My oil consumption

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I carefully measured my CX5 2.5L engine oil consumption for the last 5,955 (6,000 miles) when I did my oil change. My engine consumed 6 oz (0.1875 Quarts) of 0w20 PP oil in ~ 6,000 miles. This for an easy driver in a small city. Ed

I carefully measured my CX5 2.5L engine oil consumption for the last 5,955 (6,000 miles) when I did my oil change. My engine consumed 6 oz (0.1875 Quarts) of 0w20 PP oil in ~ 6,000 miles. This for an easy driver in a small city. Ed

Thanks for the info!
How did you measure your oil consumption with such accuracy?

I noticed after latest oil change I only let it drain for about 30 minutes versus the overnight drain of the previous oil change. I also changed on Rhino ramps. I do notice after this latest oil change that oil level even with 5 quarts is quite close to the fill mark versus the more noticeable lower level of the overnight drain.

erhayes: How many miles do you have on your CX-5?

Wow, overnight drain? I'll do this way only in my dream! I wonder how many people will do oil change with such dedication! Many people even installed Fumoto oil drain valve just to save time and for convenience. Not knowing the valve will prevent oil and other things got totally drained out due to its long thread!

IMO...not concerned about token amount with Fumoto :) I wouldn't normally do an overnight but it was late, car was in locked garage and I had other matters to attend to at the time.

Between all the vehicles, powersports equipment, gas powered yard equipment and generators.. any time savings is appreciated on the maintenance front. :)

Last edited:
I noticed after latest oil change I only let it drain for about 30 minutes versus the overnight drain of the previous oil change. I also changed on Rhino ramps. I do notice after this latest oil change that oil level even with 5 quarts is quite close to the fill mark versus the more noticeable lower level of the overnight drain.
Wow, overnight drain? I'll do this way only in my dream! I wonder how many people will do oil change with such dedication! Many people even installed Fumoto oil drain valve just to save time and for convenience. Not knowing the valve will prevent oil and other things got totally drained out due to its long thread!

May be the car is not leveled playing more role than we thought preventing oil got totally drained out...

I marked the dip stick when I changed the oil. After 6,000 miles, I added one once at a time every 10 minutes until the mark on the dipstick was reached. That is how I measured my consumption. Ed

I have only one vehicle and therefor I want to be able to GO NOW in case of an emergency. I let it drain till it drips and reinstall the plug. Ed

Please keep us posted at your next oil change... if it holds at that consumption over time not a big deal... only disconcerting if it continues to get worse.

ABOUT 1 oz PER 1,000 Miles is great. That equates to one quart in 32,000 miles. Yes, Kedis, I will keep an eye on it :))

really 6 oz is nothing to be concerned about that is within specs .
The manufactures will tell you 1 quart of oil consumption per 800~1,000 miles is within spec! To me, I don't like any oil consumption while the car is new. Our '98 Honda CR-V uses no oil during each 5,000-mile oil change when it was new. The same on our 2000 BMW 528i. At 170K miles the CR-V now consumes about 1/4 quarts of oil per 5,000 miles.

If you're really concerned about it you could try another brand. I use about a half quart at 6500 miles with the Mazda moly, but with the Mobile 1, consumption is nonexistent. Do some research with the numbers like NOACK, flash point, kinematic viscosity, etc.

If you're really concerned about it you could try another brand.

He doesn't sound concerned at all (nor should he be). He actually sounds quite pleased that it hardly uses any oil at all.

Gads. I posted this for information and to confirm that my CX5 2.5 doesn't consume any real amount of oil. I am overly pleased to have an engine that uses one QUART in 32,000 miles equivalent. Sounds like some don't have a clue concerning reasonable oil consumption. Ed

'84 Cordia Turbo I had as a kid used 1 quart every 150 miles... it leaked external, via valve guide seals and probably in the turbo bearings as well. It left a lifetime scar when any mention of oil usage is discussed...even healthy amounts. :)

'84 Cordia Turbo I had as a kid used 1 quart every 150 miles... it leaked external, via valve guide seals and probably in the turbo bearings as well. It left a lifetime scar when any mention of oil usage is discussed...even healthy amounts. :)
Same here. After our 2001 VW Passat started burning 1 quart of oil per 1K miles since we bought it new, and been told that was normal and VW was not going to do anything to fix it, I'm paranoid about any oil consumptions from a new car.

I documented my 2014 Subrau Forester's Oil Consumption in a bunch of Videos
9118 - 12158 mi 0.3qt in 2000 miles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XAPUyQfaY
12158 - 13993 mi 0.75 - 0.8 qt in 1834 miles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcM3kyLZsw
14060 - 14526 mi .75 QT in ~500 miles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFds-EmlL0

Then I got a new engine @ 146XX miles.
14628 - 16889 mi 0.35qt low in 3000 miles.
Does your Subie Forster have 170 hp 2.5L H4, or 250 hp 2.0L turbo H4? I can see your oil consumption was progressively getting worse, even got to 3/4 quarts per 500 miles. Our VW Passat 2.8L V6 has steady oil consumption at 1 quart per 800~1,000 miles since new. And I'd been fighting with VWoA for this issue many times with all the documents. But the bottom line is, according to VWoA it's normal for that kind of oil consumption and for that they refused to fix the problem!

Thanks for sharing the experience on your Forester.

The manufactures will tell you 1 quart of oil consumption per 800~1,000 miles is within spec! To me, I don't like any oil consumption while the car is new. Our '98 Honda CR-V uses no oil during each 5,000-mile oil change when it was new. The same on our 2000 BMW 528i. At 170K miles the CR-V now consumes about 1/4 quarts of oil per 5,000 miles.
Standard manufacturer response for oil consumption. Gets expensive with synthetic oil adding a quart every 1000 miles. Sooner or later youre going to have fouled plugs or a clogged catalytic converter if loss isnt due to some kind of leak. Out of the last 5 new vehicles Ive owned, this is the first vehicle that used oil under 30k miles, even during break-in which was about quart. So I started playing with different oils to try to determine if it was mechanical or chemical. The manufacturer boasts a new engine design with closer tolerances, so I really didnt know what to think. My stepdaughter has a 2014 CX5 and she got her oil changes at the dealer which uses Castrol and she used 1/2 of a quart over 4000 miles. I started changing her oil with the Mobile 1 and her oil usage stopped. Face it, when you see oil consumption of any kind, you start to wonder whats going on and it becomes a wait-and-see game. But, yeah, 6 ounces over 6000 miles is of no consequence, especially down Florida where its relatively warm all the time. Im not an advocate for Mobile 1, used to use Pennzoil Platinum all the time until they reformulated, havent had the chance to try the new stuff. Glad to see the OP getting good results with it.

Back