Strange Brake Pad Wear

However; according to this TSB, the procedure does say these areas need to apply some “white grease”. Although this TSB is for gen-2 CX-9, but CX-5 2.5T’s do have exactly the same front bakes.

TSB No.: 04-004/20 CLICK OR SQUEAK NOISE FROM FRONT BRAKES
The two points do make contact with the backing of the pads and from my experience with Hondas they required grease/lube. So I guess if its not making noise/vibrations then we can skip it for gen 2 21 cx-5 GTR?

Don’t believe Mazda sells any OEM “rubber grease” for caliper pins mentioned in the factory workshop manual. I’ve been using AGS Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound for caliper slider pins. It has been recommended by many:

Lube those caliper bolt pins!

Rear brakes gone at 15k..

Grease for brake caliper pin?

And this one said the best:

Mazda does sell caliper grease, under part number 0000-77-XG3A

More than you ever want to know about caliper grease: Guide calipers: how and what to lubricate. Review and lubricant characteristics for guide calipers: What better to use Toyotovskaya grease for calipers

thank you. nice find.

20210711_234016.jpg

So its best to stick to Mazda silicone grease?
Not really IMO, especially the Factory Workshop Manual doesn’t give you any part no. for “rubber grease”. Any reputable rubber friendly silicone caliper grease should be fine. This’s what I’ve been using:

F7B33F03-5C41-40A1-9FB9-965B3830A3A4.jpeg

I only recommend synthetic lube specifically made for high temperature brake usage. I have used Sil-Glyde for many years without fail. If you go to an auto store, they should have it, or similar on their counter.
9c7db42859346e6b9603f8c3cda074a8.jpg

Last edited:
Not really IMO, especially the Factory Workshop Manual doesn’t give you any part no. for “rubber grease”. Any reputable rubber friendly silicone caliper grease should be fine. This’s what I’ve been using:
Mazda Factory Workshop Manual for gen-2 CX-5 does mention “Niglube RX-2” orange rubber grease for single piston caliper front brakes (2.5L) and rear brakes, and “Cosmo” pink rubber grease for dual-piston caliper front brakes (2.5T).

Molykote 7439 brown anti-rattle brake grease is used only on single piston caliper front brakes for 2.5L.

Niglube RX-2 rubber grease seems to be mentioned by many Subaru owners with Subaru part no. 003606000 and it’ll come with brake pad kit like Honda but not from Mazda.

D86B1045-2A77-45F0-B67B-724E4A14B476.jpeg

A34394D6-9E6F-4CBE-AC4E-12FE43E762E1.jpeg

3448E94C-208F-4571-A026-DE7EBC75845C.jpeg

Mazda Factory Workshop Manual for gen-2 CX-5 does mention “Niglube RX-2” orange rubber grease for single piston caliper front brakes (2.5L) and rear brakes, and “Cosmo” pink rubber grease for dual-piston caliper front brakes (2.5T).

Molykote 7439 brown anti-rattle brake grease is used only on single piston caliper front brakes for 2.5L.

Niglube RX-2 rubber grease seems to be mentioned by many Subaru owners with Subaru part no. 003606000 and it’ll come with brake pad kit like Honda but not from Mazda.

View attachment 301084

View attachment 301085

View attachment 301086
Are there revised/updated versions of the “Mazda factory repair manual” maybe thats why its so confusing? LOL.

Btw may I ask you where you got the factory repair manual so I can get one too? Thanks

View attachment 301084

View attachment 301085

View attachment 301086
Oh yeah I am using Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme and its orange colored on my Honda and Nissan:
1626105782187.png

Are there revised/updated versions of the “Mazda factory repair manual” maybe thats why its so confusing? LOL.

Btw may I ask you where you got the factory repair manual so I can get one too? Thanks
I’d follow the newer procedure on front brake job for dual-piston caliper front brake job outlined in that CX-9 TSB instead of older Factory Workshop Manual. As those info I basically collected it from the forum one by one since I’m with the forum for a while, and also from here:

Workshop Manuals for 2018 CX-5

But the above post for 2018 CX-5 workshop manual isn’t complete and doesn’t have most powertrain components.

For gen-1 CX-5 many members here use this from mcx5.org:

Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual

I have a 2018 CX-5. 17,000 miles, 3/4 driven on long trips, in flat country. the other 1/4 on flat city trips, DC area. At around 9,000 miles I had to replace the back left brake pads and rotors, the mechanic said he thought it may have been cause by winter road salt getting in there. Some of that but not a huge amount around there. Now just replaced the front left brake pads and rotors, worn down nearly bare. The mechanic who looked at that said the caliper was sticking seriously (though I had had no problem braking and recommended replacement). Regular mechanic says they see no sign of sticking. Kinda at a loss of what to think -- Mazda pads/rotors suck? Just a caliper lube issue? Something more?

