Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

I'd also add the following...

Cheap/thin floor carpet (not the removable ones, but the floor...)
No deal pedal
nothing to stop water/washer from flowing from the windshield to the drivers window (had borders for that on my VW Rabbit)
electric windows can't be controlled from driver controls when they are locked

Sorry, what's a 'no deal pedal'? Is it a poor one?

I just took a road trip, noticed a slight hood vibration for the first time but I could neither hear or feel it. I also saw some driver side mirror vibration at high speeds, but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

I just took a road trip, noticed a slight hood vibration for the first time but I could neither hear or feel it. I also saw some driver side mirror vibration at high speeds, but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

Same here!

Anyone notice that you have to really slam the hatch to get it to latch. Almost like it's too light.

Anyone notice that you have to really slam the hatch to get it to latch. Almost like it's too light.

i wouldn't say you have to slam it, but you do have to put a bit of force into it to make sure its actually closed

Sorry, what's a 'no deal pedal'? Is it a poor one?

It's the place where your left feet rest, most cars have a plastic plate there, the CX-5 is carpet... this is going to wear out fast with the winter I guess.

Came out of work tonight, got in my new CX5, pushed the "engine start button" and nothing. It just wouldn't start. Everything on the dash lit up but it just wouldn't start. Called Mazda Roadside Assistance, they were great. Immediately called my dealership and they will be running a diagnostic on it first thing in the morning to see if they can figure out why it wouldn't start. CAA gave it a boost and said it may/may not have been the battery. They also said it's common for all new vehicles (mine is 2 months old) to not start at least once in the beginning as the batteries have never really been fully recharged?? Anyone hear of this?? Anyways, more to follow on this. Have to admit, it was frustrating but both roadside assistance (by Mazda) and the dealership provided excellent service.

How did you make out since the boost?

Last edited:
Yeah I see where you are coming from. But for me this is unacceptable. My 3GT was right on the nose. Where it becomes a problem is our photo radar system...at 10km over we are ok...at 13km over I'm getting a 150 dollar pic of my car in the mail. I shouldn't have to use the NAV system to tell me my actual speed. Surely they can make some sort of adjustment. I'll see what they tell at the dealer next week and report back. :)

What did dealer say? Should be easy to show then NAV speed reading higher than speedometer (which is not normal to say the least).

Speedo on my CX5 is about 1 mph off @55-60 and maybe 1.5 mph off @70 so that's not too bad. My issue is that I don't like how difficult it is to actually see/read the speedometer... at least compared to my Mazda5. CX5 has a funky fat needle and the 160mph dial is too cramped.... adds up to difficult to tell at a glance what your speed is. I think it needs either a larger dial or 120mph scale instead of the stupid 160. This isn't a MS3

My 5 is dead on accurate and it's night and day easier to use/read in traffic.

I guess I'll find a nice location for the Garmin cause it's going in the CX5.

Last edited:
I'd also add the following...

Cheap/thin floor carpet (not the removable ones, but the floor...)
No dead pedal
nothing to stop water/washer from flowing from the windshield to the drivers window (had borders for that on my VW Rabbit)
electric windows can't be controlled from driver controls when they are locked

I noticed this too, I just got the all-weather floor mats (oem) and was ripping out the cheap ones and I thought I was going to rip the carpet. It is very, very thin.

What did dealer say? Should be easy to show then NAV speed reading higher than speedometer (which is not normal to say the least).

Haven't been to the dealer yet, been driving around too much! :). I bet they give me the +-5% bs. Well see its going in on Thursday to get command start installed.

Have seen most things that people have reported here:
1) speedometer different from nav speed
2) very cheap carpets and sunshade on the moon roof.
3) vibrating mirror
4) vibrating hood
5) Remote engine start fob does not open doors, need to use the main fob for it
6) Could not get any discounts for the car :(
7) Overall the outer body looks great but seems cheap to the touch.. The metal seems very light.

What is great:
1) MPG real world is amazing for the size of the car, rented a chevy aveo, and guess what my cx-5 beats the chevy aveo.
2) Plenty of room
3) Plenty of power (I am not an aggresive driver, but I test drove an xterra, and a ford xplorer long time ago, and know what an under powered suv feels like)
4) I love the looks on the outside
5) The looks on the inside feels like a high end lexus rx350
6) Love the bluetooth, microphone is great, everyone can hear me.
7) Noise levels are ok, could be better.
8) Sirius is fun, HD radio is cd quality
9) Voice recognition works fine, I know some people have had problems. enunciate please..

Overall more positives than negatives.. couldnt be happier with the car.

Last edited:
Question about the remote start...does it also have proximity sensor or is every one talking about opening the doors with push button on factory fob. I really think that it would be a HUGE mistake on mazdas side if they expect me to carry around 2 fobs to get in my car.

I have the proximity key system and the dealer is installing the Mazda command start on Thursday. I just want to know if it is a configuration problem on their end or just not possible at all to have it all on the command start fob.

Haven't been to the dealer yet, been driving around too much! :). I bet they give me the +-5% bs. Well see its going in on Thursday to get command start installed.

So I'm sure the dealer will give you 5% tolerance on the 36k mile warranty then right? :)

Also anyone have issue of their HD radio constantly fading in and out of HD signal?

Happens to me too but im further away from the city. my job is about 30 miles closer which helps a lot.

CX5 GT, the remote engine start has buttons to start, stop, and something called car find. That is it. It will not open doors. Its silly to me that it can start the engine but not open doors. Had I known this, I would never have gotten it.

Haven't had problem with HD. I've noticed the hood shimmy. Just seems like the material in thin. One of my side mirrors vibrates, so I figure that means that the problem CAN be fixed. Haven't had any real issues, short of a tropical storm putting dents in my hood, further leading me to my conclusion that the hood is a little "lean" so to speak. I'll get those pulled out, and move on.

only real complaint I have (again nothing to do with performance, or a maintenance issue) the bluetooth and USB...why o why does it only really work with IPhones? My android hooks right up to it, and works great, but I can't see the track, and don't have the advanced controls when using USB. Is it really that important to car dealers to make their stuff work with Apple devices, but not the "other" OS, which comprises a large portion of the smart phone market? ugh...anyway, I really hope those of you with issues get them resolved...sounds like alot of dealer issues IMO.

Back