What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Mazda noticed it was leaking by the seal, they replaced the seal. I went in for another oil change and they noticed it was leaking from the new seal. Then they realized the rear diff was bad, my Service Tech pitched a fit and I went home with a new rear diff free of charge. ** Disclaimer, I drive an average of 5000 miles and I'm their most frequent customer and have a good relationship with my Service Tech.
You got a new rear differential for free without warranty? Good for you!

Mazda noticed it was leaking by the seal, they replaced the seal. I went in for another oil change and they noticed it was leaking from the new seal. Then they realized the rear diff was bad, my Service Tech pitched a fit and I went home with a new rear diff free of charge. ** Disclaimer, I drive an average of 5000 miles and I'm their most frequent customer and have a good relationship with my Service Tech.
This may be rare, but it happens,, If you brng your car to the dealer for all your service, even those overpriced 30k, 60k mile services, they have gone to bat for the customer to Mazda. They may argue that they know the vehicle and service it regularly, and that such-and-such must be a defect. Not saying it happens often, but it does happen

This may be rare, but it happens,, If you brng your car to the dealer for all your service, even those overpriced 30k, 60k mile services, they have gone to bat for the customer to Mazda. They may argue that they know the vehicle and service it regularly, and that such-and-such must be a defect. Not saying it happens often, but it does happen
Well, a defect of any components still won’t be covered for free by any car manufactures if there’s no warranty, unless there’s a safety recall issued. In his case, more likely the dealer ate some cost as the Mazda North American Operations most likely won’t cover a full free replacement on the rear differential without warranty.

There’ll always be exceptions, such as some free 2.2L diesel engine replacement without warranty happened in Australia.

Well, a defect of any components still won’t be covered for free by any car manufactures if there’s no warranty, unless there’s a safety recall issued. In his case, more likely the dealer ate some cost as the Mazda North American Operations most likely won’t cover a full free replacement on the rear differential without warranty.

There’ll always be exceptions, such as some free 2.2L diesel engine replacement without warranty happened in Australia.
This’s typical how the MNAO handles the big item failures without warranty, paying partially as a goodwill gesture.

My 2016 CX-9 had 62500 miles when I discovered the coolant leak. Check engine light and high coolant temp warnings. Had to work with Mazda customer support directly because the dealer couldn't file a warranty properly. Mazda covered half the cost of a new engine. The date code on my new engine is March 2021.

Had a warm but gray day yesterday so I installed the ACP/AA module and harness and am happy I did it myself, no need for dealer install cost, it was super easy thanks to youtube and info found here on these forums (thanks fellow members!).

25D14B65-CC04-45FF-A9A4-F3DC72256C87.jpeg

Attachments

• CA53D616-6890-4499-893F-DC730FC73955.jpeg
    CA53D616-6890-4499-893F-DC730FC73955.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 103
Picked up a nail from somewhere so put the temp spare on yesterday to take the punctured one to be repaired. First time I have driven on a temp spare, I thought my front axle bearings were failing from the noise it made. Thankfully only had to drive on it for six miles total. Puncture is fixed (pull-through patch) so no more noise.

Picked up a nail from somewhere so put the temp spare on yesterday to take the punctured one to be repaired. First time I have driven on a temp spare, I thought my front axle bearings were failing from the noise it made. Thankfully only had to drive on it for six miles total. Puncture is fixed (pull-through patch) so no more noise.
Yes I heard the same noise when I had the stock T145/90D16 compact spare at right front when the road tire had a nail. The noise was gone once the new tires were put on. I wonder if I use T155/90D18 compact spare I also have which has the same overall diameter as road tires and will the horrible noise still be there?

What do you mean by “pull-through patch”? Did the tire store took the tire off the rim and put a patch from inside?

We seem to get at least 1 nail a year in every car. I always just plug them at home. Only takes a few minutes, and have had ZERO drawbacks from the past decade of doing so.

Awhile back I changed all the car's exterior bulbs, except head and fog lamps, to LED, all from superbrightleds.com. I went with the 7443 27-LED red bulbs for the rear main brake lights, but to my eyes there wasn't enough difference between the tail and brake light functions.

So today I pulled them out and put in their 7443 28-LED bulbs which are a bit longer but still fit in the housing. Definitely brighter, and more of a difference between tail and brake light bulbs. And they're actually half the price of the 27-LED versions for some reason.

