Just received the recall notice for fuel pump

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Just got the recall letter for the low pressure fuel pump. The notice does say that they do not have the parts yet, and another letter will be sent when parts become available. Did any of you guys receive the letter yet?

there was a forum thread on this one from a month ago. In short , yes. Everyone with 2018 and early 2019 is receiving the paper mail notice.
Even the Turbo models from first 2019.
No parts available yet, checked last week again.
So sit tight and wait. The pump replacement steps are available (not very easy swap but doable). Most important is when time comes to go to the dealer to have almost empty fuel tank. Otherwise if the tank is full its a big pain and lots of spills probably.

there was a forum thread on this one from a month ago. In short , yes. Everyone with 2018 and early 2019 is receiving the paper mail notice.
Even the Turbo models from first 2019.
No parts available yet, checked last week again.
So sit tight and wait. The pump replacement steps are available (not very easy swap but doable). Most important is when time comes to go to the dealer to have almost empty fuel tank. Otherwise if the tank is full its a big pain and lots of spills probably.
I wonder what’s the difference on low pressure fiuel pump between those subject to recall and pre-2018 and after early 2019 MY’s. Is it design change or quality issue on production batch? Why can Mazda just use current low pressure fuel pump for replacement parts on recall?

If Mazda is going to replace this low pressure fuel pump which is subject to recall, is it going to be just the pump only, or the entire sending unit which includes low pressure fuel pump、pre-filtering screen、and fuel filter where they all are inside of fuel tank?

So if its the same Denso fuel pump that has been known to be an issue for a long time, why did it take Mazda over a year to notify owners compared to Toyota?

I wonder what’s the difference on low pressure fiuel pump between those subject to recall and pre-2018 and after early 2019 MY’s. Is it design change or quality issue on production batch? Why can Mazda just use current low pressure fuel pump for replacement parts on recall?

If Mazda is going to replace this low pressure fuel pump which is subject to recall, is it going to be just the pump only, or the entire sending unit which includes low pressure fuel pump、pre-filtering screen、and fuel filter where they all are inside of fuel tank?

its the pump only that is being replaced. That is also the cheapest option for them.
Which is full disassembly of the entire fuel assembly unit that sits in the tank, changing with a new pump and then reassembly of the whole thing back.
According to unofficial information there was a bad batch (read quality issue) in the manufacturing (Denso is the pump manufscturer) and the plastic is prone to issues due to ethanol concentrations in the fuel. Over time of course not immediately. Again this is unnoficial. There is no direct official root cause given.

Last edited:
I wonder what’s the difference on low pressure fuel pump between those subject to recall and pre-2018 and after early 2019 MY’s. Is it design change or quality issue on production batch?
In the case of the Subaru recall, it's a manufacturing process issue, "impellers over-exposed to a drying solvent during manufacturing," according to the following link:

Toyota/Lexus recalls stretch back to 2013's and ahead to 2020's. This raises all kinds of possibilities including multiple unrelated problems with or without different Denso model pumps with or without different manufacturing plants.

So if its the same Denso fuel pump that has been known to be an issue for a long time, why did it take Mazda over a year to notify owners compared to Toyota.

Is it the same Denso fuel pump as the Toyota? Are all Denso recalls for the same pump for the same reason? Are all Denso pumps of a particular model being recalled or only specific production runs? I don't see where these things have been established in these pages and that link above is as deep as I'm going to dive since these questions are probably unanswerable.

Maybe Denso is a generally lousy builder of fuel pumps. Some would say the same of their transmissions. Didn't Mazda dump Denso for transmissions and started building their own?

Safety recalls start with failure incidents followed by a considerable amount of backtracking detective work and product testing to figure out which models and production runs might be affected. I would not assume Mazda was foot-dragging. Maybe Denso was foot dragging. Maybe there was no foot dragging at all.

Consider the Takata airbag recall--100,000.000 vehicles and counting stretched over several years. It takes time to sort out the good from the bad in which applications whatever the issue may be.

Can you tell me when Toyota determined some 2013 fuel pumps were bad? It looks to me like it was 2020. Was that foot dragging?

So far, I'm lucky. The 2020 2.5L normally aspirated has had no recalls, pretty rare these days across the industry for a two year old. I'm not holding my breath, though, as more incidents may extend this fuel pump recall forward to 2020, or a cracked cylinder head showing up at some point for that matter. So far, so good, is about all one can expect regardless or who makes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
all those are for low pressure fuel pump recall.
I dont think they determined it in 2013. The recall evolved and more models were just added dating back to 2013 production dates.
If I am not mistaken they started noticing it sometime in 2019.
It is true though that Mazda is the last to issue the recall. After Toyota, Honda, etc

998E86D3-1824-4ADF-95AB-8CFB3124663B.jpeg

I dont think they determined it in 2013. The recall evolved and more models were just added dating back to 2013 production dates.
If I am not mistaken they started noticing it sometime in 2019.
It is true though that Mazda is the last to issue the recall. After Toyota, Honda, etc

View attachment 306670
Lexus recalls go back to 2013 models. A Lexus is a Toyota as far as I'm concerned.

While Mazda may be later to the game I can only reiterate that you should not jump to a conclusion that Mazda was foot dragging. Maybe they did, maybe there is a very good reason they joined in later.

September 17, 2019: Mazda decided to conduct a recall for the purpose of confirming the root cause of the defect on CX-5 in China.
August 20, 2020: Mazda received the first field information on MY2019 CX-9 from the U.S market, reporting the vehicle experienced a lack of power due to this defect.
September, 2020 through January, 2021: Mazda recognized this failure was beginning to increase in some countries other than the U.S.
August, 2021: Mazda recognized this failure was beginning to increase on a certain vehicles in Europe.
September 1, 2021: Mazda received the fourth field information on MY2018 CX-5 from the U.S market, reporting that fuel pressure was reduced

seems there were simply not that many reported issues in US until sometime in 2021.

