US Diesel's big splash introduction

Nothing wrong with any of those. :)

Nope, although I think 9mm, .22, and 5.56 are about to become REALLY hot commodities. If it even looks like Trump won't run/won't be elected in 2020, I predict we are going to see similar situations as to what we saw post-Newtown, because of all the reactionary purchases.

Nope, although I think 9mm, .22, and 5.56 are about to become REALLY hot commodities. If it even looks like Trump won't run/won't be elected in 2020, I predict we are going to see similar situations as to what we saw post-Newtown, because of all the reactionary purchases.
Yep...it was crazy out here for guns and ammo too. And in 2013 when the bozos in Denver passed magazine limits (15 rounds I think?).

Sorry to be a pain but the Car and Driver links do not work for me as I'm in the UK presumably. I get the message "Sorry, this content is not available in your region" This is supposed to be the WORLD wide web. Would any peeps mind copying and pasting the web pages referred to as I feel left out. :(

Sorry to be a pain but the Car and Driver links do not work for me as I'm in the UK presumably. I get the message "Sorry, this content is not available in your region" This is supposed to be the WORLD wide web. Would any peeps mind copying and pasting the web pages referred to as I feel left out. :(

Funny, we here in North America get the same error message from Mazda when we try to access the CX5 diesel.

The CX5 diesel MPG numbers are not that great. They are almost equal with the gasoline version. Why would people pay more $$ for something that gets identical fuel mileage? Then you have to pay for diesel additive and higher maintenance costs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-mazda-cx-5-diesel-fuel-economy-is-not-good

You know, that used to be my opinion too. But then I read somewhere that for 70 mph driving, the diesel CX-5 would get in the 40s MPG. So it might be an issue of EPA ratings underselling the benefit. Trying to find the link.

If true, I can see a market for a diesel CX-5 in the US. However, the EPA numbers will absolutely ruin any chance of success. Few buyers will do enough research to know the EPA numbers are crap (if true). For this reason, I think Mazda gave up on the idea. Nevermind the fact that 3 engine options doesnt really fit Mazdas minimalist buying scheme.

Last edited:
You know, that used to be my opinion too. But then I read somewhere that for 70 mph driving, the diesel CX-5 would get in the 40*s MPG. So it might be an issue of EPA ratings underselling the benefit. Trying to find the link.

If true, I can see a market for a diesel CX-5 in the US. However, the EPA numbers will absolutely ruin any chance of success. Few buyers will do enough research to know the EPA numbers are crap (if true). For this reason, I think Mazda gave up on the idea. Nevermind the fact that 3 engine options doesn*t really fit Mazda*s minimalist buying scheme.

I drove the turbo 2.5 in a 6, and id be stoked to see that instead of the oilburner.

Government regulations preventing access. Not good

Unfortunately, it's the decision by 2018 Hearst Communications, Inc who own Car and Driver, not to comply with the General Data Protection Regulations to safeguard users data. (In other words they can't be bothered). So it's easier to exclude the EU instead, which is very insular. Organisations have had 2 years to prepare for this(hand)

The CX5 diesel MPG numbers are not that great and diesel in non-trucks is DEAD in the USA. Diesel-gate from VW sealed the fate of diesel vehicles. The US market is not interested in diesel.

Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars with the diesel development. It started back in 2010 and A LOT has happened in the USA since then. Mazda lost millions in the USA market with failed release dates and promises that never happened. I wish it would have succeeded but it's too late and if Mazda is smart, it will just take their losses and walk away from a diesel release in the USA. They might be too far it to back out but I guarantee the diesel sales in the USA will be a miserable failure. Maybe 3% of all CX5's solid in the USA will have a diesel.

The CX5 diesel MPG numbers are not that great and diesel in non-trucks is DEAD in the USA. Diesel-gate from VW sealed the fate of diesel vehicles. The US market is not interested in diesel.

Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars with the diesel development. It started back in 2010 and A LOT has happened in the USA since then. Mazda lost millions in the USA market with failed release dates and promises that never happened. I wish it would have succeeded but it's too late and if Mazda is smart, it will just take their losses and walk away from a diesel release in the USA. They might be too far it to back out but I guarantee the diesel sales in the USA will be a miserable failure. Maybe 3% of all CX5's solid in the USA will have a diesel.
I agree.

For Mazda, its the very disappointing EPA FE rating on diesel CX-5 sealed the fate.

I checked today when filling up, Diesel ath the local Exxon is 53 cents per gallon more than Regular 87. so say an average fill up of 11 gallons, that would come out to $5.53 extra per week, or a bit under $300 a year.

If the highway number was at or near 40 mpg, I could see the Diesel model selling, but the numbers they posted it sure does look DOA.

I checked today when filling up, Diesel ath the local Exxon is 53 cents per gallon more than Regular 87. so say an average fill up of 11 gallons, that would come out to $5.53 extra per week, or a bit under $300 a year.

If the highway number was at or near 40 mpg, I could see the Diesel model selling, but the numbers they posted it sure does look DOA.

It's nowhere near 40mpg. The diesel only shows 3mpg more than the gasoline version. Who will pay more $$ for a diesel, thousands more, then pay more $$ for diesel fuel. All for 3mpg? Not going to happen.

Mazda will have to take a loss on US diesel release and maybe offer the diesel for the same price as for the 2.5T gas version.

Car & Driver said it best:

Mazda has yet to confirm when Americans might actually buy a CX-5 diesel*seriously, we've been sweet-talked into thinking this could happen for eight years and now, we are wondering if any Americans will. The Environmental Protection Agency published its estimates for a 2018 CX-5 diesel at 28 mpg city and 31 mpg highway for the front-wheel drive version and 27/30 mpg with all-wheel drive. Compared to the gasoline version, city mileage improves by just 3 mpg for both diesels. Highway mileage, normally the reason anyone buys a diesel, improves not at all.

Making matters worse is that the CX-5 diesel's direct competitor, the Chevrolet Equinox diesel, matches or betters the CX-5 in the city and trounces it on the highway, at either 39 mpg (front-wheel drive) or 38 mpg.

Last edited:
Back