What have you done to your P5 today?

Speaking of ignition switches...

Replaced the worn unit on the daily with a newerish junkyard part, such an easy swap! Now the thing fires up first go without wiggling the key.

EXCEPT Mazda decided to make the BJ I and the BJ II switch different for some reason? (Whyyyyyyyyyy Mazda, whyyyy?) So I had to dissasemble and swap the guts over to keep the plug socket correct.

Reactions: pcb
EXCEPT Mazda decided to make the BJ I and the BJ II switch different for some reason? (Whyyyyyyyyyy Mazda, whyyyy?) So I had to dissasemble and swap the guts over to keep the plug socket correct.

They are just making sure that year, make, and model are not enough info...
They want to make sure you also memorize your VIN for the guy at the parts counter :)

Here's one for sale :)

$9,000!

I nearly bought an AWD familia for a daily but it ended up going for far too much and had some weird shifter issues.

From memory it's a 80/20 split arrangement for snowy mountain roads in Japan, they all seem to be manual 2.0L only with all the good suspension stuff as well

Patched a brand new tire with less than 1k miles, figures lol. Then on the way home it stalled at a red light. Vacuum leak on no.3 fuel injector O ring and one on the inside of the car, think it's the brake booster. Here we go

Attachments

• Here_we_go_again.jpg
    Here_we_go_again.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 68
I am very concerned about my P5 right now.

I started it this morning and was greeted by what seemed to be a definite knock, for about 20 seconds and then lessening for the next 2-3 minutes as the car warmed up.
It was 30F out, the oil is at the full line on the dipstick, it's been about 2k miles since I changed it last with brand name 5w30 and it looks just slightly brown. Oh and just ticked over 170k on the odometer. It does not make any noise once warm or under acceleration, but now that I think about it, the knocking at startup started more recently and has gotten worse.

And now I am left wondering...is this the end for my dear little Protege5?

Oh also, not sure if it matters but I do know my knock sensor needs replacing. The goo is oozing out.

Last edited:
I am very concerned about my P5 right now.

I started it this morning and was greeted by what seemed to be a definite knock, for about 20 seconds and then lessening for the next 2-3 minutes as the car warmed up.
It was 30F out, the oil is at the full line on the dipstick, it's been about 2k miles since I changed it last with brand name 5w30 and it looks just slightly brown. Oh and just ticked over 170k on the odometer. It does not make any noise once warm or under acceleration, but now that I think about it, the knocking at startup started more recently and has gotten worse.

And now I am left wondering...is this the end for my dear little Protege5?

Oh also, not sure if it matters but I do know my knock sensor needs replacing. The goo is oozing out.
it wouldn't hurt to get a blackstone oil kit sent off to check for any contamination or excess metals in the oil.

it wouldn't hurt to get a blackstone oil kit sent off to check for any contamination or excess metals in the oil.
That's a good point, and it did cross my mind while thinking about it this morning. It's mostly a question of cost though. But I will check it out.

I did order a new knock sensor, since it's already been on my list of things to fix and I needed to make a RockAuto order. I'm not assuming it'll fix anything, but it does eliminate it as a possibility.

Edit: I went on Blackstone's website and requested a free sample kit. Looks like it only costs $30 which is cheaper than I remember it being, so I will probably do that when it arrives in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the idea INYOURCHAIR!

Last edited:
Hey where can I find the one that you bought any issues with yourself so far I have a 21 CX-5 that I’m planning to install

Not sure if this is the one he used, but this one is universal and I ran it on my 2008 MX-5.

Brake Light Pulser

decided to help the side skirt off the car. It had been going for a whilleeeeee. Didn't drive the car for a month, gave it a jump start. Purring like a kitten still at 262k.

eTGQG9r.jpg
Nooooooooooooooooooo! Makes me sad to see this. On the other hand....gram strategy! ;) :D

Speaking of ignition switches...

Replaced the worn unit on the daily with a newerish junkyard part, such an easy swap! Now the thing fires up first go without wiggling the key.

I just ordered an ignition switch from MazdaSwag. It wasn't much more than the Standard or Beck/Arnley part on RockAuto. Got $2 off shipping using code "SWAG."

If any of you are having trouble visiting mazdas247 using Firefox, it's probably related to Let's Encrypt revoking a bunch of their SSL certificates. I'm sure @Antoine has been made aware of this by now. :)

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
GP7A-66-151​
Ignition Switch​
$41.36​
1​
$41.36​

Subtotal: $41.36​
Estimated Shipping to 75209 via Standard Shipping: $8.93​
Discount: -$1.79​
Total: $48.50​

Hey where can I find the one that you bought any issues with yourself so far I have a 21 CX-5 that I’m planning to install
Nah, this is the one........3rdbrakelightflasher dot com....S1 universal, hook it up 3 different ways for slower or faster flash....$16.95. Have it on 3 vehicles. Works flawlessly. I think they have another version that you can change flashing somehow without rewiring.

yeah, they have 2 other models if you scroll down on that link....but only show the S1 available on their site. You might score one of the other models off ebay if you care about those extra features. Basic was and has been enough for my purposes.

ordered the key fob for mine and tried programming it. can get into programming mode but no response from the car when pressing the lock button twice, going to try and see if the remote even transmits tomorrow after work. From what I have read there may be a different fob for the 03.5 model which I believe mine is, will double check. I did find the module and investigated it for damage, failed capicitors and cold/broken solder joints and corroded pins, it looks OK. Also called around trying to find a windshield replacement but one of the suppliers is down and the others don't stock it. failing the windshield replacement I will be ordering a few other things like the tribute wiper stalk for the wiper delay and the tribute washer nozzles. warmer weather permitting the pass floor leak will get fixed hopefully, I got it down to a few ounces in a night of rain, down from the near full floor pan it would produce when the side drains were plugged 😂.

Back