1st oil change????

mixmasterlove

Contributor
Has anyone done thier 1st oil change at 1000 miles? I always do it after the initial break in then 5000, 10000, 15000.. itc

Was going back and forth on this as well.

From what I've read, certain manufacturers like Honda put in a special break-in oil in the factory that is meant to be left in for the first 5k-7.5k or whatever the regular interval is. Not sure if Mazda does the same.

My original intention was to change it out after break-in at 600 miles.

The regular Mazda w/moly oil has so much moly in it I can't imagine that they use a break-in oil.

Somewhat relevant to this thread. First oil changes are free of charge from Mazda, right?

Was going back and forth on this as well.

From what I've read, certain manufacturers like Honda put in a special break-in oil in the factory that is meant to be left in for the first 5k-7.5k or whatever the regular interval is. Not sure if Mazda does the same.

My original intention was to change it out after break-in at 600 miles.

The regular Mazda w/moly oil has so much moly in it I can't imagine that they use a break-in oil.
Question. ... what is "moly"

Thanks... thanks good to know. Know I know to use their oil not just any synthetic (I thought I saw in the manual that they recommended castrol 0-20 synthetic)

Anytime. Yeah, the manual recommends both their own oil as well as the Castrol, but they say that using the Mazda w/ moly is necessary to get maximum fuel economy.

The oil seems to be pretty popular with the oil junkies over on the bobistheoilguy forums. Seems like really good stuff.

Thanks... thanks good to know. Know I know to use their oil not just any synthetic (I thought I saw in the manual that they recommended castrol 0-20 synthetic)

I think the manual was written before the oil was available...

I was told and also read that it's best to wait until about 5000 miles before your first oil change. I have a '14 Mazda 6 and will most likely wait until 5K miles before changing out the oil.

^Best? No. One can never change their oil too early if their wallet allows.

I was told and also read that it's best to wait until about 5000 miles before your first oil change. I have a '14 Mazda 6 and will most likely wait until 5K miles before changing out the oil.
I don't know about that... I'm gonna call my friend who is the service manager where I bought my CX-9 and CX-5, cause I've always done my "1st" at 1000 miles.

Somewhat relevant to this thread. First oil changes are free of charge from Mazda, right?

is the first oil change free? I don't remember the dealer telling me that. maybe I'll call, I'm at 5500 miles right now, about to do it myself then saw this post

Mazda pays for the 1st service, any free after are up to the dealer and at their expense. This is for all mazdas.

Yeah, really nice. I wanted the Moly oil from the bottles and the dealer said they would throw that in for free too. This was not negotiated at the time of purchase so a very nice surprise.

Back