Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

joeatmazda5

:
CX-5 Touring
I have the AWD Touring with MoonRoof; and fortunate that I have only one minor complaint so far and that's the front head rests. A little uncomfortable.

I have the AWD Touring with MoonRoof; and fortunate that I have only one minor complaint so far and that's the front head rests. A little uncomfortable.

I agree. A lot of reviews have said the same: angled too far forward.

I'm getting used to them though.

You know the head rests lift right off and can be put back on backwards, in seconds. My only tiny problem was that one of the small plastic covers set into the rear bumper (covers the tow connection) disappeared. The dealership replaced it. It also snapped in in seconds.

Rear door/window wind noise sounds like a window is always down. Dealer says this is normal and offers no fix?? Seems that its a door seal issue where it bends down to go around the door but they are offering no fix. Also no real rear cup holders on the sport :). Other than those I love it. I will fix the door seal issue, but I should not have to fix it on my own.

Rear door/window wind noise sounds like a window is always down. Dealer says this is normal and offers no fix?? Seems that its a door seal issue where it bends down to go around the door but they are offering no fix. Also no real rear cup holders on the sport :). Other than those I love it. I will fix the door seal issue, but I should not have to fix it on my own.

Really? I know someone who is in the door seal business (aftermarket/replacement) and he saw the cx5s seals and complimented on the quality of them.

I hate rattles with a passion and for a few weeks, there was a major one in the CX-5 and it drove me nuts. I eventually found out what caused it and was able to fix it, but it comes back every now and then. The black cover to one of the windshield sensors (headlights/wipers) clips into the roof liner, but it unclips very easily and rattles like crazy.

The BSM doesn't work all that well. It lights up at most intersections when turning, or on the highway, when driving beside a guardrail.

I also can't stand the rust on the rear rotors because the brake pads don't cover the whole rotor.

When using cruise control going up a steep hill, I've had the transmission slam into a lower gear so hard I thought the car was gonna break in half. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it was still pretty loud and could feel it throughout the car.

The paint is really cheap. After coming back home from a 2000km trip, I noticed lots of chips on the hood and the plastic trim above the mazda logo.

The hood is so thin that it sometimes shakes when stopped at a light or speeding on the highway. It freaks me out every time I wash the car. What will happen this winter when it starts snowing?

BUT, I love everything else about the car!!!!!!

Last edited:
The paint is really cheap. After coming back home from a 2000km trip, I noticed lots of chips on the hood and the plastic trim above the mazda logo.

The hood is so thin that it sometimes shakes when stopped at a light or speeding on the highway. It freaks me out everytime I wash the car. What will happen this winter when it starts snowing?

Both of these are skyactive "features". Same with the cheap thin carpet mats. (boom01)

Haven't noticed headrest issue (although they are very close to head, for a reason), I'm glad the headrest is designed for reducing chance of neck injury.

I did notice the downshifting while on cruise control, but I expected it when I set it for 78 mph in rolling terrain.

Haven't noticed hood shaking, wonder if some hoods need adjustment to seat properly. I assume the hood is aluminum, most modern cars are today.

Rusty rotors are common on almost all cars and it's harmless. Motorcycles have stainless rotors which look cool (a critical styling requirement on a motorcycle where entire brake is exposed) but the material is actually less effective as a rotor material.

I have experienced the false BSM alerts, not surprised when it occurs because of guard rails, etc.

I noticed the sunroof is not one-touch closing, most likely this a cost-cutting measure to not have the safety feature to detect fingers, etc. when closing. I prefer one-touch closing like my other cars have.

No rear AC vents on back of console, like all premium cars have. But at the CX-5 price point, maybe it's less common.

Dead pedal needs cover/mat/platform.

Last edited:
Really? I know someone who is in the door seal business (aftermarket/replacement) and he saw the cx5s seals and complimented on the quality of them.

