Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Here's a complaint, brother in law is looking for a AWD CX-5 GT like mine without the Tech Package but there are only like 2-3 available within a 50 mile radius in NJ! we went to several Mazda dealerships close by in the past few days and there were almost no GT's on hand.

Does anyone have an idea of when these GT's will become more available in the NorthEast US especially?, thank god I got mine when I did. I didn't realize there would be shortages lol

Did you use the search inventory tool on mazdausa.com? Try that. I did a quick search for the AWD GT from a 50 mile radius of Edison, NJ and found some. That doesn't mean they aren't already accounted for, but if he's not picky on color then he should be able to find something at least using that tool as a start his search for contacting dealers with them in stock.

nyctravis - Good advice, it worked for me. That's how I found my GT spec'ed (including exterior and interior color) as desired.

But I know supplies are tighter now than in March when the average car shopper didn't even know the CX-5 existed.

nyctravis - Good advice, it worked for me.

Ha! Actually, I learned it from you. So original credit goes to you, where it's due. :)

All this prompted me to take a look back at the original CX-5 we bought who's location and story kept changing. I just did a search and see that it's still not there at all. I wonder if it will ever arrive. :) Glad I got the one I got though and not looking back. That search tool was priceless in helping me to make the realization that I needed to let go.

Yup I took a look at that too, only 5 GT's available 1 of them with Tech Package and the dealers are out near Philly just above the 50 mile radius. I hope Mazda plans on providing more GT's cause people are looking for them.

Ha! Actually, I learned it from you. So original credit goes to you, where it's due. :)

All this prompted me to take a look back at the original CX-5 we bought who's location and story kept changing. I just did a search and see that it's still not there at all. I wonder if it will ever arrive. :) Glad I got the one I got though and not looking back. That search tool was priceless in helping me to make the realization that I needed to let go.

Wow, your honesty is impressive! But what's important is that you got the CX-5 you really wanted. Congrats.

Hmmm I'm finding 9 AWD GT's within 50 miles of Edison, NJ without tech package. You wanted just a straight AWD GT, right (no packages, etc)? Also consider expanding your radius just a little bit and you might get a bunch more come up. I expanded to 100 miles from Edison and got 12 GT AWD's without tech package

I was doing it from East Brunswick, let me try Edison as well unless I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Ok I see what I was doing wrong, it was returning searches on one specific color only when I viewed the details of a vehicle and went back to the search inventory page all CX-5 inventory showed up.

Thanks man! some of them are still too far out but there are options, still though there should be more than 9-10 in the whole state of NJ :D and if you're particular about a color keep looking!

Last edited:
If the hood vibrates (I still waiting on mine, so i have no idea how much of an issue it is), keep in mind that its part of making a vehicle to be sold starting in the low $20k range. My Tacoma was about $30k, but uses the same hood as the $13k model. It vibrates a little at speed (70mph+), but it doesn't bother me at all.

These are pretty inexpensive vehicles in the first production year; expectations should be set accordingly.

My last vehicle was a $16k Honda Fit. It is what I traded in for the CX-5. No hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out on the Fit. It was far quieter too. For 8k less than I spent on the CX-5, that Honda Fit was built like a tank. No quality issues with it what so ever. You can't gauge the quality of a car by simply comparing prices.

More on topic is the hood shaking that some owners (not all) have experienced, what is the dealer saying? I've purposely looked at my hood trying to observe shaking under a variety of conditions and none found.

Have you gotten it up to about 80mph on the highway? For me, at 70 it is very slight, but at 80 it really starts going. Above 85 it looks like it's about to blast off into space.

lol, I don't want a Fit at any price.

I prefer my luxurious CX-5 GT awd with no hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out, no quality issues in first 4500 miles. When I take it in for my 7500 mile oil change in a couple of months, maybe I'll have something to talk about at the Service department by then. The GT does cost more at about $29K. I don't think anybody was gauging quality by simply comparing prices, because most of us are familiar with Range Rover, Jag, Audi quality at very premium prices.