I have a 2018 CX-5. 17,000 miles, 3/4 driven on long trips, in flat country. the other 1/4 on flat city trips, DC area. At around 9,000 miles I had to replace the back left brake pads and rotors, the mechanic said he thought it may have been cause by winter road salt getting in there. Some of that but not a huge amount around there. Now just replaced the front left brake pads and rotors, worn down nearly bare. The mechanic who looked at that said the caliper was sticking seriously (though I had had no problem braking and recommended replacement). Regular mechanic says they see no sign of sticking. Kinda at a loss of what to think -- Mazda pads/rotors suck? Just a caliper lube issue? Something more?
If it’s sticking calipers then the wheels will be very hot. Normally it would be warm to the touch. Did you take off the wheel and check the two pins if moving freely and lubed?
or
The piston is stuck.

This is the stuff I use on all of my cars. Not only for the brake pins, but it works wonders as a dielectric grease for the electrical connectors, spark plugs and battery terminals as well.
1626253047850.png

Uneven brake wear is a big topic on this forum for many years. I'm on my second CX5 and have seen uneven brake wear on both of them. When I bought my second one new, I took the front calipers off and lubed everything up good, still got uneven brake wear 20k miles later. I just chalk it up to a Mazda thing. By all means check the pin lube but don't be surprised if it happens again.

Uneven brake wear is a big topic on this forum for many years. I'm on my second CX5 and have seen uneven brake wear on both of them. When I bought my second one new, I took the front calipers off and lubed everything up good, still got uneven brake wear 20k miles later. I just chalk it up to a Mazda thing. By all means check the pin lube but don't be surprised if it happens again.
It could be the Stability Control working in tandum with ABS and Traction System as you turn the weight can possibly cause the inner/outter pads to wear differently. Example, heavy left turn can shift the weight on the right outer pads which the Stability and/or Traction System automatically applies.

edit
From my 21 GTR owners manual the Stability Control and Traction Control automatically applies the brakes and controls engine torque. So that is a possibility that they were out at 20k and uneven pad wear.

I have a 2019 signature and I am very disapointed with the brake system on that car. Noticed they they started squealing at drive through around 12K...they told me it's because high quality pad. Well ok, it went away with the time. At my first clean up at 24k I mentionned cling cling sound when I get at home and set to reverse then release brake to drive backward to park. Brake pad loose in the assembly so they changed some shim. About 3 or 4 week later, it started to cling cling again and it became very loud until my next oil change and could be recreated each time I drive reverse, then forward, then reverse. They were about to change the pad but they got info from mazda technical deparment they need to glue or put some silicon on the pad. It fixed the noise quite well and no problem until the next brake cleanup (I do it after each winter and was at 48k anyway. They told me pad are loose they need to change the shim. Start to argue with them it's getting ridiculous and they investigate and got a procedure from the mazda technical deparment saying they need to hammer punch both side of the pad so it doesnt *excessively play in the support* to use the words they used. The mechanical told me every CX-5 with turbo tend to have that issue. No brake pad replacement or wathever it call that hold (guide) the pad replacement would fix that. Called Mazda Canada and told them that putting a band aid on a design problem doesn't seem to be a solution. So I would not be suprised to have uneven wearing on my pad anytime soon since after all, it's not factory made, but rather depend on the guy that punched the pad. I'm considering checking on legal procedure and/or fill a complain to transportation at this point. That even brand new brake pads need to be modify to not move excessively in the support doesn't seem to be an adequate anwser for me...

Actually the TSB yrwei52 shared with us explain exactly the problem I have and the procedure they made at summer 2020 when I had about 32K. For the same issue 6 or 8 month after, they got a new procedure to hammer the side of the pad....doesn't smell good at all.

I have a 2019 signature and I am very disapointed with the brake system on that car. Noticed they they started squealing at drive through around 12K...they told me it's because high quality pad. Well ok, it went away with the time. At my first clean up at 24k I mentionned cling cling sound when I get at home and set to reverse then release brake to drive backward to park. Brake pad loose in the assembly so they changed some shim. About 3 or 4 week later, it started to cling cling again and it became very loud until my next oil change and could be recreated each time I drive reverse, then forward, then reverse. They were about to change the pad but they got info from mazda technical deparment they need to glue or put some silicon on the pad. It fixed the noise quite well and no problem until the next brake cleanup (I do it after each winter and was at 48k anyway. They told me pad are loose they need to change the shim. Start to argue with them it's getting ridiculous and they investigate and got a procedure from the mazda technical deparment saying they need to hammer punch both side of the pad so it doesnt *excessively play in the support* to use the words they used. The mechanical told me every CX-5 with turbo tend to have that issue. No brake pad replacement or wathever it call that hold (guide) the pad replacement would fix that. Called Mazda Canada and told them that putting a band aid on a design problem doesn't seem to be a solution. So I would not be suprised to have uneven wearing on my pad anytime soon since after all, it's not factory made, but rather depend on the guy that punched the pad. I'm considering checking on legal procedure and/or fill a complain to transportation at this point. That even brand new brake pads need to be modify to not move excessively in the support doesn't seem to be an adequate anwser for me...

Actually the TSB yrwei52 shared with us explain exactly the problem I have and the procedure they made at summer 2020 when I had about 32K. For the same issue 6 or 8 month after, they got a new procedure to hammer the side of the pad....doesn't smell good at all.
and if that procedure doesn't work they'll probably recommend a BFH....

It is totally BS that “every CX-5 with turbo tend to have the issue” - it is rare. I’m sorry it has happened to you.

Back