Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

1. Having issues with the bluetooth, but I'm also running a ZTE Warp(Boost Mobile). Sprint service isn't that great, but it likes to drop in and out.
2. Mazda is replacing the cushion on the drivers seat b/c the clips wouldn't "clip" and the cushion was loose on one side.

Not necessarily complaints, but just the stuff I've been dealing with.

CX5 GT, the remote engine start has buttons to start, stop, and something called car find. That is it. It will not open doors. Its silly to me that it can start the engine but not open doors. Had I known this, I would never have gotten it.

Well ffs, I had it worked into the price...but still how stupid. I'm gonna have to get a man purse to carry my keys!

UPDATE!

Got the +-5 % BS from the dealer, regarding my speedo being out 3kms. Funny cause the loaner Mazda 3 they gave me was on the spot on.

The remote start key fob is the most useless piece of crap. Well the whole system is stupid to me.

The Remote Starter FOB will not unlock the doors, when you open the door (with original fob in hand) the engine stops and you have to start the vehicle again. This can't be good for the starter. Not impressed to say the least. And they want 300 bucks for a replacement remote start Fob.

Still love my CX-5 tho!!

Here's another possible one. I know that diesel motors are always a little clattery at low revs but this one seems to have quite a bit of pinging type noise when I drive at low speeds. Is anyone else noticing this?

Nope, havent noticed that at all. If you really stomp it down low you'll hear some slight diesel clatter but its heavily subdued compared to Hyundai's latest 2.2 R diesel thats for sure.
Its a pretty impressive engine. I keep getting people not believing that its a diesel when they get in it (until I nail the throttle!) :)

CX5GT As your tires wear and get smaller the spedo will read higher and closer to true, at the same speed...

I wonder if this will fix the vibrating hood issues:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_hoodliner.html

Doesn't have to be dynamat, but maybe some kind of liner would work. It would add some weight to the hood as well as shield it from engine vibration.

My hood does not vibrate. Lightweight aluminum hoods are common on modern vehicles, my Lexus has one and it also doesn't vibrate. My last Ford Explorer had an aluminum hood and it did not vibrate.

My guess an adjustment is needed so the hood seats properly and therefore is seated properly when closed.

Has anybody consulted their Mazda service department about this? And what was the response?

If anyone else is as disappointed about the Remote engine start as I am, please call mazda and let them know:
In north america: By Phone: 800-222-5500
A real person will answer, after you get through the menu. When I spoke to them, they told me I was the only one who complained about this so far. They said if enough people complain, they maybe able to do something about it.

They also mentioned that the CX-9 provides keyless entry and remote start in the same fob, but not on the cx-5

I forgot to mention I'm very disappointed with the quality of the glossy black plastic trim, where the mazda logo sits, on the front of the car.
It's got so many chips already it's crazy.

I just took a road trip, noticed a slight hood vibration for the first time but I could neither hear or feel it. I also saw some driver side mirror vibration at high speeds, but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

Agree with all of this. Noticed the vibration in the hood on a long road trip. Really noticeable along the edge nearest the windshield. Think the skyactiv weight reduction on the hood made it too light.

and also seeing the vibration on passenger side mirror as well.

REALLY wish bluetooth would stop cutting in and out and speeding up audio randomly. Using the latest software on an iPhone 4S. Have to turn bluetooth on and off multiple times per trip to get it to work correctly.

Voice recognition is a joke.

Don't know what speed is correct, the GPS or the Speedo. They can't agree on what speed i'm actually going.

starting to wish i had went with the CR-V. i've owned nothing but Honda's until now. Never had any build quality issues with them.

Why don't you use the USB with your iPhone? Sound quality is better and it works flawlessly.

Why don't you use the USB with your iPhone? Sound quality is better and it works flawlessly.

How quickly does the USB cable charge? Anyone know the output amperage of the cars USB ports? I have a 3.1 amp car charger that charges the phone pretty quick. Most usb ports are 0.5-1.0 output amperage.

I've had the car for couple of weeks now - not too many complaints as I really like the car - but..

- The plastic in the dashboard is quite scratch prone, but I do like the soft touch material on the top!
- The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily (massive difference from my previous BMW)
- Vibrating mirrors are annoying
- The "iDrive" knob can't be used to control the volume directly
- ...and I don't like how low in the dashboard the clock sits! :)

We've had our white GT AWD for nearly 1,000 miles now -- Love 97 percent of it and strangers in parking lots have approached a half-dozen times to ask about eye-catching vehicle. My favorites: Ease (and fun) of handling...comfort...fuel efficiency...and cargo space.

We went to Costco this week and heaped two carts full of stuff (and put stuff on bottom of carts, too), and my clever hubby fit everything into the vehicle -- I had to ride in back seat, but no biggie. I wish I had a photo....but the larger items included a 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner, 7-foot magnolia tree (real, not fake), jumbo packs of Bounty paper towels and Charmin and solar lighting for front yard...and $650-worth of groceries. I forgot to mention in original post the other unexpected thing -- We forgot my mom's wheelchair was in the back (folding)....so, in addition to Costco loot, a full-size folding wheel chair was also crammed in

Here's what I would change:
a)deeper sun roof
b)move clock higher on console
c)swap orange lights on console to something soothing and modern, like blue or white
d)devote more of speedometer to 0-80 mph....half of the dial is wasted for most folks

Oh, one other nit particular to our vehicle: The right-side plug on our bumper apparently popped out ... dealer is replacing for free, but part had to be ordered. Dealer suspected the plug wasn't put in correctly.

By the way, our dealer -- Park Mazda of Wooster (OH) -- has been great to deal with, from stumbling across them at the Cleveland auto show....to online negotiating (we ended up at dealer invoice)...to following up after purchase. Like I said, this is our first Mazda, so we've never used this dealer before...and sort of wonder if this is representative of Mazda. There was no (obvious) pressure from saleswoman (Sam)...and thorough and informative presentation upon delivery....and Park didn't paint its logo onto our bumper (we had planned to asked them not to...forgot about it...and were pleasantly surprised when we picked it up and saw that Park had added nothing but a license plate holder).

Last edited:
So far: the heated seats aren't the warmest. The clock ac lighting is orange where everything else is white. Love the vehicle!

On a road trip this week from Michigan to Nashville and the Nav crapped out. Voice and menus work but map screen is black. Called nelson mazda in Nashville and they said it takes 3 days for a new unit to be ordered. We are only there for 2 days. So Not really pleased about that. I know Nav isn't required to drive the car but it is why we bought it for road trips. Dealer wasn't very helpful either in finding solution. Hopefully our home dealer will treat us better.

When I turn on my lights in rain the nav map goes almost black as it thinks it is nite and goes to a low light mode that is hard to see in the day...

When I turn on my lights in rain the nav map goes almost black as it thinks it is nite and goes to a low light mode that is hard to see in the day...

Not a perfect fix but you can address that by turning up the dashboard lights to full.

Have you tried setting the screen brightness to "day" as opposed to "auto"? It worked for me, but I don't have nav.

Back