Have you gotten it up to about 80mph on the highway? For me, at 70 it is very slight, but at 80 it really starts going. Above 85 it looks like it's about to blast off into space.

Bummer, and what does the dealer Service say? Has anybody asked yet?

Of course I've had it to 80, in CA normal cruising speed is 75-80mph. But I have not exceeded 90 mph. And I've gone out of my way to stare at the hood looking for the problem on a variety of surfaces at speed, no vibes.

Bummer, and what does the dealer Service say? Has anybody asked yet?

Took mine in last week. They ordered new clips for the seat cushions. They could find no fault in the parts or installation of the hood or mirrors regarding the vibes so they have no solution for them yet. The tech went out on a test drive with me and he noticed the vibes. At this point however, they were at a loss on how to remedy the problems. I was told to be patient and wait for communication from Mazda on any recalls or tsb's that might be issued regarding those problems.

Last edited:
Took mine in last week. They ordered new clips for the seat cushions. They could find no fault in the parts or installation of the hood or mirrors regarding the vibes so they have no solution for them yet. The tech went out on a test drive with me and he noticed the vibes. At this point however, they were at a loss on how to remedy the problems. I was told to be patient and wait for communication from Mazda on any recalls or tsb's that might be issued regarding those problems.

Thanks for the report, that should give some hope to others experiencing the vibes. Sounds like Service department is expecting something from Mazda on the issue, most likely a TSB, not a recall.

Maybe is just me (I’m very easygoing) but I think that some people may be exaggerating a little with some of these “issues”. The side mirror thing I don’t know what the big deal is, all I see is some very little vibration and 98% of the time I’m driving looking through the front windshield so you don’t even notice it and there is no noise related to it. The hood well I’ve looked and looked and I can’t see the vibration issue and if it really starts vibrating after 85mph I have other things to worry about than the hood vibrating if I’m driving those speeds around here.

My biggest gripe right now is the damn trunk. sometimes I think i have closed it but instead it shows up as having not been closed. I don't want to slam the trunk but at the same time it's very hard to differentiate if the trunk latch is actually locked or not. anyone else having this issue?

My last vehicle was a $16k Honda Fit. It is what I traded in for the CX-5. No hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out on the Fit. It was far quieter too. For 8k less than I spent on the CX-5, that Honda Fit was built like a tank. No quality issues with it what so ever. You can't gauge the quality of a car by simply comparing prices.

I had the unfortunate experience of driving a honda Fit, and it was hardly "built like a tank". I've had roller skates that had a better build quality. I'll keep an eye out on the test drive when we take delivery of our CX for the issues you mentioned though.

Maybe is just me (I’m very easygoing) but I think that some people may be exaggerating a little with some of these “issues”. The side mirror thing I don’t know what the big deal is, all I see is some very little vibration and 98% of the time I’m driving looking through the front windshield so you don’t even notice it and there is no noise related to it. The hood well I’ve looked and looked and I can’t see the vibration issue and if it really starts vibrating after 85mph I have other things to worry about than the hood vibrating if I’m driving those speeds around here.

I agree. I never noticed the mirror vibe until I read it here. It's not bad enough to bother me. As for the hood, mine does not vibrate.

I had the unfortunate experience of driving a honda Fit, and it was hardly "built like a tank". I've had roller skates that had a better build quality. I'll keep an eye out on the test drive when we take delivery of our CX for the issues you mentioned though.

I'm a Honda fan and I currently own a Civic. However their latest vehicles have major quality issues. I read it in reviews but didn't believe it until I saw it myself. The most obvious is the quality of the interior materials. Just tap on the dash and door panels with your fingers. The plastics sound and feel really cheap. It's one of many reasons I didn't buy a CR-V. The CX-5 is a much higher quality product.

Back