Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

I believe the standard is +/- 5% for the spedo to be within spec. Your at about 2.5% out of true so there is technically nothing wrong.

Even my 3GT,with an off size winter tire, only put my speedo out by 2kms. I would think that +- 5% is unacceptable for today's technologies. Common would any one here really be happy if your speedo read 105 and you were only going 100. For me trying to guess where 117km is so I don't go over 120 is a thing I shouldnt have to do when I spend 35000.

The double down shift on a hill climb scared me as well. Very harsh. Happened twice on the same trip going up hill, however on flat and passing it was smooth. Sounds like a tuning issue.

I hope they come up with a fix for the side mirror. By far the most annoying part for us still since we see it everyday.

Nav has become more annoying, its just paninfully slow and the voice recognition is terrible.

What I'm not complaining about is the mileage. Were at 1800 miles now and our avg is 28.2mpg with an avg speed of 35mph.

those of you that are having issues with the voice on nav, please please please, fill out a complaint from your profile on mymazda.com and then call tomtom support and tell them of the problems too.
the more people that come forward to bring the problems to light, the faster and more likely we might get a fix to make the navs more useable

Even my 3GT,with an off size winter tire, only put my speedo out by 2kms. I would think that +- 5% is unacceptable for today's technologies. Common would any one here really be happy if your speedo read 105 and you were only going 100. For me trying to guess where 117km is so I don't go over 120 is a thing I shouldnt have to do when I spend 35000.

Should you ever have an issue for getting a ticket 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit, you can win it in court. Thats why most cops use a 5-10mph rule as minimum to pull people over for speeding. Ive only gotten them for 15-30 over when I always drive at least 5-10 over past cops daily.

Its very difficult to determine your exact speed. Even if we all have the exact same tire size what happens as the tred starts to wear? Your speed will be off. So does mazda put the spedo at brand new tread life of the stock tires, mid life of the stock tires, or bald life of the stock tires? What about replacement tires that have more tread than the stocks? Mazda has to figure in the average. Remember spedos are still archaic designs by measuring tire rotations against time. Even very small variations in the rotation from tread life will affect it to a small degree.

That said just let it go, all cars are like this.

Last edited:
sort of off topic but we took a road trip last summer and took along my phone (htc thunderbolt), radar detector, and a garmin. we mounted all three of the devices on the windshield for grins (and because Nebraska is excruciatingly awful to drive across, no offense intended) and watched the speeds vary and they were within a quarter second of eachother updating to current speed, while the speedo on my Honda was 4 mph faster than the three gps devices. was sort of interesting, but imo it's better for the speedo to think you're going faster than you actually are, should keep you out of trouble.

sort of off topic but we took a road trip last summer and took along my phone (htc thunderbolt), radar detector, and a garmin. we mounted all three of the devices on the windshield for grins (and because Nebraska is excruciatingly awful to drive across, no offense intended) and watched the speeds vary and they were within a quarter second of eachother updating to current speed, while the speedo on my Honda was 4 mph faster than the three gps devices. was sort of interesting, but imo it's better for the speedo to think you're going faster than you actually are, should keep you out of trouble.

A thought I just had. This will cause the miles to rack on your car faster. Over the life of the car that would add up to thousands of miles.

Never thought of it that way... it wouldn't matter too much though in the long run because if every car is doing it to a certain degree, its an apples to apples comparison if you're looking at a used vehicle as a replacement.

would also be interesting to see if you did a side by side gps odometer to the vehicles over a long period of time how much of a difference it would make.

I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?

Same here. I hope the wind deflectors help. Anyone know from experience?

those of you that are having issues with the voice on nav, please please please, fill out a complaint from your profile on mymazda.com and then call tomtom support and tell them of the problems too.
the more people that come forward to bring the problems to light, the faster and more likely we might get a fix to make the navs more useable

Second that motion.

Should you ever have an issue for getting a ticket 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit, you can win it in court. Thats why most cops use a 5-10mph rule as minimum to pull people over for speeding. Ive only gotten them for 15-30 over when I always drive at least 5-10 over past cops daily.

Its very difficult to determine your exact speed. Even if we all have the exact same tire size what happens as the tred starts to wear? Your speed will be off. So does mazda put the spedo at brand new tread life of the stock tires, mid life of the stock tires, or bald life of the stock tires? What about replacement tires that have more tread than the stocks? Mazda has to figure in the average. Remember spedos are still archaic designs by measuring tire rotations against time. Even very small variations in the rotation from tread life will affect it to a small degree.