In the case of the Subaru recall, it's a manufacturing process issue, "impellers over-exposed to a drying solvent during manufacturing," according to the following link:

Toyota/Lexus recalls stretch back to 2013's and ahead to 2020's. This raises all kinds of possibilities including multiple unrelated problems with or without different Denso model pumps with or without different manufacturing plants.

Is it the same Denso fuel pump as the Toyota? Are all Denso recalls for the same pump for the same reason? Are all Denso pumps of a particular model being recalled or only specific production runs? I don't see where these things have been established in these pages and that link above is as deep as I'm going to dive since these questions are probably unanswerable.

Maybe Denso is a generally lousy builder of fuel pumps. Some would say the same of their transmissions. Didn't Mazda dump Denso for transmissions and started building their own?

Safety recalls start with failure incidents followed by a considerable amount of backtracking detective work and product testing to figure out which models and production runs might be affected. I would not assume Mazda was foot-dragging. Maybe Denso was foot dragging. Maybe there was no foot dragging at all.

Consider the Takata airbag recall--100,000.000 vehicles and counting stretched over several years. It takes time to sort out the good from the bad in which applications whatever the issue may be.

Can you tell me when Toyota determined some 2013 fuel pumps were bad? It looks to me like it was 2020. Was that foot dragging?

So far, I'm lucky. The 2020 2.5L normally aspirated has had no recalls, pretty rare these days across the industry for a two year old. I'm not holding my breath, though, as more incidents may extend this fuel pump recall forward to 2020, or a cracked cylinder head showing up at some point for that matter. So far, so good, is about all one can expect regardless or who makes it.
Wasn't aware that Denso even made transmissions. Aisin Warner perhaps.

Wasn't aware that Denso even made transmissions. Aisin Warner perhaps.
I stand corrected. Denso makes peripheral transmission components, not units in toto. JATCO, not Denso, is what I was thinking of.

I stand corrected. Denso makes peripheral transmission components, not units in toto. JATCO, not Denso, is what I was thinking of.
JATCO? Didn't they make the CVT transmissions that Nissan has had so much trouble with?

JATCO? Didn't they make the CVT transmissions that Nissan has had so much trouble with?
I'm not up on that. I was correcting myself about Mazda having used Denso transmissions--it was JATCO before they started building their own.

In-house production at Mazda​

Automakers are shifting from ATs to CVTs for small vehicles in Japan and other markets. However, Mazda has developed the 6-speed Skyactiv-Drive AT that is mated with new engines by using Mazda's unique Skyactiv Technology. Mazda currently produces the 6-speed Skyactiv-Drive AT for gasoline and diesel engines, and mounted it on the CX-5, Atenza, and Axela. 4-speed and 5-speed ATs are also produced in-house. Mazda procures 6-speed ATs from Aisin AW, but is gradually replacing the ATs with Skyactiv-Drive ATs as the automaker fully redesigns its models.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.13.04 PM.png

In-house production at Mazda​

Automakers are shifting from ATs to CVTs for small vehicles in Japan and other markets. However, Mazda has developed the 6-speed Skyactiv-Drive AT that is mated with new engines by using Mazda's unique Skyactiv Technology. Mazda currently produces the 6-speed Skyactiv-Drive AT for gasoline and diesel engines, and mounted it on the CX-5, Atenza, and Axela. 4-speed and 5-speed ATs are also produced in-house. Mazda procures 6-speed ATs from Aisin AW, but is gradually replacing the ATs with Skyactiv-Drive ATs as the automaker fully redesigns its models.

View attachment 306705
Getting way off topic but this list is from 2014. Mazda's use of JATCO transmissions predated 2014.

We just got our letter yesterday too. Anyone considering NOT having the recall done? I hate when the dealer takes things apart. Don't trust them to put it back together correctly!

We just got our letter yesterday too. Anyone considering NOT having the recall done? I hate when the dealer takes things apart. Don't trust them to put it back together correctly!
Agreed. You can wait as long as you want until the low pressure fuel pump is actually failed to perform the recall, as performing a recall has no time limit.

Weigh the odds and possible outcomes of getting it done or not.

Not doing it argument:
  • The number of reported incidents of failure may be quite low as is often the case with safety recalls. I've not seen the Mazda data but Subaru reported 35 incidents out of 200,000 vehicles subject to recall.
  • The possibility the dealership will mess it up.
Doing it argument:
  • The number of incidents may rise as these vehicles age increasing the odds of your vehicle being affected.
  • The repair is not rocket science. It's not like they'll be tearing into the engine or transmission or trying to resolve some computer or electrical gremlin. Drain the fuel tank, drop the tank, swap in what is likely the identical pump (sans manufacturing process flaw) with the same hook-ups. And that's assuming the tank even needs to be dropped. Is the pump accessible through the floorboard? Dunno, but not a complicated fix either way.
  • If you do happen to be an unlikely victim and the vehicle stalls you could find yourself in a dangerous position.
  • If you get the call to bring the car in because the part is now available and you decline, do you go to the back of the line with supply trickling into dealers? If the pump then fails how long will you have to wait to get it fixed?
Personally, if this recall is extended to my vehicle, I'll take get into the dealership as soon as the part is available.

If there's a chance your fuel pump isn't actually defective I would postpone or forget it. If you are sure the pump is affected of course get it, but you're right about the inconvenience and possible screw up.

Back