The spec sheet lists the 27-LED red bulb as 11/36 lumens, but the 28-LED version is 45/185 lumens. I'm not sure if the difference is really that drastic, but a side-by-side comparison on the car with each bulb definitely shows the new ones are brighter.

Only problem was that I placed the order around Thanksgiving, and made the mistake of choosing economy shipping. It sat in a UPS facility for over a month, and just showed up today.

We seem to get at least 1 nail a year in every car. I always just plug them at home. Only takes a few minutes, and have had ZERO drawbacks from the past decade of doing so.
In theory there’s always a potential that the plug would be getting loose or dislodged during driving, especially at the highway speed. A friend of ours whose TPMS warning light was on and by my suggestion she took her 2018 Toyota Camry with only 2,000 miles to Discount Tire for a check up. The tech found her right-front stock tire had a plug (done by a garage previously) and was leaking air. DT refused to repair the tire again properly for “safety reason” and she had to buy a new (and same) tire for $220! She should just take the car to DT the first time she had the nail for a free flat repair, as DT will fix the flat with proper (safer and legal) method (take the tire off the rim and put a patch from inside) for free even on stock tires.

I've only ever had an issue with a plug once, on one of my Integra's 205/45-16 tires that picked up a nail about an inch from the edge of the sidewall. I would plug it and a few hundred miles later it would start leaking again. Plugged it over and over maybe 4 or 5 times. Finally took it to get it patched and they said it was too close to the edge to patch, so I was out of luck anyway. The glob of plugs inside the tire looked rather humorous. But other than that I've never had any issues with leaking or any other failure.

Yes I heard the same noise when I had the stock T145/90D16 compact spare at right front when the road tire had a nail. The noise was gone once the new tires were put on. I wonder if I use T155/90D18 compact spare I also have which has the same overall diameter as road tires and will the horrible noise still be there?

What do you mean by “pull-through patch”? Did the tire store took the tire off the rim and put a patch from inside?

From the owner's manual.

"WARNING
Do not install the temporary spare tire
on the front wheels (driving wheels):
Driving with the temporary spare tire
on one of the front driving wheels is
dangerous. Handling will be affected.
You could lose control of the vehicle,
especially on ice or snow bound
roads, and have an accident. Move a
regular tire to the front wheel and
install the temporary spare tire to the
rear."

From the owner's manual.

"WARNING
Do not install the temporary spare tire
on the front wheels (driving wheels):
Driving with the temporary spare tire
on one of the front driving wheels is
dangerous. Handling will be affected.
You could lose control of the vehicle,
especially on ice or snow bound
roads, and have an accident. Move a
regular tire to the front wheel and
install the temporary spare tire to the
rear."
Yes, but we’re talking about strange noise with smaller compact spare tire at front, not about losing control of the vehicle. Besides, we drove a short distance slowly and locally straight to the tire store for flat repair, just don’t see any possibility of losing control of the vehicle.

I've had to mount a compact spare on a car while out on the road (not at home) exactly one time in my 25 years of driving. My Integra had a front tire flat on the interstate. I decided to move a rear tire up front to ensure nothing bad happened from the mismatched tire sizes between the drive wheels, the differential etc.

I know the Honda S2000 specifies using the spare on the front only, and not the rear (drive wheels), likely due to the limited slip diff. I need to read up but I suspect my Miata with factory LSD may be the same way.

I know the Honda S2000 specifies using the spare on the front only, and not the rear (drive wheels), likely due to the limited slip diff. I need to read up but I suspect my Miata with factory LSD may be the same way.

As far as I can tell, the Miata doesn't come with a spare tire. Instead you have an Emergency Tire Repair Kit, assuming you have an ND.

The Owner's Manual for the NC states the same, but there is mention of an optional spare tire. In that case, it says to just replace the damaged tire with the spare, but there is no mention of where the spare should be mounted.

Last edited:
Yes, but we’re talking about strange noise with smaller compact spare tire at front, not about losing control of the vehicle. Besides, we drove a short distance slowly and locally straight to the tire store for flat repair, just don’t see any possibility of losing control of the vehicle.

My point was that perhaps the noise that you mentioned is from the mismatch in size of the tires on the front and causing some issue with the transaxle. Not good.

Back