All Weather Mats...Which?

Has anyone tried Exactmats before? Living in Northern CA, I don't need all the protection from heavy duty mats like Weathertech and Husky and I would rather keep the factory carpet mats. This looks like a nice option to place on top of the factory mats to protect them from dirt and wear.

http://www.exactmats.com/mazda-cx5-clear-floor-mats

Not really digging the clear mat, it's just a repurposed office seat mat. Back in the day I had a set and they turned yellow and brittle after awhile.

Just received a set of OEM all weather mats and cargo liner, nice color, quality and fit also much less expensive than Weathertech. If you need the full tray protection then I could see going with the Weathertech or Husky type mats but in So Cal we just don't get the weather that requires mats like that.

How about NOVLINE mats? Anyone try them in a CX-5? They're about the same price as OEM per set (front and back). They're also cupped like WeatherTechs and have a billeted tread, so to speak.

I'm considering replacements before Winter because slush will go over the sides of OEM and the design grooves will catch dirt.

I've had OEM mats since I bought the car (August 2012), and I already bought WeatherTechs to replace. I bought the rear one last summer because I could not stand all that dirt on the carpet in the middle of the backseat. I was pretty happy with it. Now the front WeatherTech liners are just waiting warmer weather so I can clean out the car, vacuum it nicely, and install the new floor mats.

Ordered direct from Weathertech. No discounts.
WeatherTech are known for not offering discounts or free shipping. I had to exchange something I bought from them during the holidays, I made them pay return shipping but then they went ahead and charged me shipping (the whooping $18!) for the replacement item.

Seems the cargo liner just protects the cargo area but what about the 2nd row back seat back protectors? What have you found that works to protect this area?

Seems the cargo liner just protects the cargo area but what about the 2nd row back seat back protectors? What have you found that works to protect this area?

The cargo liner protects the back of the seats as well as the rear bumper. The cargo tray only covers the trunk and side pockets.

Just installed a set of MAXpider 3D mats (bought off Amazon) and they fit great. I decided to try them even though I have WeatherTechs on all my other cars. The MAXpider looks good and has slightly better grip than the WeatherTechs.

One thing about the CX-5 is that the fuel door latch is a bit recessed and I don't think any mat can protect the carpet around it from salt/dirt. On my Subaru, the trunk and fuel door release are in the same spot but has a decent plastic trim surrounding it. This lets the fitted mats hug the trim and no carpet is exposed.

The cargo liner protects the back of the seats as well as the rear bumper. The cargo tray only covers the trunk and side pockets.

Is this from the dealer or one of the aftermarket companies?

I just called WeatherTech and they said that their product is only for the cargo area. Does nothing for the back of the 2nd row seats. I can understand their product and the need for the lip to keep spillage contained BUT having something to cover the seat backs is what I want too.

I called Husky too. They said the same thing. Nothing for the backs of the seats. ??

Last edited:
The soft cargo liner from Mazda covers the backs of the rear seats

photo_zps4f4aa401.jpg

The Mazda cargo liner fits nicely and cost me quite a bit less than the canvasback lists for, but it's not available in all those fancy patterns :)

Last edited:
Just put in a set of Maxspider 3Ds --$150 full set from Etrailer.com, shipped the next day. Note that like a lot of sites, they haven't updated their info for the 2015 model year, so if your'e driving a '15 and do a search for that you won't get all the available options. '14 gets it.

Time will tell about wear, but I'm liking them a lot. The fit is outstanding, nestles into every contour front and back. As has been mentioned, doesn't cover fuel door latch. They kind of split the difference between the OEM carpets and the heavy, ribbed WeatherTech type. Nice woven surface that looks plenty durable, and none of that "new rubber" smell. Assuming they hold up and clean up easily, I think these are winners.

Last edited:
Anyone know how we can get the 3D Maxspider mats in the U.S. that come WITH the locking clips for the passenger side? Love the look but I just can't do it with the raised mat above the clip that they seem to offer through our distributors here.

As it's been pointed out, looks like partsengine.ca doesnt ship to the U.S. - so I've been looking around on different sites.

Etrailer has pictures that show the passenger side with the locking clips, but I called and they indicated they only sell them with the raised mat.

Last edited:
I have the 3D Maxpider mats for my CX-5 and I don't believe they make ones that have locking clips for the passenger side.

On page 7 of the thread, another member posted theirs with the locking clips. That was a while ago though, so not sure if the manufacturer changed it since then

PartsEngine.ca has been on back order since May (when I ordered). I spoke to them today, and they will be coming in today, and mine should ship out tomorrow :)

I'll let everyone know about the passenger side locking clips, as these will be as new as possible. I live like 40mins away from PartsEngine, so I should see it fast.

PartsEngine.ca has been on back order since May (when I ordered). I spoke to them today, and they will be coming in today, and mine should ship out tomorrow :)

I'll let everyone know about the passenger side locking clips, as these will be as new as possible. I live like 40mins away from PartsEngine, so I should see it fast.

Awesome, thank you sir!

The Weathertech are great in every aspect... Except for one thing. They didn't raise the plastic to prevent dirt from filling the base of the throttle pedal. Stupid flaw.

I couldn't agree more. I purchased the Weather Tech liners because I've had great experiences in the past, but how they designed the liner by the gas pedal is a HUGE flaw. We park on a slight incline and any water held in by the liner, drains right into the gas pedal area flooding the carpet underneath. If there is any standing water on the mat, eventually it will flow into that area which does not have a lip.....completely useless.

I ended up ordering the Husky Liners instead because they have a lip all the way around the gas pedal. If you compare the Weather Tech liners with the Husky liners you'll see what I mean.

Check out this thread for pictures of the Husky liners posted by another user (post #10):

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123818758-Husky-Liners-for-CX-5

The only two "negatives" I see with the Husky liners is the materials they use are thinner/more flimsy, though it doesn't seem to affect performance or fitment. The only other minor annoyance is how you have to either cut a hole for the gas lever or lift the liner to access. I chose to lift the liner because its easy enough. I actually prefer that the lever is covered by the liner because it offers more protection especially when getting in and out of the vehicle in the winter. The gas lever area is always prone to salt, dirt and other debris...I wish Mazda had given the CX-5 fuel door release a new home off of the floor like they did with the 2014 Mazda 3.

I did consider the 3D Spider liners, but I was afraid that the soft material would look poor over time as the liner wears.

Last edited:
Back