2023 CX-5 Can't update maps

You guys had me second guessing myself. I took it out of the car and the switch is set to LOCK while in the car and works perfectly. In order to update, I slide the switch the other way (unlocked).

Also- the Mazda Toolbox program itself had an update when I opened it today. I went ahead and tried to update my nav card, and it did so as it has the whole time. Interestingly, it said the map update was from 5/23. I am sure I did this update before, so not sure why it is saying I need an update again. I wonder if there will be another map update before my 3 yrs runs out in 5/24.

What happens if the card is inserted into the car in the unlocked position?

I'm 100% certain that the cards that I have inserted in my cars are unlocked and working fine.

Last edited:
When a new OEM SD-card is inserted in the car, after a certain distance (100km?) the card will be "locked" to the VIN-number of the car. When that had happened the SD-card can only be used in that car.
This is only possible when the SD-card is in the unlocked (writable) position.

When a new OEM SD-card is inserted in the car, after a certain distance (100km?) the card will be "locked" to the VIN-number of the car. When that had happened the SD-card can only be used in that car.
This is only possible when the SD-card is in the unlocked (writable) position.
All I can tell you is, my card is locked (registered) to the car (it shows my vin and date of expiration for updates when I use the toolbox update program) but it functions perfectly in the car when the SD card is in the locked position.

yea but it was unlocked when you first inserted it at 0 miles. sometime after that you locked it. Otherwise the licence file cant get saved. Or you got good clone :)

As I it was mentioned the default state is unlocked. Yes people can lock it after the license file is generated but there isnt much sense in locking it at all.Plus you may lose some feature if infotainment wants to store some files on it.
Its your car you can keep it as you wish.

heck I was going to try to update my sd card but apparently I am not even smart enough to figure out how to down load the mazda tool box on my mac.
I tried it again today and it updated my amazon card...to my surprise it updated and works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6024-2.jpg
    IMG_6024-2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6025.jpg
    IMG_6025.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30
Back