp(Boost Mobile). Sprint service isn't that great, but it likes to drop in and out.
2. Mazda is replacing the cushion on the drivers seat b/c the clips wouldn't "clip" and the cushion was loose on one side.

Not necessarily complaints, but just the stuff I've been dealing with.

My driver side seat did this the first week I had it, but I was able to clip it back in. I then noticed the passenger seat did the same thing a week later, and again was able to clip it back in. One month later my driver side seat popped off again and it seems as it it wont clip back this time. I think its just a poor design on the way the clip is sewed into the fabric and it is not that large to actually stay in place.

I've had the car for couple of weeks now - not too many complaints as I really like the car - but..

- The plastic in the dashboard is quite scratch prone, but I do like the soft touch material on the top!
- The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily (massive difference from my previous BMW)
- Vibrating mirrors are annoying
- The "iDrive" knob can't be used to control the volume directly
- ...and I don't like how low in the dashboard the clock sits! :)

I would agree that the "The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily" - every time I take bikes in/out of the cargo area I am putting nicks in the back bumper

I have a steering pull to the right problem, otherwise no real concerns. See my separate thread in the suspension section.

my bluetooth keeps cutting out on voice calls, anyone having this issue? I have a Motorola Droid Bionic phone . I can stream Pandora via bluetooth with no problem just the voice calls keep getting dropped.

my bluetooth keeps cutting out on voice calls, anyone having this issue? I have a Motorola Droid Bionic phone . I can stream Pandora via bluetooth with no problem just the voice calls keep getting dropped.

My bluetooth problem is the other way around. I have an iPhone 4S and the call audio is fine. No drops or speed ups. Streaming music however is a joke. It cuts in and out and speeds up. Have to disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to fix. Usually 2-3 times per trip.

REALLY wish they had used the same soft touch materials that are on the dash on the door panels as well. Resting your elbow on that hard plastic on the door is terrible.

Disable your wifi.

I agree on ... Hood vibration, driver mirror vibration, some rattle (could be the mirror, not sure yet)

I also started to notice a deformation on the hood where the is the hook to keep it closed... anyone else saw that ? Subtle but I thought someone hit my car in the parking lot the other day and after looking closer, i noticed it is right there... where that hook is. I'll try to get a picture where we can see it.

For the interested, I went to the dealer for my first maintenance and here is what I got with my little issues:

- Mirror vibration/rattle: confirmed by dealer test drive, they ordered a replacement and reported to Mazda
- Inside rattle: they tightened bolts in the "cow grill" and they secured the plastic cover behind the steering wheel

I forgot to talk about the hood vibration, so next time around I'll mention it. The "cow grill" screws/bolts, they had a service bulletin regarding the issue.

My driver side seat did this the first week I had it, but I was able to clip it back in. I then noticed the passenger seat did the same thing a week later, and again was able to clip it back in. One month later my driver side seat popped off again and it seems as it it wont clip back this time. I think its just a poor design on the way the clip is sewed into the fabric and it is not that large to actually stay in place.

My driver seat also popped out after one week. I took it into the dealership and Mazda Canada is sending new clips to be installed on Monday. Fortunately just the clips need replacing, and not the fabric, so it should be a quick and easy fix. According to the dealer, they have recognized this as a deficiency and will be sending out a bulletin about repairs.

After two days of having it, I have just a few small minor annoyances but am overall really, really happy with it.

-Moonroof size is a bit skimpy
-The Bose stereo is good but not as good as their marketing suggests (not unique to the CX-5, more of a comment on Bose). More particular to the CX-5, it really lacks in the back speakers and could use some more adjustment options besides just treble and bass.
-Driver's side mirror vibrates a bit much. I get used to it, but it is distracting at first.
-It could use a bit more pep (or less struggle) on bigger hills, etc.

Last edited:
What do you mean by the driver seat clips coming loose?

Back