I did not say I believe them. The seals for the most part are good. In this one section it appears as though the bend was thought about and there is a slit to allow something to be inserted to force it to "puff" more to seal, but my service department is a bunch of lazy liars. When they told me they test drove others to compare, I walked the lot to find the "others" only to find that the CX-5s have been sold off the lot for more than a week. I am not frustrated at Mazda, the car is well thought out and put together for the most part. Its just I found out the dealer I bought from has a lazy service department .

-Options for 6mt sport model. Wanted a sunroof and 40/20/40 seats. Power seats would be nice too.

-With both windows down in the back there is a horrible imbalance in equilibrium in sound. It kills my ears. Im sure the sunroof would equalize it.

-No cover on the dead pedal, the carpet will get ruined.

Came out of work tonight, got in my new CX5, pushed the "engine start button" and nothing. It just wouldn't start. Everything on the dash lit up but it just wouldn't start. Called Mazda Roadside Assistance, they were great. Immediately called my dealership and they will be running a diagnostic on it first thing in the morning to see if they can figure out why it wouldn't start. CAA gave it a boost and said it may/may not have been the battery. They also said it's common for all new vehicles (mine is 2 months old) to not start at least once in the beginning as the batteries have never really been fully recharged?? Anyone hear of this?? Anyways, more to follow on this. Have to admit, it was frustrating but both roadside assistance (by Mazda) and the dealership provided excellent service.

Minor vibration of side mirrors. Not a big deal - you get use to it.

Rolling down just the rear windows all of the way makes a lot of noise. Happens when ONLY the rear windows are rolled all the way down.

The little caps in the rear bumper came off in the automatic car wash.

With manual, there's not enough power in sixth gear to maintain 60 MPH+ speed on highway mountain passes. Gotta downshift!

That's all I can think of.

Does anyone have a vibration in their driver side door by the door handle? Mine is starting to bug me.

I agree with driver mirror vibration. The passenger mirror does not. I've also noticed the hood vibration at speed. It sure doesnt feel like aluminum cause that hood feels heavy. Also when you close it, it doesnt give thud but more a rattle close.

I have something rattling under my drivers side door. Haven't figured it out yet and don't want to send it to the dealer for fear that the mechanic will tear it apart and break some of the clips and lose some of the screws. I don't trust them with my brand new car!

I also noticed the thin hood (looks like 22 gauge metal).

The seat fabric seems a little low rent and the fit and finish could be a little better but its forgivable I guess since I only paid 22,600 out the door.

Went out one morning and the battery was completely dead. Not sure what happened but it could have been my fault because I may have accidentally pushed the start button thus turning on the ignition and leaving it that way.

Just an FYI but the government mandates that the head rests be angled that way to prevent whiplash.

Many more likes that dislikes, which means Mazda did a good overall job.

Yeah, I for one appreciate the headreast design. I don't have a CX-5, but have driven one, also my 6 and CX-9 have the same sort of angled headrests. At 6'2" it is very comfortable with none of the discomfort some have mentioned. As others have said this is an anti-whiplash design, so those of you who say "just reverse it" are putting your neck and life in danger in the event of a rear end collision.

I've only had mine a few days but haven't really found anything that really bothers me. I had a CX-7 GT before and miss the memory presets for the drivers seat but other than that not much! Really loving it.

driver-side door controls...can't see them in the dark because only the power windows (i think) have backlights...

My only complaint is that I don't have one. How is the interior space? Could 2 adults, 2 little ones, and 1 dog cruise up to the cabin for the weekend comfortably?

My only complaint is that I don't have one. How is the interior space? Could 2 adults, 2 little ones, and 1 dog cruise up to the cabin for the weekend comfortably?

Most defiantly. 4 adults could. There is ample rear leg room. 5 adults can fit in a pinch but 4 comfortably. My coworkers are all between 6'2" and 6'8" and can fit 4 of us no issue! Rear space was actually one of my main reasons for getting the cx5. Oh and head room is excellent too in the back.

Back