37.17 mpg

Pesty said:
I just switched from the 195's to 205's and my mileage went down a lot, but some of that could have been due to the difference in overall diameter of the tire, so hard to say.
I just switched from the 195's to 225's and the diameter got about 1.5->2" taller too. Curious what my mileage says. Before I changed the tires I was getting about 21 city

Last edited:
i12drivemyMP5 said:
Still pulling consistent 27mpg with sport auto. 350 mile tanks with 13 gallon fillups just like clockwork.

27 mpg. I wish.

My completely stock 2003 auto P5 gets 21-23 mpg in 95% city driving, almost all of which is just the daily trip 7 miles each way between work and home.

The car managed to eke out 28 mpg once on a trip that was 95% highway driving.

The wife's Subaru Legacy wagon weighs 1000 pounds more and gets virtually identical mileage. My P5's city mileage is just pathetic for such a small car. Yes, I've changed the plugs, filters, tires are correctly inflated, alignment is correct, it has been lubed, and no evidence of dragging brakes.

30.12 Mpg

I always get a consistent 25 MPG on my stock 2002 5 spd (75/25 city/highway), but I tend to rev pretty high. Anyway, I decided to take it easy for a tankful, and check it out...MPG increased by 20 percent!!! from 25 to 30. I upshifted below 3000, kept highway speed at about 66 with cruise control and just generally stayed out of the races. Couldn't believe the difference.

So let's do the math...at 12,000 miles per year, my old driving habits would require 480 gallons of gas. The 20% improvement in MPG would require only 400 gallons, a difference of 80 gallons. Multiply that by, say $2.35/gallon, that's a savings of $188/year, plus a lot less wear and tear on the brakes, tires, motor etc. I'm convinced.

omg. i just got 21 mpg... auto p5.. lol awful man.. went around 60 some miles and got like 2.8 gallons in.

The car gets significantly worse milage during the first 2/3s of a tank because you are lugging around all that gas.

The best way to track your milage is to run down to empty (when the light comes on) and fill up. Do this several times and keep track of your milage and how many gallons you put in. Add the total miles from several tanks of gas and divide by the total gallons purchased and you will get a pretty good estimate of your milage.

chuyler1 said:
The car gets significantly worse milage during the first 2/3s of a tank because you are lugging around all that gas.

I call BS.

1 gallon of gasoline is around 6 lbs. A full tank of gas is 14.5 gallons, or 87 pounds. The car weighs about 2700 pounds and the driver another 150-200, so round it to 2900. The full tank of gas is only 3% of the total weight of the vehicle. The first half of this tank is <1.5% of the total weight. That's not a very big change. Probably over 10 or 20 thousand miles you could measure the difference this causes in mpg, but to call it "significant" is a stretch.

Ok...you got me...but if you try to measure milage off as little as 2 gallons, the margin for error of simply filling the tank up will produce unreliable results. Some gas pumps shut off at different times.

i've owned my P5 for a week now, and since changing out the plugs and using the fuel system cleaner, im getting about 28 highway and 24 city.

keep in mind that the more tread u have on the ground, the more friction. i saw this in my first car when i went from 195's to 215's.

I mentioned that in another thread and someone called BS on me. I suggested getting a pair of 185 or 175 tires if you were concerned about mileage. After all, that's what you see on the econoboxes. I doubt the Toyota Prius would get 40+ MPG with 225s on!

pfive, you may want to check the air filter while you're at it.

chuyler1 said:
I mentioned that in another thread and someone called BS on me. I suggested getting a pair of 185 or 175 tires if you were concerned about mileage. After all, that's what you see on the econoboxes. I doubt the Toyota Prius would get 40+ MPG with 225s on!

pfive, you may want to check the air filter while you're at it.

im putting a K&N into mine... thats why toyota and honda puts tiny tires on their hybrid. i have yet to see a thugged out prius w/ dubbs and a spoiler...

37?? wtf. I get 29 regularly, and jsahyoun was joking about never breaking 2500 rpm, but I seriously drive like that most of the time. I'm talking city though so maybe I'd get better on highway. Can't be too much higher than my 29 though.

clicknext said:
37?? wtf. I get 29 regularly, and jsahyoun was joking about never breaking 2500 rpm, but I seriously drive like that most of the time. I'm talking city though so maybe I'd get better on highway. Can't be too much higher than my 29 though.

I got 27.8 on my last half-tank.. not taking it too easy but not redlining it all the time like I usually do. I was at 213 miles when the gauge said half a tank (shrug)

don't worry, y'all, you too can achieve 37 mpg!

just follow these simple steps:

1.) skip-shift 1-3-5, shifting at 2000rpm
2.) drive at a constant 61 mph
3.) do not use the brakes, ever! (if there is an obstacle in your way, like other traffic, swerve to avoid it - use medians if necessary)
4.) start at the top of a mountain and drive downhill
5.) pay an 18-wheeler to drive 61 mph in front of you so you can draft off of him
6.) hook a chain to the 18-wheeler in front of you and throw it in neutral

(drive)

Revs said:
Gino, the air in Denver will be thinner given the elevation so your 37mpg sounds about right.

At sea level the best I got was 33.7mpg straight highway.

If less pressure meant better mileage one could emulate high elevation by restricting air flow through the intake, which seems a bit counter intuitive. Sea level is about 14.7 psi and Denver is about 12.2 psi. Are you saying that if the intake was modified to restrict air flow into the motor by 20% at sea level the MPG would go up? Or is your point that there's less drag with less air pressure?

nate0123 said:
5.) pay an 18-wheeler to drive 61 mph in front of you so you can draft off of him
6.) hook a chain to the 18-wheeler in front of you and throw it in neutral

7.) drive up into the cargo area of the 18-wheeler and shut off the motor. Infinite MPG!

gino said:
Injen CAI; Racing Mazda 4/2/1 header and midpipe, no cats, Magnaflow CB and 22"x5" resonator; 60mm OBTB; RR-Racing UDP, MP3-flashed ECU, Denso iridiums. 118 whp, 122 lb/ft torque on Dynojet. Every mod dynoed on same unit.

I don't baby it and no, Toucci, I didn't refill the tank; I regularly pull 35+-37+ mpg at 5280 feet. Denver.

So lets talk about which mods and driving habbits actually increase your gas millage to 30-37mpg!? I only get 28 hwy/city on my 5spd and I dont even beat on my car (AT ALL), and usually shift at 2/2.5/3k. So idk what I'm doing wrong... I only have an AEM CAI, and my other mods listed below that prolly wouldn't make a difference. I use regular gas. Gino, help me achieve better gas millage! Cuz this $3/gallon s*** is killing me!

drivethruecp said:
So lets talk about which mods and driving habbits actually increase your gas millage to 30-37mpg!? I only get 28 hwy/city on my 5spd and I dont even beat on my car (AT ALL), and usually shift at 2/2.5/3k. So idk what I'm doing wrong... I only have an AEM CAI, and my other mods listed below that prolly wouldn't make a difference. I use regular gas. Gino, help me achieve better gas millage! Cuz this $3/gallon s*** is killing me!

That is strangely low gas mileage. I know when I had a CAI and the Mazdaspeed axleback I had no probablem getting 34mpg highway and even when on the highway I'll frequently downshift when I pass people to hear the sweet sound of the engine.

i just filled up today 410.2 miles on 13.122 gallons = 31.26 mpg not bad and I never drive over 3krpm.. And im bone stocked

Back