What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Great update. Many more miles to come. Its a solid car. And yeah, the seats are one of the few cons. Even the 2022 is not much of an upgrade on the seats.

3M Ceramic IR on the windshield gives off a polarized look.
October,12,2022,01’30’12PM.png

Oil/filter change, rotated tires, changed rear diff fluid and pulled/cleaned the breather on the rear diff (forgot what a PITA that is). I'm also going to change the transfer case fluid but need to get some more brass washers for the drain/fill plugs first.

Oil/filter change, rotated tires, changed rear diff fluid and pulled/cleaned the breather on the rear diff (forgot what a PITA that is). I'm also going to change the transfer case fluid but need to get some more brass washers for the drain/fill plugs first.
So you’re doing routine cleaning to the breather on the rear differential? There’s an updated vent for real differential based on a TSB, may be you can consider to replace the old breather?

You have a ‘15 CX-5, do you use normal 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube as stated in the manual, or the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 Mazda recommended after 2016 MY?

Finally, how much gear oil did you put in to your rear differential? 0.45 quart as stated in the specs, or 0.75 quart to bring the lube level to the brim of the fill hole as instructed in the Factory Workshop Manual?

So you’re doing routine cleaning to the breather on the rear differential? There’s an updated vent for real differential based on a TSB, may be you can consider to replace the old breather?

You have a ‘15 CX-5, do you use normal 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube as stated in the manual, or the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 Mazda recommended after 2016 MY?

Finally, how much gear oil did you put in to your rear differential? 0.45 quart as stated in the specs, or 0.75 quart to bring the lube level to the brim of the fill hole as instructed in the Factory Workshop Manual?
Wasn't aware of the updated breather, I'll look into that. Thanks.

I have used Redline 75w90 from the first time I changed it. I always fill gear housings until the fluid comes out of the fill plug. Based on the weight of the remaining fluid in the container I suspect it did actually take around 0.5 quart to fill to that point. Not sure why the factory manual would give a different amount (I have seen similar issues with things like the torque value for the flywheel bolts on my Miata, with a different value spec'd between the engine manual and the main factory manual).

Wasn't aware of the updated breather, I'll look into that. Thanks.

I have used Redline 75w90 from the first time I changed it. I always fill gear housings until the fluid comes out of the fill plug. Based on the weight of the remaining fluid in the container I suspect it did actually take around 0.5 quart to fill to that point. Not sure why the factory manual would give a different amount (I have seen similar issues with things like the torque value for the flywheel bolts on my Miata, with a different value spec'd between the engine manual and the main factory manual).

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

I've ordered the replacement diff breather/vent hose mentioned in TSB to address that potential problem

KE02-27-090

Wonder if that is what caused Unobtanium's rear diff failure years ago?

View attachment 305273

View attachment 305275View attachment 305276View attachment 305277

Easy replacement of that new rear diff breather.

I've changed my rear diff fluid 3 times now and all took around 2/3 quart (21 ounces).. never at spec in documentation.

Hello everyone. First time poster. Did my brake pads and rotors, restored my headlights with a 3M restore kit, and swapped my Blizzaks on for the early winter season in northern MN. Love my CX-5! AWD has been undefeated with proper tires.

I did both an oil change (high mileage 5w30) and Transmission fluid drain and fill (type FZ).

In the past, drain and fills usually got me ~3 1/2 quarts drained of the old fluid, but this time I got the full 4 quarts. Good thing it didn't drain more as 4 quarts is all I had of new fluid which has gotten pretty expensive compared to the last time I did this service.

EDIT: 118,650 miles for reference.

Last edited:
Hit a column while pulling out of my parking spot. I was understandably really mad at myself.
1666922942229.png

After cleaning it a bit:
IMG_6595.JPG
Dropped it at the dealership September 30th, went on vacation and picked it up a couple of days ago. Good as new! (except there is a tone difference between the plastic parts which will soon disappear I hope)
IMG_7043.JPG

I was on vacation in Europe and had the chance to drive a propane-powered (LPG) Corolla for 3 weeks. It drove just like a petrol car (it becomes a hybrid anyway) while saving ~40% on fuel costs. I am seriously researching propane conversions in North America, and according to a distributor I talked to, if I go through with it, it might end up being the first propane-converted Mazda in North America. I just need to learn more about the cost. I heard it costs anywhere between $1000-$9000 which is ridiculous.

Hit a column while pulling out of my parking spot. I was understandably really mad at myself.
View attachment 313870
After cleaning it a bit:
View attachment 313869
Dropped it at the dealership September 30th, went on vacation and picked it up a couple of days ago. Good as new! (except there is a tone difference between the plastic parts which will soon disappear I hope)
View attachment 313871

I was on vacation in Europe and had the chance to drive a propane-powered (LPG) Corolla for 3 weeks. It drove just like a petrol car (it becomes a hybrid anyway) while saving ~40% on fuel costs. I am seriously researching propane conversions in North America, and according to a distributor I talked to, if I go through with it, it might end up being the first propane-converted Mazda in North America. I just need to learn more about the cost. I heard it costs anywhere between $1000-$9000 which is ridiculous.

Looks like the dealership did a great job on the paint. That's always a relief when it comes to these fancy multi-stage paints.

Wow, such a wide range in price in the propane conversions. I didn't even know conversions were possible. Interesting!

View attachment 313870
After cleaning it a bit:
View attachment 313869
View attachment 313871

Looks like something I did recently involving a similar incident in a parking garage, and you better believe I berated myself over it. How much did that run you to fix?

Looks like the dealership did a great job on the paint. That's always a relief when it comes to these fancy multi-stage paints.

Wow, such a wide range in price in the propane conversions. I didn't even know conversions were possible. Interesting!
Yeah, they did! They apparently painted parts of the rear fender and the driver door to match the colour.

Propane conversions are much cheaper in Europe, like around 1200 Euros for a 2.5 CX-5. There are some conversion videos on YouTube too, but they are all in Polish.

Looks like something I did recently involving a similar incident in a parking garage, and you better believe I berated myself over it. How much did that run you to fix?
The overall cost was $2500 Canadian, I just paid a $500 deductible.

Yeah, they did! They apparently painted parts of the rear fender and the driver door to match the colour.

Propane conversions are much cheaper in Europe, like around 1200 Euros for a 2.5 CX-5. There are some conversion videos on YouTube too, but they are all in Polish.

The overall cost was $2500 Canadian, I just paid a $500 deductible.
Ah. Insurance. My deductible is sadly at $1k to stay semi affordable in my area. Not worth that much to me to fix. A few hundred, sure.

I've watched lpg videos on YouTube and was definitely intrigued by it. But the only down side is the unknown collision safety aspect.
Apparently both the conversion kits and the tanks have a bunch of safety features and at least in Europe, there are strict regulations about LPG. Renault sells LPG-powered Clios in France. Honda sells LPG-powered Civics in Turkey.
I am personally not worried by the safety aspect but more about the maintenance and longevity issues. I read that the LPG system needs to be re-calibrated regularly in order to avoid harming the engine.
I was also worried that the tank would take a lot of space in the trunk, but they can place the tank where the spare tire would be.

Back