That said just let it go, all cars are like this.

Yeah cops are more generous, it's the photo radar vans that have zero fogiveness. 10 over no ticket 11 over, ticket. I know I'm just being picky...but to be honest all the cars I have ever owned have never had this problem. Corolla, Accord, journey, 3Gt...all perfect. Even with some tread wear. Any way I'm filling this forum with same stuff now :). I just see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks for the info tho anything helps for sure.

CX5GT - My speedo speed (mph) matches nav speed on my CX-5 GT w/standard 19's. I see your concern especially if the speedo reads lower than actual, not acceptable. (Porsches in my experience tend to have the most optomistic speedos.)

Last edited:
Tomtom GPS

My only complaint, to date, is with the Tomtom GPS and I've mentioned it in another thread. The display of POIs is pretty much useless because there's no way of touching the POI to determine the name of the place and it's details. Ie. It will display a shop or restaurant icon but there's no way of finding out the name of that shop or restaurant. Also, I would like to see the altitude on the GPS.

It looks like you may have not understood what I was saying. Basically my speedo says I'm going only 120 but in reality I'm going 123. You guys are talking about if my speedo read 120 and I would be going 117, which would not bother me as much. No big deal I will see what they say when I bring it in for the command start install next week.

Sorry about that. In the UK speedometers are not allowed by law to under-read, but are allowed to over-read by no more than 10%. Never heard of one reading low before. Here Mazda would have to change it immediately.

Not a complaint, but it did concern me on the hood - it is thin. I was waxing it and just didn't expect it to bend with such light pressure. It does make sense that at freeway speeds and wind that it moves a little. Otherwise, so far so good.

Not a complaint, but it did concern me on the hood - it is thin. I was waxing it and just didn't expect it to bend with such light pressure. It does make sense that at freeway speeds and wind that it moves a little. Otherwise, so far so good.

Noticed this with most surfaces of the car. The body panels seem very thin all around.

I believe the standard is +/- 5% for the spedo to be within spec. Your at about 2.5% out of true so there is technically nothing wrong.

Highly doubt your figure of +5%.
In Australia (and most countries of the world) the speedo needs to be calibrated to display a higher than actual speed.

One reason for this is to avoid speeding fines being challenged in court. In Australia for example, the unmanned speed cameras have small tolerances of between 2-3% error in favour of the driver (the manned cameras are fairer to cater for human error). Some countries are even more strict, allowing for 0% error on the part of the calibrated camera.

The error rests with the vehicle - which is why car makers must make the displayed higher than actual.

If the speedo was calibrated to display lower than actual by 5%, then a displayed 100km/h would be 105km/h (rounded).
An unmanned speed camera allowing up to 103km/h, would fine the driver despite their speed displaying 100km/h.

If this was common, then it would be common for drivers to challenge the fines.

This law is fairly common. As a result, Mazda calibrates all vehicles in Japan to usually be between 3-6% above actual. This would also apply to vehicles being exported to the US/Canada.

Car magazines in Australia publish manufactured tolerances in reviews all the time.
Nearly every single Mazda I've seen in the past 5 years has *always* had:

Actual 95km/h
Displayed 100km/h

Last edited:
Having an issue with the Nav/Radio screen. When we turn our lights on the screen does not go dim. Its in auto mode but it doesnt change. We have to physically select night mode in settings every time. Anyone else's do this?

I'll add that our CX-9 seems to be very accurate. We have a Jeep and the CX-9. I've had the jeep programmed because of larger tires to correct speedo issues. With my GPS the jeep still shows 2 MPH faster on the highway. The CX-9 usually seems to be right on with the same GPS unit. (tomtom on iPhone).

I'd say our CX-9 is programmed within 1% error if not less.

I agree on ... Hood vibration, driver mirror vibration, some rattle (could be the mirror, not sure yet)

I also started to notice a deformation on the hood where the is the hook to keep it closed... anyone else saw that ? Subtle but I thought someone hit my car in the parking lot the other day and after looking closer, i noticed it is right there... where that hook is. I'll try to get a picture where we can see it.

I'd also add the following...

Cheap/thin floor carpet (not the removable ones, but the floor...)
No dead pedal
nothing to stop water/washer from flowing from the windshield to the drivers window (had borders for that on my VW Rabbit)
electric windows can't be controlled from driver controls when they are locked

Last edited:
Back