37.17 mpg

Since I got the Unichip and the custom tune by JDM, today I hit a new high....454.9~miles for 13.3 gallons....I think that turns into 34.21 miles/gallon...

1 for MSP, 0 for Taliban

Attachments

• 100_2984.JPG
    100_2984.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
drivethruecp said:
So how many gallons do you think I used then... I filled it up...and didn't force more in...so And what do you mean exactly...
just calculate it when you refill - it's worthless to calculate based on the fuel gauge

I always log more miles from full to 1/2 than I do from 1/2 to empty

i can fill up it up past F, and drive it 55 miles before it drops, but when then guage drops, it drops fast. it's pretty predictable now. at 3/4th tank I am between 95-100 miles, 1/2 tank between 195-205 and 1/4th tank between 290-310. going downhills, i keep the car in the highest gear and let it coast...also, with every car ive owned, the warmer out it is - the better the MPG...my economy has gone up a bit since its been warmer here in the north east. it was 80 yeaturday and I probobly got ike 30+ going home.

nate0123 said:
just calculate it when you refill - it's worthless to calculate based on the fuel gauge

I always log more miles from full to 1/2 than I do from 1/2 to empty

yeh, thats what I'm doing...but how many gallons is it at half, and at full left...

I guess you could find out by refilling when you get to exactly 1/2 on the gauge

yeh, just finished my full tank today...still effing 28mpg...what is this s***!? And I even have been doing that 3-5 shifting and whatnot. But no improvement...there must me something else I can do. And the last half of the tank goes soo much faster, I've noticed that since I've gotten the car without even clocking it.

yup i notice the same exact thing, as soon as it is below half it just drops, but im getting 32 with highway driving and 27 with a mix

drivethruecp said:
yeh, just finished my full tank today...still effing 28mpg...what is this s***!? And I even have been doing that 3-5 shifting and whatnot. But no improvement...there must me something else I can do. And the last half of the tank goes soo much faster, I've noticed that since I've gotten the car without even clocking it.

I found that keeping the revs down didn't help my gas mileage at all, it actually hurt it quite a bit. Of course my testing wasn't completely scientific, but I went one week revving as I normally do (frequent redlining), and the next week shifting around 2.5-3k.

The car just doesn't have enough power down low to get moving, especially on hills. Thus, I had to have it floored basically all the time, instead of letting it glide to higher RPMs at partial throttle. It just felt like the car was having a miserable time shifting at such low RPMs.

I got my milage up with the Unichip and the new tune....before that, it was 25~28mpg also.

The car just doesn't have enough power down low to get moving, especially on hills. Thus, I had to have it floored basically all the time, instead of letting it glide to higher RPMs at partial throttle. It just felt like the car was having a miserable time shifting at such low RPMs.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you absolutely right...thats what I did...and no improvemet whatsoever! How are these other proteges and 5's gettting that good then...?

drivethruecp said:
Dude, you absolutely right...thats what I did...and no improvemet whatsoever! How are these other proteges and 5's gettting that good then...?

How long is your commute? I get terrible gas mileage while in Rochester because I'm never driving for more than 8 minutes, and those 8 minutes are just going from light to light getting to campus and back to my apartment. Short trips are no good for gas mileage.

I got 35mpg (with header, CAI, cat-back, UDP) driving on the highway from home to school once, and that was with a bike rack and mountain bike chillin on top of my car.

I can't wait to see (in less than two weeks) what kind of mileage I'll get with 205 instead of 215 width tires, and a new cat-back, midpipe, FS-ZE intake cam, and MP3 ecu. Hopefully I can still get around the same gas mileage on the highway.

gino said:
Injen CAI; Racing Mazda 4/2/1 header and midpipe, no cats, Magnaflow CB and 22"x5" resonator; 60mm OBTB; RR-Racing UDP, MP3-flashed ECU, Denso iridiums. 118 whp, 122 lb/ft torque on Dynojet. Every mod dynoed on same unit.

So which of these mod's are giving that kind of gas millage?? I dont really wanna get the catback...I'm not down wit that sound... I've wanted the headers..but that wont do s*** with a stock exhaust, will it?

How long is your commute? I get terrible gas mileage while in Rochester because I'm never driving for more than 8 minutes, and those 8 minutes are just going from light to light getting to campus and back to my apartment. Short trips are no good for gas mileage.

I got 35mpg (with header, CAI, cat-back, UDP) driving on the highway from home to school once, and that was with a bike rack and mountain bike chillin on top of my car.

Well I drive 10miles to work each way...and school is 25 miles each way on the parkway...so I do a considerable amount of highway, but also city.

Whats the best way to go about the UDP, sorry but I don't really know much about em. Doesn't it hurt the life of you car and all..? Is there any way to put a high flow exhaust without any noise? I always liked the CorkSport Power Series' but never heard a sound clip on it.

Last edited:
drivethruecp said:
So which of these mod's are giving that kind of gas millage?? I dont really wanna get the catback...I'm not down wit that sound... I've wanted the headers..but that wont do s*** with a stock exhaust, will it?

Well I drive 10miles to work each way...and school is 25 miles each way on the parkway...so I do a considerable amount of highway, but also city.

Whats the best way to go about the UDP, sorry but I don't really know much about em. Doesn't it hurt the life of you car and all..? Is there any way to put a high flow exhaust without any noise? I always liked the CorkSport Power Series' but never heard a sound clip on it.

The corksport is one of the loudest. All you can do without making the car "loud" is get like the Racing Beat cat-back. With header it isn't even very loud, and with midpipe and header it's only loud when you get on it, not on the highway.

i drove 252 miles on 7.0 gallons. 36.0 MPG. cleaned my air filter friday and drove between 70-80 on the highway and did a little city and spirited driving with NEPOC people yesterday. very happy with these numbers......

KanseiZM said:
I found that keeping the revs down didn't help my gas mileage at all, it actually hurt it quite a bit. Of course my testing wasn't completely scientific, but I went one week revving as I normally do (frequent redlining), and the next week shifting around 2.5-3k.

The car just doesn't have enough power down low to get moving, especially on hills. Thus, I had to have it floored basically all the time, instead of letting it glide to higher RPMs at partial throttle. It just felt like the car was having a miserable time shifting at such low RPMs.

I've noticed my MPG doesn't change if i shift at a lower rev either. If you are shifting at a lower RPM, the engine has to work harder to move the car thus using more gas. with the higher RPM's, the engine may not be having to push as hard as it would if it was in 4th gear at 30 mph.

Think of it as a multi-geared bike. at a lower gear u have to push REAL hard to move the bike - thus using more energy. In a higher gear, less energy is exerted... am i making sense?

Watch - as the weather gets warmer, fuel economy will go up. im at about 33 mpg now with just a K&N high flow.

pfive said:
Think of it as a multi-geared bike. at a lower gear u have to push REAL hard to move the bike - thus using more energy. In a higher gear, less energy is exerted... am i making sense?

Yeah that's precisely the logic I used. It really is the same thing in principal. If I'm a couple gears too low or too high for the incline/surface or my speed, I'll know right away because I will have to expend more energy to get going. Once I'm at speed of course I stay in my top gear (of 24) and it is easy to keep going.

Oh Ryan those are great numbers especially considering the Cape Cod cruise was counted in for that. I cleaned my air filter maybe two months ago so I'm not going to check it until I have the bumper or front wheel off for something else (damn you CAI filter being so hidden).

This week's driving theme for me for the purposes of testing gas mileage is "carefree and light". I'll still be driving spirited, but letting the RPMs climb as they may with just partial throttle. I'll just let the car be happy :)

Back